Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-
"HAVERHOLME PRIORY, the seat of the Earl of Winchilsea and Nottingham, is an ancient mansion, but has been much modernized, and is now a handsome structure of stone in the Tudor style, surrounded by an extensive and well-wooden park, stocked with deer, and comprising 350 acres of land, partly in the parish of Ewerby:
it, was formerly extra-parochial, but is now a parish, 4 miles north-east-by-east from Sleaford and 2 south-east from Ruskington station on the Spalding and Doncaster extension of the Great Northern and Great Eastern joint railway; the estate forming an island, being surrounded by two arms of the Sleaford river ...
Here was formerly a convent founded in 1139 by Alexander, 3rd Bishop of Lincoln and Lord Chancellor, with 50 monks and 100 nuns, of the order of St. Gilbert of Sempringham:
Thomas-a-Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1164 took refuge for some time in the hermitage belonging to the Priory, after which be returned to his own manor of Eastry, in Kent.
At the Dissolution the revenue of the monastery was estimated at £70.
There are sufficient remains to interest an antiquary"
DB 21 May 2020
Haverholme Priory, Gilbertine, Finch Hatton, Earl Winchelsea and Nottingham, Thomas-a-Becket