The white building in the right foreground was the Black Horse pub then owned by Holes of Newark. It closed some years ago. In the distance can be seen the White Hart which remains open.
Unposted postcard by F. Frith & Co. Ltd
Ludford is made up of the parishes of Ludford Parva and Ludford Magna.
It is twinned with Voué in France where a Lancaster bomber from RAF Ludford Magna crashed during the Second World War.
In February 2008 the village was the epicentre of an earthquake. Needless to say, it no longer has a post office cum garage (earthquake not to blame).
National School erected 1853, enlarged 1874.
Built by James Fowler in 1864 (in 1300 style), St Mary and St Peterís is a substantial church with transepts.
The interior and fittings are High Victorian, with much coloured brick decoration to the arches.
Saundersons of Louth built this mill in 1869 to replace a post mill. It had five storeys and four sails.
Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1910
Ludford Magna's mill worked by wind until 1932.
Because it was near to an airfield, the sails, cap and upper section of the tower were removed in the early 1940s.
Location of mill: TF 200 895
Peter Kirk Collection, 2002