Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Alvingham
 
Alvingham, Canal Lock
Alvingham, Canal Lock
Alvingham, Canal Lock

The lock at Alvingham was one of eight on the Louth Navigation which linked Louth to the sea near Tetney.

The canal was designed by John Grundy, and opened in 1770, remaining in use until 1924.

This view shows the unusual concave brick sections which make up the lock wall. This design enabled the walls to resist lateral ground pressure more effectively.

Frank Robinson, 2011

See Louth Navigation, a history: Stuart Sizer

Alvingham, canal, Grundy, lock, Navigation, Louth,
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold

The church of St. Adelwold, Alvingham, shares a churchyard with St. Mary's of North Cockerington.

It has a 13th century tower, Perpendicular nave windows and a brick chancel of 1806.

Mark Acton, 2008


Alvingham,
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold

This well known view shows the churches of St Adelwold, Alvingham (nearest the camera) and St Mary, North Cockerington sharing a churchyard.

In the foreground is the Louth Canal.

undated postcard

Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold

The tower of St Adelwold's church dates from the late thirteenth century.

The church was restored by W G Watkins in 1933 after a period of disuse.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1996

Alvingham, St Adelwold church, W G Watkins
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold

Arthur Mee states :-

"For a hundred years St Adelwold's church was closed and neglected, but in 1933 it was beautifully restored in memory of Robert Armstrong Yerburgh, MP, who died in 1916.

A fitting tribute it is, for in the church chest were found documents showing that the Yerburghs had been associated with Alvingham for 800 years.

Most of the old work in the church is 14th-century.

The embattled tower has a richly moulded arch on corbels, the 14th-century font is on an inverted 15th-century capital, and there are three little sprays of leaves in old glass.

The modern woodwork is in pleasing harmony with the simple interior"

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold
Alvingham, St Adelwold

Viewed from the east with the red brick chancel and north chapel, both of 1806, prominent.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church, (St. Adelwold,) is a small structure, with a tower at the west end, and is a perpetual curacy, valued in K.B, at £2, and now at £130, with that of Cockerington St. Mary annexed to it.

The joint benefices have been augmented with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty.

The Bishop of Lincoln is patron, and the Rev. Henry Howard, MA., is the incumbent"

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel

The chancel (and north chapel off to the left) were built in 1806 and throroughly restored in 1933.

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel

More detailed view of the sanctuary with C20 altar rail.

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel, Monument
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel, Monument
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Chancel, Monument

"Grey and white marble monument with urn to John Emeris, died 1835"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063076 

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church, John Emeris
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave

Looking east towards the broad C14 chancel arch.

"C20 pews, altar rail and pulpit. C19 roofs"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063076 

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch. 

"Interior tower arch of c.1300, with richly moulded, pointed head supported on plain polygonal corbel to north, and stylised foliate corbel to south"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063076 

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Font
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Font
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Font

"C13 octagonal font on richly moulded base and plinth"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063076 

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church, font
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Monument
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Monument
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Monument

Arthur Mee states :-

"For a hundred years St Adelwold's church was closed and neglected, but in 1933 it was beautifully restored in memory of Robert Armstrong Yerburgh, MP, who died in 1916.

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Pulpit
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Pulpit
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Nave, Pulpit

Pulpit presumably dating from the 1933 restoration.

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church, pulpit
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Roll of Honour
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Roll of Honour
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Roll of Honour

Alvingham & North Cockerington.

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church, roll of honour, north cockerington
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Tower, West Window
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Tower, West Window
Alvingham, St Adelwold, Tower, West Window

Arthur Mee states :-

"No other church in England is dedicated to the Saxon saint Adelwold (or Ethelwald), who became Bishop of Lindisfarne.

He was a monk at Ripon before he went to live a solitary life where St Cuthbert had lived, in a cell on the island of Farne.

There he spent 12 years, and once, the venerable Bede relates, calmed a storm which was threatening some of his visitors.

He was laid to rest beside St Cuthbert at Lindisfarne"

DB 8 September 2019

Alvingham, Saint Adelwold, church, glass
Alvingham, Watermill
Alvingham, Watermill
Alvingham, Watermill

Alvingham watermill is close to the Louth Navigation about 3 miles north east of Louth (TF 367914).

The present structure dates from the eighteenth century with nineteenth-century alterations.

The breast shot waterwheel, 11 feet in diameter, is driven by water taken from the nearby river Lud.

In the 1970s, the mill was restored to full working order.

There has been a mill on this site since the 12th century.

Frank Robinson, 2011

Alvingham, Louth Navigation, watermill, Lud, waterwheel,