"Money for the building was raised by public subscription and Thomas Wilcox was commissioned as architect.
Local builders Messrs Wilcox and Son were given the job and completed it at a cost of £315.
The chapel was opened the following year in May 1879"
For an excellent and much fuller history of Dyke and the Baptist Chapel please see :-
DB 20 August 2020
Date stone reading "1878".
The school room at the rear opened in 1895.
"Early C18 cottage in painted rubble"
Looking west along Main Road from the village green.
Village sign carries reference to Dyke's inclusion in the Doomsday Book.
"The Domesday Book records that in 1086 Orger the Briton owned land around Dyke which he divided into arable, pasture and woodland"
An original army hut from the Machine Gun Corps encampment at Belton Park.
Bought to Dyke in 1920 to serve as St Georges Mission Church.
The Mission Hall became the village hall in 1976.
"The shell of the last remaining smock mill in Lincolnshire"
"The smock mill is a type of windmill that consists of a sloping, horizontally weatherboarded, thatched, or shingled tower, usually with six or eight sides.
It is topped with a roof or cap that rotates to bring the sails into the wind.
This type of windmill got its name from its resemblance to smocks worn by farmers in an earlier period"
Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 "Sommerfield George Henry Duke, miller (wind)".
The mill ceased working in 1926 when one of its sails broke off.
Previously known as the Crown Inn.
Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 "Reed Walter, Crown inn" and in White's Directory 1856 "Crown, John Makings".