Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Kirton in Lindsey
 
Kirton in Lindsey,
Kirton in Lindsey, "Comrades in Misfortune"
Kirton in Lindsey, "Comrades in Misfortune"

This postcard of ‘Comrades in Misfortune’ was posted in 1904.

The message on the back refers to these Kirton in Lindsey men seen ‘here every day: one eye, one arm, one leg’.

Kirton Lindsey, comrades in misfortune
Kirton in Lindsey, Maltings
Kirton in Lindsey, Maltings
Kirton in Lindsey, Maltings

These substantial maltings were built alongside the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Line which were close to Kirton in Lindsey station (SK 932993).

Kirton Lindsey, maltings,
Kirton in Lindsey, Market Place
Kirton in Lindsey, Market Place
Kirton in Lindsey, Market Place

This view looks eastwards from the Market Place with the town hall dominating the scene.

drawing by Tom Brooker, 1970

Kirton Lindsey,
Kirton in Lindsey, Mount Pleasant Mill
Kirton in Lindsey, Mount Pleasant Mill
Kirton in Lindsey, Mount Pleasant Mill

This fine restored mill has a date stone of 1876.

It was operated by wind until 1936 and then powered by an oil engine until 1973.

Restoration was completed in 1991.

Location of mill: SK 939 994

Peter Kirk Collection, 2000


Kirton Lindsey, Mount Pleasant Mill, Peter Kirk
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Grammar School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Grammar School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Grammar School

A grammar school was founded in the town in 1517

June 2013

Kirton Lindsey, old Grammar School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Infant School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Infant School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Infant School

This school near the church was built for 156 infants in 1895-96.

June 2013

Kirton Lindsey, infant school
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Infant School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Infant School
Kirton in Lindsey, Old Infant School

Datestone on the old Infants school building.

June 2013

Kirton Lindsey,
Kirton in Lindsey, Railway Tunnel Entrance
Kirton in Lindsey, Railway Tunnel Entrance
Kirton in Lindsey, Railway Tunnel Entrance

"Railway tunnel entrance.

1849 for Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.

Engineer, Sir John Hawkshaw"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083019 

DB 27 March 2019

Kirton Lindsey, Railway Tunnel Entrance
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew

The massive west tower of St Andrew's dates from the thirteenth century.

Much of the church is Early English, including the late 12th century north arcade. 

The church was much restored in the 19th century.

June 2013

Kirton Lindsey, St Andrew church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew

The nave of St Andrew's was restored by J H Hakewill in 1860.

The chancel, of the Early English period, was restored by Ewan Christian.

postcard published by Smith of Kirton in LIndsey, undated

Kirton Lindsey, St Andrew, J H Hakewill, Ewan Christian
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure of large dimensions, in the Norman, Transitional and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, baptistery (formerly south porch), and a large western tower, of Early English date, with Perpendicular parapet and pinnacles at the angles, containing a clock and 6 bells ...

the church was restored about 1860, under the direction of Mr. J. H. Hakewill, of London, when the tower was opened to the nave, a new chancel arch built, the roof enriched with hammer beams and carved ribs, and the interior reseated with open benches :

the restoration of the chancel, undertaken by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, was superintended by their architect, the late Mr. Ewan Christian; the lancet windows were renewed, the Norman priests' door renovated, an arcaded stone reredos erected, and the interior refitted with carved oak stalls:

on the reopening of the tower arch a double arch was discovered, which is a rare and picturesque feature :

there are 500 sittings"

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856, before some of the later Victorian alterations, states:-

"The Church (St. Andrew,) is a massive building of the early pointed architecture, consisting of a tower and nave, with middle and side aisles.

At the end of each aisle is a part formerly separated by screen work into two openings, each containing a piscina: these were probably once used as chapels.

The tower contains six bells.

The Bishop of Lincoln is patron of the vicarage, which is valued in K.B. at £6. 13s. 4d., and now at £160, in the incumbency of the Rev. D. S. Wayland, M.A., of Bassingham, for whom the Rev. Robt. Ousby officiates.

At the enclosure, 74.0 acres of land was allotted for the rectorial tithes, and it is now held on lease by Sir M. J. Cholmeley, Bt., of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

The vicarial tithes are paid by a yearly rent-charge.

The Church Land was exchanged at the enclosure for 8A. 3R. 12P., now let for £30 per annum, besides which there is a yearly rent-charge of £1. 5s. for the reparation of the church"

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel

The chancel was rebuilt in 1860. 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"the restoration of the chancel, undertaken by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, was superintended by their architect, the late Mr. Ewan Christian; the lancet windows were renewed, the Norman priests' door renovated, an arcaded stone reredos erected, and the interior refitted with carved oak stalls"

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel

More detailed view of the sanctuary.

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel Arch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel Arch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel Arch

The Early English chancel arch. The chancel itself was restored by Ewan Christian.

postcard from the Wrench Series, printed in Saxony, 1905

Kirton Lindsey, St Andrew, interior, Ewan Christan, Wrench Series
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel, priest's doorway
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel, priest's doorway
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Chancel, priest's doorway

The priest's doorway on the south side of the chancel is from the Norman period.

The arch has typical zig-zag decoration and the tympanum over the doorway has close-beaded interlace decoration.

June 2013

Kirton Lindsey, St Andrew church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Nave
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Nave
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

The Victorian pine pews of 1860 were replaced in 2007/8. 

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, nave
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Nave
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Nave
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch.

"Massive tower arch re-opened 1861: twin openings with original central cylindrical pier and responds with water-holding bases and moulded capitals supporting tall C19 double chamfered arches under single pointed arch with a trefoiled circle in the spandrel."

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083025 

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, nave
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, North Aisle, Organ
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, North Aisle, Organ
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, North Aisle, Organ

Maker's plate states

"J.W. WALKER & SONS, LONDON 1874."

Established in 1828 by Joseph William Walker in London. Walker organs were popular additions to churches during the Gothic Revival era of church building and restoration in Victorian Britain, and instruments built by Walker are found in many churches around the UK and in other countries.

The firm continues to build organs today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._W._Walker_%26_Sons_Ltd 

Viewed from the nave. 

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, organ
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, North Porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, North Porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, North Porch

"North porch has C19 pointed outer arch flanked by buttresses and plain moulded pointed inner door"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083025 

Main entrance to the church after the south porch was blocked up in C19 to form a baptistery. 

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle

Looking east, past the font, and towards the Lady Chapel.

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Font
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Font
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Font

"Octagonal font bowl on C20 base"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083025 

Font was moved here here in 1963 from a baptistry in the south porch. 

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, Font
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Lady Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Lady Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Lady Chapel

Lady Chapel at the east end of the south aisle.

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Monument
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Monument
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, Monument

"mutilated C13 crusader effigy in south aisle"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1083025 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"in the church is the effigy of a cross-legged knight in chain mail, much dilapidated, with his feet upon a griffin"

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, War Memorial
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, War Memorial
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, War Memorial

Second World War memorial.

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, War Memorial
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, War Memorial
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, War Memorial
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Aisle, War Memorial

First World War memorial.

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church, War Memorial
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Porch

Entrance to the south porch from the south aisle.

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Porch
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, South Porch

The south porch was once the main entrance into the church.

It was rebuilt as a baptistry in C19.

Font was re-erected in the south aisle 1963 and the porch is now used as a chapel for private prayer. 

DB 14 May 2019

Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Church
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Tower, west doorway
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Tower, west doorway
Kirton in Lindsey, St Andrew, Tower, west doorway

The doorway in the west tower at St Andrew's dates from the thirteenth century, the Early English period.

June 2013

Kirton Lindsey, St Andrew church
Kirton in Lindsey, Town Hall
Kirton in Lindsey, Town Hall
Kirton in Lindsey, Town Hall

The Town Hall at the east end of the Market Place was built by J K Broughton, a local builder, in 1897.

It was built from the stone of the old Bridewell (prison) of 1791-94.

The public water pump in the foreground is a very modest affair.

postcard from the Wrench Series, 1906

Kirton Lindsey, Town Hall, J K Broughton, Bridewell
Kirton in Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Methodist Church in West Street opened in 1840 and was enlarged in 1875.

June 2013


Kirton Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Kirton in Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The schoolroom adjoining Kirton’s Methodist church was built in 1928, reflecting in a modest way the popular architectural style of the day.

June 2013


Kirton Lindsey, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, art deco