White's History, Gazetteer And Directory Of Lincolnshire 1872 states :-
"LINCOLNSHIRE COUNTY PAUPER LUNATIC ASYLUM is an extensive establishment pleasantly situated in Bracebridge heath, two miles South of Lincoln, on an elevated and healthy site near the high road to Sleaford.
The institution was opened in 1852 for 250 patients, since which considerable additions have been made, and it has now room for upwards of 600.
The plan and arrangements of this large asylum are in accordance with the most approved modern systems.
Attached to it are about 120 acres of land.
The building, which is plain Italian throughout, occupies with the court and airing grounds seven acres; about eight acres more are occupied by gardens, lawns, plantations, and roads; thus leaving about 105 acres for the farm, which is partly cultivated by spade husbandry, and gives healthy employment to a large number of male patients.
In 1870, the average number of patients was 582, consisting of 280 males, and 302 females.
Many of the latter are employed in the laundry, kitchen, needlework, &c.
A new detached chapel, containing 450 sittings, was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln, in 1869, and the original chapel appropriated to a recreation hall, in which the patients have weekly entertainments.
One of the most agreeable features of the asylum is the excellent manner in which the airing grounds are planted and laid; the flower beds, which are carefully kept and well stocked with bright and gay flowers, have a most cheerful aspect, which cannot but be gratifying and beneficial to the patients ..."
DB 25 February 2019