Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Grimsby
 
Great Grimsby Street Tramways
Great Grimsby Street Tramways
Great Grimsby Street Tramways

The Great Grimsby Street Tramways Company opened in 1881 using horse-drawn trams. Electric tramcars were introduced in 1901.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, tram
Grimsby Cenotaph
Grimsby Cenotaph
Grimsby Cenotaph

The Cenotaph commemorating the fallen of Grimsby in the First World War was unveiled on 18 December 1921. The work of Messrs William Fitzpatrick Ltd of Trafford Park, Manchester, the cenotaph of white Sicilian marble sits on Norwegian granite steps. The cost of £2500 was raised by public subscription.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Cenotaph
Grimsby, Albert Gardens
Grimsby, Albert Gardens
Grimsby, Albert Gardens

Grimsby Albert Gardens & Prince Consort Memorial commemorate Albert, Queen Victoria's consort, who died in 1861. It is in the East Marsh area of the town close to the docks.

The memorial was unveiled in 1879 and moved to the Dock Offices at the dock entrance in c.1980.

'Jay Em Jay' Series postcard, posted 1904

Grimsby, Albert Gardens, Prince Consort Memorial
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Fishing Heritage Museum
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Fishing Heritage Museum
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Fishing Heritage Museum

"The Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre is a heritage attraction at Alexandra Dock, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England, opened in 1991.

Winning the Blue Peter Children's Museum of the Year award in 1993.

It depicts the 1950s heyday of the distant waters fishing fleet.

The centre also hosts a programme of temporary exhibitions throughout the year"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby_Fishing_Heritage_Centre 

DB 4 February 2017 

Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Fishing heritage Museum
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, PS Lincoln Castle
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, PS Lincoln Castle
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, PS Lincoln Castle

View of Alexandra Dock at Grimsby showing the destruction of the PS Lincoln Castle at the stage reached on 15 October 2010.

The vessel was built on the Clyde in 1940 by A & J Inglis and was taken out of service in 1978.

It was the last coal-fired paddle steamer in regular service.

Chris Lester, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, Inglis, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger

"Ross Tiger is a traditional side-winder fishing trawler that was converted into a museum ship in 1992.

She is currently berthed in Alexandra Dock at her home port of Grimsby, close to the site of the former PS Lincoln Castle.

She forms the star attraction of North East Lincolnshire County Council's National Fishing Heritage Centre since restored and opened to the public in 1992.

As Grimsby's last traditional sidewinder 'conventional trawler', she represents a now virtually extinct breed of vessels that once made up the largest fishing fleet in the world"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Tiger 

DB 4 February 2017

Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger, Grimsby Side Trawler, Fishing Vessel
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger

"Built by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby in 1957"

"ROSS TIGER is Great Grimsby’s last remaining side-winder/side-trawler and serves as a memorial to those lost from the town in the most dangerous peacetime occupation in the UK.

Grimsby alone lost 21 vessels between 1950 to 1957 when ROSS TIGER was built.

Due to these dangers, ROSS TIGER was designed to be the very latest in stability and safety"

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/621/ross-tiger 

DB 4 February 2017 

Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger, Grimsby Side Trawler, Fishing Vessel
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger, Engine Room
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger, Engine Room
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Ross Tiger, Engine Room

"The ship still contains her original 1956 RUSTON of Lincoln 7VG BXM 780HP marine diesel engine which is one of the earliest marine diesels to be fitted to a ‘conventional side-winder’ and survives intact with period Napier turbo equipment"

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/621/ross-tiger 

DB 4 February 2017 

Grimsby, Ross Tiger, Grimsby Side Trawler, Fishing Vessel, Ruston diesel engine, Napier Turbocharger
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Victoria Mills
Grimsby, Alexandra Dock, Victoria Mills

The 8-storey Victoria Mills was built as a grain store in 1889 and is flanked by buildings of 1906, now converted to flats.

Corporation Bridge is an electrically operated lift bridge built in 1925.

The PS Lincoln Castle was a coal-fired paddle steamer which operated for many years as a Humber ferry between Hull and New Holland.

It was scrapped by its owner in 2010.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, paddle steamer, bridge, Alexandra Dock,
Grimsby, Brighowgate, County Courthouse & Police Station
Grimsby, Brighowgate, County Courthouse & Police Station
Grimsby, Brighowgate, County Courthouse & Police Station

Former county courthouse and police station.

"1902 by HC Scaping of Grimsby for Lindsey County Court"

"Edwardian Freestyle, with an unusual mixture of Baroque and Art Nouveau detailing"

"Operated as a Lindsey and Lincolnshire County Courthouse until the 1970s, with the County Police Station to the rear (Grimsby Borough had its own courthouse and police station at the Town Hall. 

A distinguished building in an unusual style and, together with Cleethorpes Town Hall (in Edwardian Classical style), Herbert Scaping's best work"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379379 

DB 13 October 2018

Grimsby, County Courthouse, Police Station, HC Scaping
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Monochrome reproduction of a painting of 1860.
Grimsby, Bull Ring
Grimsby, Central Hall
Grimsby, Central Hall
Grimsby, Central Hall

Grimsby Central Hall on Duncombe Street was opened in 1936 by the Methodist Church as a place of worship and community centre.

It has always been a concert venue too and still hosts a wide range of recitals and productions.

June 2017

Grimsby, Central Hall
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Caxton Theatre
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Caxton Theatre
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Caxton Theatre

Celebrating its 75th anniversay year.

https://caxtontheatre.com 

"The Caxton Players Society dates back to the early 1940s, during the Second World War, with perfromances to lift spirits during darker times.

Today, they are the only Society in the county with an auditorium, based in Grimsby, which offers seating for nearly 200 theatre-goers"

http://explorelincolnshire.co.uk/grimsby/cinemas-and-theatre/caxton-theatre-36862.html  

DB 10 November 2018 

Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Caxton Theatre
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Undated postcard of the principal thoroughfare linking the two towns.
Grimsby, Cleethorpes Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Undated postcard.
Grimsby, Cleethorpes Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road
Undated postcard, printed in Germany (almost certainly in the Edwardian period immediately before the First World War).
Grimsby, Cleethorpes Road
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Nat West Bank
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Nat West Bank
Grimsby, Cleethorpe Road, Nat West Bank

Former bank branch - Insription over the door on the corner states 

"LINCOLN BANK

GRIMSBY DOCKS BRANCH" 

On the corner of Cleethorpe Road and Riby Square. 

"1899-1900 by HC Scaping for the Union of London and Smiths Bank Limited"

"Edwardian Classical style"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379416

DB 10 November 2018 

Grimsby, Lincoln Bank, Union of London and Smiths Bank, HC Scaping
Grimsby, Corn Exchange
Grimsby, Corn Exchange
Grimsby, Corn Exchange

The Corn Exchange, erected in 1854 in the Market Place, was a structure of red brick with stone dressings in the Elizabethan style designed by Bellamy & Hardy of Lincoln.

postcard by Rock & Co, from drawing of 1862

Grimsby, corn exchange, Bellamy & Hardy, Rock & Co
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower

The 303 ft dock tower was built in about 1850, in the style of that of Siena town hall.

Originally the tower contained a 33,000 gallon water tank at a height of 200 ft, the head of water providing the hydraulic pressure to operate the dock gates and dockside cranes.

This early use of hydraulics was designed by Newcastle engineer William Armstrong.

The high pressure hydraulic accumulator tower (seen to the left) replaced the original system in 1892.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Grimsby, water tank, Armstrong, hydraulic accumulator,
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower

The splendid dock tower at Grimsby (92.4m high) has been widely admired since its construction in 1851.

Coupled to a steam operated pump it provided a low pressure hydraulic system for operating lock gates and was replaced by the high pressure accumulator tower (23.7m), seen here to the right.

card posted 1906

Grimsby, dock tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Dock Tower

An earlier illustration of the dock tower showing the sea lock alongside.

FCC Series postcard, undated

Grimsby, Dock Tower
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks

This postcard of Grimsby Docks shows the dock tower, the Royal Dock and the fish docks.

On the left is the Royal Dock, which opened in 1852, and was given the name 'Royal' following the visit of Victoria and Albert two years later.

The original fish dock dates from 1856 and a second fish dock was added in 1877 - a later extension to the east being made in 1934 (all to the right in this view).

Out of view is the Alexandra Dock.

Grimsby, fish, tower,
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks

A remarkable image of fish being transported in barrels and crates in the early 20th century.

postcard printed in Germany, 1910

Grimsby, docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks
Grimsby, Docks

Painting by J W Carmichael* of the construction of the Royal Dock in 1852, the year of its opening.

* James Wilson Carmichael (1800-1868) was a celebrated marine artist.

Grimsby, Docks Carmichael
Grimsby, Fish Dock
Grimsby, Fish Dock
Grimsby, Fish Dock

1963: the heyday of the fishing industry has passed; diesel engines have replaced sail and steam and there are far fewer trawlers based in Grimsby.

postcard, 1963

Grimsby, Fish Dock
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street

One of Grimsby's principal shopping streets in the 1960s/70s.

undated postcard, ETW, Dennis Scarborough

Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street

An Edwardian scene of commercial activity.

Jay-em-Jay Series postcard, undated

Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Freeman Street

Freeman Street was always a lively shopping centre in the Edwardian period.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, undated

Grimsby, Freeman Street
Grimsby, Garden Street, Signal Box
Grimsby, Garden Street, Signal Box
Grimsby, Garden Street, Signal Box

Reported by GrimsbyLive that :-

"Opened in 1881, and fortified with a new brick base to protect it from bombs in the Second World War, the signal box guided its last train into nearby Grimsby Station in September 1993"

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/stop-rot-33-pieces-history-1718435 

DB 13 October 2018

Grimsby, Garden Street, Signal Box
Grimsby, Holme Hill School
Grimsby, Holme Hill School
Grimsby, Holme Hill School

Built in 1876-8 in Gothic style, with a three-storey clock tower over the main entrance, Holme Hill School is by the architect Charles Bell, who won a nationwide competition for its design.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Grimsby, Holme Hill School, Charles Bell
Grimsby, Holme Hill School
Grimsby, Holme Hill School
Grimsby, Holme Hill School

A view of the school's south elevation taken from the north-west.

June 2017

Grimsby,
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital

The hospital shown opened in 1877 on a site in the West Marsh area of Grimsby.

A new ward was built in 1885, the first of many such additions.  By 1910, an X-ray department had been established.

The hospital continued to adapt, serving the people of Grimsby, Cleethorpes and surrounding area until 1983, when the new Diana Princess of Wales hospital opened in the south of the town.

The old buildings were subsequently demolished to make way for housing.

Postcard, 1905

See: Grimsby: Making the Town  by Alan Dowling

Grimsby, hospital, West Marsh
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital

The same scene as the previous card, but in colour.

The Arcadian Series postcard, 1937

Grimsby, Hospital, Arcadian series
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

Grimsby Ice Factory, which commenced production in 1901, provided the crushed ice which was required to preserve the catch in Grimsby trawlers during their lengthy journey back from the fishing grounds of the North Sea.

More ice was then needed to pack the fish for its rail journey, for Grimsby fish was widely distributed around Britain.

This photograph shows the east elevation of the factory on Gorton Street.  Conveyors carry ice across the road for direct loading onto trawlers.

Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2008

Grimsby, Ice Factory, fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

The 1901 Ice Factory building has two gables on the Gorton Street elevation constructed in red brick with attractive windows, recesses, arches and other features.

The insertion of ground floor doors, a first floor window and a fire escape detract from the original fine design.

The much faded words THE GRIMSBY ICE COMPANY LTD can still be discerned between the moulded brick bands above the first floor.

Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2008

 

Grimsby, Ice Factory, fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

The tank room on the first floor of the original Ice Factory building.

The two tanks on this floor contained more than 3000 suspended metal cans, each of which held 2 cwt (101kg) of fresh water.

Cooling was achieved by an ammonia gas expansion system powered by vertical valve compressors coupled to 600 bhp induction motors.

Sue Stone, GreatGIFT, 2011

Grimsby, Ice Factory, machinery
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

A view of the main compressor room which houses four vertical cylinder ammonia compressors manufactured by J&E Hall Ltd of Dartford, driven by Metropolitan Vickers 600 hp induction motors.

These were installed in 1930-34 to replace the original steam-powered plant without disruption to ice production. They are some of the largest ever made and are a unique survival.

Photo: Liz Humble, Purcell Miller Tritton

 

Grimsby, Ice, Fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

The can-filling equipment simultaneously filled a complete row of cans with a measured quantity of water. The water came from the factory's own fresh water boreholes situated at the dock.

The row of filled cans was then pushed forward in the refrigeration tank by screw-jacks to allow space for a new row of cans which had just been returned empty from the other end of the tank.

Photo: Liz Humble, Purcell Miller Tritton

 

Grimsby, Ice, Fishing
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory
Grimsby, Ice Factory

At the end of the tank room a row of ice cans is lying in the tipping cradle where the 100 kg blocks of ice would have been emptied out onto the wooden handling platform before being sent to the crushers or for storage as blocks.

Photo: Liz Humble, Purcell Miller Tritton

Grimsby, Ice, fishing
Grimsby, Lifeboat
Grimsby, Lifeboat
Grimsby, Lifeboat
undated postcard
Grimsby, lifeboat
Grimsby, Lock Hill
Grimsby, Lock Hill
Grimsby, Lock Hill

Painting by G Skelton of the sea lock at Lock Hill, dated 1840.

This was prior to the major development of the port of Grimsby and the creation of the docks in the mid-Victorian period.

undated postcard, published by Doughty Museum

Grimsby, Lock Hill, G Skelton
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place

The Market Place with the tower of the parish church of St James in view.

On the extreme right foreground is the entrance ot the Corn Exhange.

Reliable Series postcard, 1905

Grimsby, Old Market Place, Reliable Series
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place
Grimsby, Old Market Place

The small traingular Market Place is viewed looking west from the end of Bethlehem Street.

The tall building ahead on the right with the prominent quoins is the Corn Exchange, now demolished.

Valentine postcard, undated

Grimsby, Old Market Place, corn exchange, Valentine
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

The park is still a valued recreation area, with improvements including a new pavilion being made in 2009.

Valentine postcard, undated


Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened in 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park

People's Park in Grimsby was officially opened on 17 August 1883.

The 27 acres of land were a gift to the council from Edward Heneage of Hainton, a prominent landowner, who was influential in the town's development.

Undated postcard

Grimsby, Edward Heneage, People's Park
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates

This view - and the variations shown in the two images which follow -  was a popular subject for Grimsby postcards in the Edwardian period.

Peacock Brand postcard, 1911

Grimsby, Park Gates and Lodge
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates

The park keeper's lodge was part of William Barron's original design for the park.

It was demolished in 1992 and replaced by a chalet style house.

The Artistic Series postcard, 1911

Grimsby, Park Lodge, William Barron
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates
Grimsby, People's Park, Lodge & Gates

The entrance gates, made of cast iron, were erected in 1884 and demolished in 1943 as part of the war effort.

They marked the entrance from Park Drive.

Grimsby, People's park entrance, Park Drive
Grimsby, Railway Station, first train 1848
Grimsby, Railway Station, first train 1848
Grimsby, Railway Station, first train 1848

An engraving depicting the first train reaching Grimsby on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1848.

This appeared in the Illustrated London News

Grimsby, railway station first train 1848
Grimsby, royal visit
Grimsby, royal visit
Grimsby, royal visit

King George V & Queen Mary visited Grimsby on the morning of 22 July 1912 prior to the opening of Immingham Docks the same day.

postcard by J. S. Bullen of Grimsby

Grimsby, royal visit, George V
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock

Grimsby Royal Dock was built by the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1846-52. Its area is approximately 20 acres (8 Ha).

The quay walls are constructed as series of brick and stone arches to withstand the pressure of the weak alluvial soil.

F. C. C. Series of Hull posted 1912

Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock
Grimsby, Royal Dock

Vessels in the Royal Dock decorated to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

postcard

Grimsby, Royal Dock, Diamond Jubilee
Grimsby, Royal Dock, construction in 1850
Grimsby, Royal Dock, construction in 1850
Grimsby, Royal Dock, construction in 1850
A monochrome reproduction of J W Carmichael's painting of the construction of the Royal Dock in 1850. (The original is at the Institute of Civil Engineers.)
Grimsby, Royal Dock construction, J W Carmichael
Grimsby, Royal Hotel
Grimsby, Royal Hotel
Grimsby, Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel on Cleethorpe Road.

LNER postcard, c.1905

Grimsby, Royal Hotel
Grimsby, Salvation Army Citadel
Grimsby, Salvation Army Citadel
Grimsby, Salvation Army Citadel

The Salvation Army Citadel is on Duncombe Street.

June 2017

Grimsby, Salvation Army citadel
Grimsby, Scottish Kipper Gang
Grimsby, Scottish Kipper Gang
Grimsby, Scottish Kipper Gang

Smoked herring - kippers - were a major product of Grimsby.

Census records reveal how far from Grimsby some workers originated; many were from Scotland.

Grimsby, Scottish kipper gang
Grimsby, Sixhills Street School
Grimsby, Sixhills Street School
Grimsby, Sixhills Street School

Former primary school, now the Grimsby Central Children’s Centre.

June 2017

Grimsby, Sixhills Street School
Grimsby, Smethurst Memorial
Grimsby, Smethurst Memorial
Grimsby, Smethurst Memorial

Henry Smethurst owned the largest fleet of fishing smacks in Grimsby in the late nineteenth century; he was twice Mayor of the town and a leading Primitive Methodist.

This memorial was created by R W Ray of Grimsby and since 1892 has stood in the People's Park.

Grimsby, Henry Smethurst memorial, R W Ray
Grimsby, St Andrew
Grimsby, St Andrew
Grimsby, St Andrew

St Andrew with St Luke and All Saints church was built in 1966 (or 1968) ro replace the church on Freeman Street demolished in the early 1960s.

June 2017

Grimsby, St Andrew church
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

The grand scale of St James’, viewed here from the south, reflects the prosperity of medieval Grimsby.

The church comprises nave, chancel, transepts, N and S chapels and an imposing central tower in Perpendicular style.

The spacious interior has a 13th century nave with six-bay arcades, and an arched passageway above.   Much 19th and 20th century restoration has taken place – some following the bomb damage of WW2.

April 2011

Grimsby, St James church
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

A view of St James's Church from the south-east.

Some of the construction immediately in front of the camera and along the south elevation is 20th century restoration following bomb damage of WW2.

April 2011

Grimsby, St James church, bomb damage
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Tuck postcard from the 1950s with view from the south-east.
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

This view from the south-east should be compared to the previous images of later dates.

Valentine postcard, 1904

Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

View from the south-west.

Valentine postcard, 1951

Grimsby, St James, Valentine
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

View from the north-east. The small lady chapel in the foreground between the north transept and the chancel was built by G F Bodley in 1906.

June 2017

Grimsby, St James, G F Bodley
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states

"The parish church of St. James, built by the Augustinian monks of the neighbouring abbey of Wellow about 1200, is an, ancient cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with south aisle, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south porch, transepts end a central Perpendicular tower, with pinnacles, built in 1365, and containing 8 bells, rehung in 1836 and 1859 and again in 1885 ... "

DB 13 October 2018

Grimsby, Saint James, Church
Grimsby, St James, Churchyard, Cross Base
Grimsby, St James, Churchyard, Cross Base
Grimsby, St James, Churchyard, Cross Base

"Base of churchyard cross"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379396 

DB 13 October 2018 

Grimsby, Saint James, Churchyard, Cross Base
Grimsby, St James, Font
Grimsby, St James, Font
Grimsby, St James, Font

"C14 octagonal font with panelled sides on a C13 shafted base;

C18 font cover"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379386 

DB 13 October 2018

Grimsby, Saint James, Church, Font
Grimsby, St James, interior
Grimsby, St James, interior
Grimsby, St James, interior

A view of the interior of St Jasmes's from the south transept. The south aisle stretches ahead to the left, the nave to the right.

The unusual clerestory is clearly seen above the nave.

postcard, 1918

Grimsby, St James church, interior
Grimsby, St James, wall passage
Grimsby, St James, wall passage
Grimsby, St James, wall passage

There are wall passages along the sides of the nave and the north transept. The shafts are alternating round and triple.

June 2017

Grimsby, St James
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel

Chapel built 1920 as an extension to the south aisle.

DB 13 October 2018

Grimsby, Saint James, Church, war memorial
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel

Tablet commemorating 810 members of 10th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment.

DB 13 October 2018 

Grimsby, Saint James, Church, War memorial, Lincolnshire Regiment
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel
Grimsby, St James, War Memorial Chapel

One of two panels with gun metal backing recording the names of 1893 servicemen from Great Grimsby who died in World War 1.

Some distortion seen on the left hand side cause by a bombing raid in 1943.

Made by Sir Charles A Nicholson & Messrs. Wooldridge & Simpson and unveiled 1926.

https://grimsbyfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/st-james-grimsby-roll-of-honour/ 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34928

DB 13 October 2018 

Grimsby, Saint James, Church, War memorial
Grimsby, St Mary at Sea, Roman Catholic Church
Grimsby, St Mary at Sea, Roman Catholic Church
Grimsby, St Mary at Sea, Roman Catholic Church

This is the Roman Catholic Parish Church of Grimsby; it is situated on the corner of Heneage Road and Wellington Street.

The church was designed by Matthew Hadfield and opened in 1883

June 2017

Grimsby, St Mary at Sea R C church, Matthew Hadfield
Grimsby, Strand Street School
Grimsby, Strand Street School
Grimsby, Strand Street School

Built as junior school 1892.

June 2017

Grimsby, Strand Steet School
Grimsby, Synagogue
Grimsby, Synagogue
Grimsby, Synagogue

Many Eastern European immigrants passed through Grimsby in the late 19th century. Some, however, stayed, and the Jewish population of the town increased.

The Sir Moses Montefiore Synagogue was consecrated in 1888 and was built ‘in a Byzantine style’ on land given by Edward Heneage MP.

Frank Robinson, December 2014

Grimsby, synagogue, Sir Moses Montefiore, Edward Heneage
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon

Fish laid out prior to selling.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, c.1905

Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon

Fish laid out prior to selling.

Jay-em-Jay postcard, 1916


Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Pontoon

Fish laid out prior to selling.

postcard, c.1905


Grimsby, The Pontoon
Grimsby, The Old Queen's Head
Grimsby, The Old Queen's Head
Grimsby, The Old Queen's Head

The Queen's Head was in Victoria Street.

Illustration dated 1870

Grimsby, The Old Queen's head
Grimsby, The Ropery
Grimsby, The Ropery
Grimsby, The Ropery

The Ropery and Ropery Houses, depicted here in 1847, were at one time the meeting place of the port's Catholics.

postcard published by the Doughty Museum

Grimsby, The Ropery
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Central Library
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Central Library
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Central Library

"Grimsby Central Library was built between 1966 and 1968 and is now operated by Lincs Inspire.

The statues on the outside were made by local artist Peter Todd and called the Guardians of Knowledge"

https://librarytouristblog.com/category/statues/ 

DB 13 October 2018

Grimsby, Central Library, Peter Todd
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Corporation Grammar School For Boys
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Corporation Grammar School For Boys
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Corporation Grammar School For Boys

"Corporation Grammar school, now District Registrar's office.

1867 for Grimsby Corporation, with C20 additions and alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379889

Grimsby, Cleethorpes & District Civic Society green plaque states "Opened in 1867, this building served the town for many years as the Corporation Grammar School for boys" 

DB 13 October 2018 

Grimsby, Corporation Grammar School, District Registrar
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Waterworks Offices
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Waterworks Offices
Grimsby, Town Hall Square, Waterworks Offices

"Grimsby Waterworks offices, now accountants' offices.

1896 by Hewins and Colson, architects; Hewins and Goodhand, builders"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379887 

DB 13 October 2018 

Grimsby, Grimsby Waterworks offices, Hewins and Colson, Goodhand
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
The Town Hall built in 1780 in the Old Market Place. Illustration dated 1820.
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall

Grimsby's present Town Hall was built in 1863 at a cost of £11,000. The architects were Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln.

Valentine postcard, 1904

Grimsby, Town Hall, Bellamy and Hardy, Valentine
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall

View of the Town Hall from the west. It is constructed in white brick and stone in an Italianate style.

postcard printed in Germany, 1908

Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall
Grimsby, Town Hall

"Town hall and former courthouse and police station.

1861-3 by Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln with John Giles of London, and James Fowler of Louth as superintending architect, for Great Grimsby Corporation.

Alterations and additions of 1887 by EW Farebrother and John Buchan of Grimsby, architects, and Walter Binns, builder, including new council chamber, banqueting room, entrance hall and main staircase.

Later C20 additions and alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379888 

DB 11 August 2017

Grimsby, Town Hall, courthouse, police station, Bellamy and Hardy, John Giles, James Fowler
Grimsby, Town Hall, Council Chamber
Grimsby, Town Hall, Council Chamber
Grimsby, Town Hall, Council Chamber

"Council Chamber, first-floor rear right, has elaborate wood panelling with Ionic pilasters and pedimented overdoors; Ionic wall arcade with ornate plasterwork frieze and cornice, and coved ceiling with panels and pendants; richly carved furnishings, windows in architraves with stained glass coats of arms of 1957.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379888 

DB 11 August 2017

Grimsby, Town Hall, Council Chamber
Grimsby, Town Hall, Main Assemby Room
Grimsby, Town Hall, Main Assemby Room
Grimsby, Town Hall, Main Assemby Room

"Main assembly room, first-floor front, has wall arcade of Composite pilasters, coved and panelled plasterwork ceiling with pendants and roses, gallery with cast-iron balustrade.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379888 

DB 11 August 2017

Grimsby, Town Hall, Assembly Room
Grimsby, Tram
Grimsby, Tram
Grimsby, Tram
One of Grimsby's more modern trams. This vehicle was acquired from Sunderland Corporation in 1933.
Grimsby, tram, Sunderland
Grimsby, tram
Grimsby, tram
Grimsby, tram
In the late 1930s trams were gradually replaced by trolley buses.
Grimsby, tram
Grimsby, Trams, opening day 1901
Grimsby, Trams, opening day 1901
Grimsby, Trams, opening day 1901
On 7 December 1901 horse trams operating in Grimsby and Cleethorpes were replaced by an extended electrified system.
Grimsby, tram opening day 1902
Grimsby, Victoria Street
Grimsby, Victoria Street
Grimsby, Victoria Street

Victoria Street is one of the principal streets in the town.

undated postcard

Grimsby, Victoria Street
Grimsby, wagon
Grimsby, wagon
Grimsby, wagon

Based on the evidence of the postmark, this postcard shows a group from the Grimsby area. It is undated and the message on the card reads 'Taken yesterday by George. I hope I don't get too fat.'

The flat-bed wagon was a general purpose vehicle, probably used by a tradesman.

Grimsby, wagon
Grimsby, War Memorial
Grimsby, War Memorial
Grimsby, War Memorial

Grimsby's First World War Memorial or Cenotaph stands at the junction of Bargate and Eastwood Avenue.

It cost £2500 and was unveiled on 18 December 1921.

Valentine Photo Brown Series postcard

Grimsby, war memorial
Grimsby, Welholme Galleries
Grimsby, Welholme Galleries
Grimsby, Welholme Galleries

Built in 1907 by architects Bell, Withers and Meredith as a Congregational Church, it later became the Welholme Galleries.

Since 2004 it has been in use as a store by Grimsby Borough Council.

June 2017


Grimsby, Welholme Galleries, Congregational, Bell, Withers Meredith
Grimsby, Welholme Galleries
Grimsby, Welholme Galleries
Grimsby, Welholme Galleries

A second view of the former Congregational Church on Welholme Road.

June 2017

Grimsby,
Grimsby, Welholme Primary School
Grimsby, Welholme Primary School
Grimsby, Welholme Primary School

Infants were first admitted here in 1892

June 2017

Grimsby, Welholme primary school