This important house and estate belonged to a succession of notable families until owned by the Carres in the 16th century and the Whichcotes in the following century.
It is still owned by the Whichcotes, though the house was demolished in 1952.
More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 1', published by SLHA. Buy a copy.
Much of the nave construction is from the Decorated period. The tower and spire are a little later (Perpendicular).
This view from the south-west shows the fine Perpendicular tower of St Denis's church. The spire, of the same period, has a simple array of 4 lucarnes.
The chancel of St Denis's church, seen here from the south-east, was rebuilt for Sir Thomas Whichcote by Edward Blore* in 1839-41
* Edward Blore (1787-1879) was an eminent landscape artist and architect. He was responsible for remodelling Lambeth Palace and completed work on Buckingham Palace after Nash.
View of the church from the north-east. Structural problems have beset the church in the recent past and the top of the spire has become dislodged (cf. photo of 2013).
A circular font with four corner shafts dating from the Transitional period. An unusual design.
A memorial to George Bass, explorer, who was baptised in the church in 1771.
Mark Acton, 2017
The inscription on the memorial to George Bass.
A hatchment in memory of Marianne, wife of Sir Thomas Whichcote, 7th Baronet. She died 10 May 1849.
The four-bay arcade with quatrefoil pillars dates from the Decorated period.
This fine relief is a memorial to Lady Whichcote (d.1849) by Thomas Campbell*.
* Thomas Campbell (1790-1858) renowned Scottish sculptor
This is the fine Transitional south doorway at St Denis's church.