Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Tattershall
 
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall

Hidden in the woodland of Tattershall Carr are many reminders of RAF Woodhall

"The woods were used as part of RAF Woodhall Spa, and housed the famous 617 (Dambusters) squadron for most of the war along with several other RAF regiments.

Many remnants from this period are clearly visible in the wood, including Air-raid shelters, sewerage ejector houses, fire ponds, tracks and transformer bases"

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/media/46879/4292-tattershall-carrs.pdf 

Similar structures also visible in the neighbouring woodland of Tattershall Thorpe Carr. "Tattershall Carrs is one of the last remaining remnants of ancient wet alder-dominated woodland that once ringed the margins of the Fens"

DB 23 August 2020

Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall

Interior of one of the air raid shelters in Tattershall Carr.

DB 23 August 2020

Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall, air raid shelter
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall

Another reminder of RAF Woodhall hidden in Tattershall Carr.

DB 23 August 2020

Tattershall Carr, RAF Woodhall
Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle

An illustration of Tattershall Castle in romantic style at about the time of its restoration by Lord Curzon of Kedleston in 1911.

The huge red brick keep, 110 ft high, was part of an extensive castle built by Ralph Lord Cromwell in c1435.

The upper parts of the building were designed for defence - contrary to most great houses of the day, but possibly reflecting Cromwell's great power and unpopularity (Pevsner).

Postcard, c1910

Tattershall, castle, Ralph Cromwell, Lord Curzon,
Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle

Aerial view of the castle.

postcard issued by Jack Braithwaite of Leeds, date uncertain

Tattershall, castle, Jack Braithwaite
Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle
A fanciful reconstruction of the castle depicted in a postcard issued by Walter Scott of Bradford.
Tattershall, castle, Walter Scott
Tattershall Castle, Curzon Latrine
Tattershall Castle, Curzon Latrine
Tattershall Castle, Curzon Latrine

Local signage states that :- 

"This small brick building used to be the original visitor toilets dating back to the castle's restoration in 1914. These were in use for over sixty years until the current visitor toilets were built.

In 2016 the latrine was in danger of falling into the moat and being lost forever, together with a section of fifteenth century wall. This was predominantly due to soft soil, a rotting tree stump and rabbits burrowing beneath.

Using hydraulic jacking equipment the latrine was lifted into a horizontal position and concrete piles were inserted underneath so it wouldn't fall over again.

The hole in the ancient wall was then filled in with an honest repair. If you look from the current visitor toilets the newer bricks can be seen on the left hand side, they look decidedly different from the original bricks used.

To finish off the restoration of the Latrine the rotten cubicle doors were replaced with new copies made in oak". 

DB 21 October 2021

Tattershall Castle, Curzon Latrine
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower

"Tattershall Castle has its origins in either a stone castle or a fortified manor house, built by Robert de Tattershall in 1231.

This was largely rebuilt in brick, and greatly expanded, by Ralph, 3rd Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of England, between 1430 and 1450"

"Of Lord Cromwell's castle, the 130 foot (40 metre) high Great Tower and moat still remain.

It is thought that the castle's three state rooms were once splendidly fitted out and the chambers were heated by immense Gothic fireplaces with decorated chimney pieces and tapestries"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattershall_Castle,_Lincolnshire  

Viewed from the northeast. 

DB 28 August 2019

Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower

Great Tower viewed from the west.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"A little to the S.W. of the town, stand the remains of TATTERSHALL CASTLE, which was erected about the year 1440, by the Lord Treasurer Cromwell, whose annual expenditure is stated to have been £5000, his household comprising 100 persons; and when be rode to London, he had in his suite generally 120 horsemen.

He is said to have expended 4000 marks in building the towers of this castle, which was surrounded by two fosses, and a great part of the inner one, faced with brick, still remains.

It was an extensive and formidable fortress, but was dilapidated in the wars between Charles I. and his parliament.

The part now remaining is one of the finest and most perfect specimens of ancient brickwork in the kingdom, being a rectangular tower, 100 feet high, divided into four stories, and flanked by four octagonal turrets.

It is raised on ponderous arches, forming spacious vaults, which extend through the angles of the building, into the bases of the turrets.

The walls are of great thickness; and the windows are of the pointed order, well proportioned, and containing tracery.

In the south-east turret is a staircase of 181 steps, ascending to the top of the fourth story, which was covered by a grand platform, or flat roof, which together with the several floors, is entirely destroyed, though the massive battlements, with the strong arched parapets, are in good preservation.

Three of the turrets are terminated by cones, covered with lead, but the cone of the fourth turret is gone.

On the ground floor is an elegant carved stone chimney piece, embattled and ornamented alternately with arms and treasury purses, with the motto, "nay je droit.""

DB 28 August 2019

Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower

Great Tower viewed edge on from the south.

"Castle, now monument owned by National Trust. c.1440 built for Ralph Cromwell, Lord High Treasurer, on site of castle built by Robert Tateshale in 1231.

Restored in 1911-25 by Lord Curzon.

Red brick tower in English bond, with darker lattice lozenge decorations to upper parts, ashlar dressings, leaded roofs" 

DB 25 June 2018

Tattershall Castle, Great Tower
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (-1), Basement
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (-1), Basement
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (-1), Basement

Local signage states :-

"The basement is a low vaulted cellar with a well in the center of the room (Now blocked up, capped with square tiles) and contains four lockable side rooms.

The room in the east wall contains two aumbries (wall cupboards) for extra storage.

Due to its location, close to the original stone Great Hall outside, it is most likely that this was the buttery cellar for storing ale and wine. 

The walls here are the thickest in the castle, at 4.25 metres.

This room is said to have been a prison during the Civil War" 

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall Castle, Basement
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (-1), Basement
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (-1), Basement
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (-1), Basement

The walls here are the thickest in the castle, at 4.25 metres.

Modern spider decoration for Halloween. 

DB 21 October 2021

Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (0), Ground Floor Parlour
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (0), Ground Floor Parlour
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (0), Ground Floor Parlour

Local signage states :-

"The Parlour is a separate room not linked to the private chambers of the rest of the Keep, marking it as a public space.

The High Steward would run the estate from inside this room" 

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall Castle, Parlour
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (0), Ground Floor Parlour, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (0), Ground Floor Parlour, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (0), Ground Floor Parlour, Fireplace

"Ground floor parlour has fine chimney piece of Ancaster stone bearing shields of Lord Cromwell and his ancestors"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215317 

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Castle, Fireplace, chimney piece
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (1), First Floor Great Hall
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (1), First Floor Great Hall
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (1), First Floor Great Hall

Local signage states :-

"The Great Hall would have been Lord Cromwell's private dining room for immediate family, honoured guests and the higher status servants.

The high table, where Lord and Lady Cromwell would have sat, is on the blank north wall. There are four stone corbels sunk into the wall that would have held a canopy marking the high table"  

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall Castle, Great Hall
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (1), First Floor Great Hall, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (1), First Floor Great Hall, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (1), First Floor Great Hall, Fireplace

"The chimney piece is elaborately carved with grotesque heads on the capitals at either end.

In the spandrels are representative carvings, and the panel across the lintel has armorial shields, brattished top with frieze of fleurons"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215317 

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall Castle, Great Hall, Fireplace, chimney piece
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor Audience Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor Audience Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor Audience Chamber

Local signage states :-

"The second floor was designed specifically for ceremony and grandeur and differs entirely from the rest of the Keep.

It contains the only corridor in the Keep in order to make the visitor take the longest path to greet Lord Cromwell"

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Castle, Audience Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor Audience Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor Audience Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor Audience Chamber

Tapestry 16th-century Brussels. "Eliezer presenting Rebekah to Abraham", a biblical scene from Genesis.  

Purchased by Lord Curzon from Bernheimer in Munich and brought to the castle when he opened it to the public in 1914.

DB 21 October 2021

Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, Audience Chamber, Tapestry
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor, Dovecote
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor, Dovecote
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor, Dovecote

Local signage in the Audience Chamber states :-

"The south east turret contains an eighteenth century dovecote built by farmers during the castles ruination inside what was the entrance room to Lord Cromwell's private garderobe.

The wood and clay dovecote contains 250 nest boxes"

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Castle, dovecote
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor, Tracery
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor, Tracery
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (2), Second Floor, Tracery

The hall on the second floor of Tattershall Castle has a fine chimney-piece on the west wall. (This is one of the pieces famously rescued at the eleventh hour from export to USA by Lord Curzon).

Heraldic shields are carved in a band above the opening and this representation of a purse appears in the panel tracery, reflecting Ralph Cromwell's office.

Ralph Cromwell was the Treasurer of England in 1433 at the time of the castle's construction.


Ken Redmore, 2010

Tattershall, castle, Thomas Cromwell, purse, treasurer,
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (3), Third Floor Private Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (3), Third Floor Private Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (3), Third Floor Private Chamber

Local signage states :-

"The third floor was reserved for Lord Cromwell's own private use.

See the arch of the fireplace decorated with the Gromwell weed. This was used by Cromwell as a decorative pun or 'rebus' on his own name.

This chamber would also have been used as a withdrawing room or bower by the ladies of the castle"

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Castle, Private Chamber
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (3), Third Floor Private Chamber, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (3), Third Floor Private Chamber, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower (3), Third Floor Private Chamber, Fireplace

Another fine chimney piece.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215317 

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Castle, Private Chamber, Fireplace
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, Roof
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, Roof
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, Roof

The defensive structure above the 3 principal floors of Tattershall Castle consists of two low storeys, the lower of which is mainly open to the sky.

The arrangement and design of arcaded galleries along the four sides are quite common in castles of the period in France but are relatively rarely found in England. 

Ken Redmore, 2010

Tattershall, Castle, roof, galleries, arcades,
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, View from Roof
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, View from Roof
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, View from Roof

The much admired view from the parapet walk of Tattershall Castle, looking east.

To the left in the middle distance is the guard house situated at the NE corner of the Outer Bailey.

To the right is the fine Perpendicular church of Holy Trinity.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Tattershall, Castle, guard house, church,
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, View from Roof
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, View from Roof
Tattershall Castle, Great Tower, View from Roof

Three towers of Lincoln Cathedral visible 16.9 miles (27.2 km) to the northwest.

Also possible to see Boston Stump (St Botolph's Church) 11 miles (17.75 km) in the opposite direction.

DB 30 August 2018 

Tattershall Castle, Lincoln Cathedral, view
Tattershall Castle, Guard House
Tattershall Castle, Guard House
Tattershall Castle, Guard House

"Former guard house, now ticket office and shop. c.1440, altered c.1911. Red brick in English bond, with ashlar dressings"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1287738 

DB 21 October 2021

Tattershall Castle Guard House
Tattershall Castle, Moat
Tattershall Castle, Moat
Tattershall Castle, Moat

Tattershall Castle had two moats. The Bridge shown here gave access to the Inner Bailey.

The guard house at the NE corner of the Outer Bailey also survives and today houses the National Trust entrance and shop, also a small museum.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Tattershall, Castle, moat, guard house, National Trust,
Tattershall Castle, Stable Block
Tattershall Castle, Stable Block
Tattershall Castle, Stable Block

"Reputedly stable block, now ruins. c.1440"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215319 

Local signage states :-

"This two storey building would have been home to the Master of the Horse and other minor officers.

Accommodation would have been on the first floor and the horses kept on the ground floor where a gully runs down the centre for drainage"

DB 28 August 2019

Tattershall Castle, Stable Block
Tattershall, Black Horse, High Street
Tattershall, Black Horse, High Street
Tattershall, Black Horse, High Street

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 lists 6 Inns and Taverns in Tattershall:-

"Black Bull, John Hy. Raithby, and maltster

Black Horse, John Short

Bridge Inn, Robert Hotchkin

Crown, James Kirk

Fortescue Arms,(posting) My.Rhodes

Railway Hotel, George Gollings"

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Black Horse, Public House
Tattershall, Bridge over the River Witham
Tattershall, Bridge over the River Witham
Tattershall, Bridge over the River Witham

John Rennie built this fine red brick bridge at Tattershall over the Witham in 1815 to replace an earlier bridge of c1795 which had collapsed when the river was being dredged.

Stone copings and iron railings were provided in 1920 but removed in 1977.

A new road bridge was built alongside in 1991/92.

Ken Redmore, 2003

Tattershall, Tattershall Bridge, Witham, John Rennie,
Tattershall, Castle Almshouses
Tattershall, Castle Almshouses
Tattershall, Castle Almshouses

"Originally 10, now 5 almshouses. C15 founded by Ralph Cromwell, remodelled C17, altered C19 and C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1287752 

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, Castle Almshouses, Ralph Cromwell
Tattershall, Castle Cottages
Tattershall, Castle Cottages
Tattershall, Castle Cottages

"Farmhouse, now 2 cottages. Late C18 with C19 alteration"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1216140 

Viewed from the rear, from the grounds of Tattershall Castle.

DB 28 August 2019 

Tattershall, Castle Cottages, Farmhouse
Tattershall, Fortescue Arms
Tattershall, Fortescue Arms
Tattershall, Fortescue Arms

"Hotel and coach house. C15, early C18, with early C19 and C20 alterations"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215315

Listed in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 :-

"Fortescue Arms,(posting) My.Rhodes"

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, Fortescue Arms, Hotel, Coach House
Tattershall, Fortescue Arms
Tattershall, Fortescue Arms
Tattershall, Fortescue Arms

Deatail of the sign board.

Earl Fortescue was lord of the manor and built the local Public Elementary School in 1864. His principal seats were Castle Hill, Devonshire, and Ebrington, Gloucestershire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Fortescue  

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Fortescue Arms, Hotel, Coach House
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity

The original 15th century stained glass of Holy Trinity has all gone (to St Martin's, Stamford), apart from that now in the east window.

September 2010

Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity

Founded by Ralph Lord Cromwell in the 15th century, Holy Trinity is an outstanding example of Perpendicular architecture.

The tall, long cruciform building is lit by the many huge windows Ė those at the ends of the transepts being particularly impressive.

September 2010

Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Ralph Lord Cromwell, Perpendicular
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity

View of Holy Trinity from the south.

September 2010

Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity viewed from the top of Tattershall Castle.

The entry in Kelly's Directory 1930 reads "The church of the Holy Trinity, formerly collegiate, is a beautiful cruciform structure of Ancaster stone, in the Perpendicular style, erected in connection with the college founded here 17 Henry VI. (1438-9) by Sir Ralph de Cromwell :

its patronal names are the Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin, SS. Peter, John the Evangelist and John the Baptist :

the church was unfinished at Cromwell's death in 1455, but was completed by William of Waynflete, bishop of Winchester and founder of Magdalen College, Oxford, whose arms appear over the north porch :

it consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north porch, lofty transepts and a massive western tower with four pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells:

the greater part of the ancient stained glass, representing sacred objects, figures of saints, besides many shields of arms, was removed in 1754 ; some portions of it may be seen in the church of St. Martin, Stamford, and some pieces which were left in the clerestory window of Tattershall, because ladders at the time of the general removal would not reach them, are now collected and arranged in the lower half of the east window of the church :

the chancel retains three sedilia, a piscina and an aumbry, and there are also, piscina in both transepts, and in the north porch a holy water stoup ;

the stone screen or pulpitum was the gift of Robert de Whalley, a member of the college, in 1523, who was buried beneath its archway; it has a central passage; at the north end is a staircase leading to the loft above, and at the south a door leading to a small room, now used as a sacristy, lighted by three quatre-foils opening to the nave :

on either side of the western entrance is a recess, once having an altar, the pillar piscina remaining: above the entrance on the east side is a three-sided projection, within which are two stone book rests :

of the canopied choir stalls in the north transept museum there are still some slight remains:

the chancel pulpit is of plain deal wood : the nave pulpit is contemporary with the church, with fine carved work :

tacked on there is a brass on a step in the choir to Hugh de Goudeby (Gautby), supervisor to Ralph de Cromwell, ob. 1411, and in the north transept is a very fine but mutilated brass with effigies and canopy to Ralph, 3rd baron Cromwell, lord treasurer to Henry VI. founder of the College and Castle, ob. 1455 ; the brass of Margaret (Dayncourt) his wife, ob. 1454, has disappeared the canopy had figures of SS. Cornelius, George, Maurice and Peter :

in the north transept is a slab of Purbeck marble, with brass effigy and inscription to Matilda or Maude (Stanhope), wife of Robert, 6th baron Willoughby de Eresby, and niece of the above Ralph, Lord Cromwell, and a benefactress to the College, ob. 1497:

there also is a canopied brass, highly enriched with figures of saints, effigy and inscription to Joan (Stanhope), wife of Sir Humphrey Bourchier, 4th baron Cromwell, ob. 1479 ; there are also three brasses of ecclesiastics, the finest being that of the Provost Warde, or possibly John Gigur, warden of the College, with large effigy in cope and other vestments, c. 1510 ; next is a brass, with vested effigy and a rhyming Latin inscription of eight couplets, to William Moor S.T.P. second provost, canon of York, and rector of Leadenham, ob. 1456 ; the third is a similar effigy, with inscription, to William Symson, chaplain to Edward Hevyn, ob. 1519:

there are 520 sittings" 

DB 25 April 2015

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity
Tattershall, Holy Trinity

"Collegiate and parish church. 1440-1500, by Ralph Cromwell. Licensed in 1439 by King Henry VI to convert a Norman Parish church into a Collegiate Church, for 7 priests, 6 secular clerks, 6 choristers and 13 poor old people in the almshouses. Completed by William of Waynflete. College demolished 1545. Most glass removed to Stamford in 1754. Restored 1893-97"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 18 April 2018

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
The east window still retains original - though reassembled - stained glass of 1481-82.
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, east windwo, stained glass
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel

Looking west towards the chancel arch which has been sealed off by a polythene sheet above the pulpitum.

The church booklet states "Our services are mostly held in the Chancel, this being the only part that is heated and is sealed both to preserve heat and keep out the bats, which have colonies in the roof the North Porch and parts of the Nave".

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel

Looking east towards the high altar.

A south door formerly leading to the cloisters of the colligate church has now been bricked up. There was also a squint enabling the high altar to be seen from the cloisters. 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel

South chancel wall with ledges at the base for a former cloister roof.

An original Norman Parish church was converted into a Collegiate Church, for 7 priests, 6 secular clerks and 6 choristers.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image chancel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Altar

In addition to the High Altar at the east end of the Chancel there are six other altars. Needed when the building was a Collegiate Church with a Warden and six priests.

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window

Stained glass in the east window. Local signage states that :-

"Fragments of the exquisite medieval stained-glass are to be seen in the great east window. The rest was taken out in 1754 by the Earl of Exeter and installed at Stamford. The church then remained open to the elements for more than 50 years". 

Kelly's Directory 1913 records "the greater part of the ancient stained glass, representing sacred subjects, figures of saints, besides many shields of arms borne by the Cromwells, was removed in 1754 to the church of St. Martin, Stamford Baron; the remainder, collected together, is now in the east window"

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image window stained glass
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail

Some of the wonderful C15 stained glass.

In these four panels the complete scene top right scene depicts the sacrament of baptism. A priest is holding a baby above the font. Information locally states that "This panel ... originated in the Seven Sacraments window made by Thomas Wodeshawe and Richard Twygge in 1482".

Now in bottom right corner of the East Window. 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image window stained glass
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail

Some of the wonderful C15 stained glass.

Top left a blue clad bishop is pictured confirming a man kneeling on a tiled floor. Information locally states "This panel originated in Thomas Wodeshawe and Richard Twygge's Seven Sacraments window of 1482, which was formerly in the nave south aisle". 

Now in bottom left corner of the East Window. 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image window stained glass Thomas Wodeshawe Richard Twygge
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail

Some of the wonderful C15 stained glass.

Complete scene top left depicts clothing the naked. A white robe is being put over the head of a kneeling man. Information locally states that "this panel ... originated in the Seven Works of Mercy window glazed by Thomas Wodeshawe and Richard Twygge".

Now left side of the East Window. 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image window stained glass Thomas Wodeshawe Richard Twygge
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail

Some of the wonderful C15 stained glass.

Complete scene top right depicts feeding the hungry. Information locally states that "it originated in the Seven Works of Mercy window glazed by Thomas Wodeshawe and Richard Twygge".

Now right side of the East Window. 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image window stained glass Thomas Wodeshawe Richard Twygge
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, East Window Detail
Some of the wonderful C15 stained glass.
 
Complete scene top right "depicting St Helena presenting part of the Holy Cross and the nails to her son, the Emperor Constantine ...  This is the only surviving scene from the Holy Cross window glazed by Robert Power in 1482 although fragments from it survive in other panels".
 
Beneath a "complete rectangular panel depicting an achievement of arms ... The armorial was probably attributed to St. Catherine of Alexandria, as it originated in the window in the nave north aisle which depicted scenes from her legend donated in 1481 by Thomas and Beatrix Howard"

DB 28 October 2021
Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image window stained glass Robert Power
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Missing Memorial Brass
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Missing Memorial Brass
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Missing Memorial Brass

Outline of a missing memorial brass - preserved in a stone near the chancel pulpit.

Six memorial brass still remain however the church booklet states "There were originally 22 in the church but the rest were stolen/sold or just vandalised".

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image brass
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Pulpit
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Pulpit
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Pulpit

"Many reused pieces of C15 woodwork in prayer desks and sides of chancel pulpit"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image pulpit
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Roof
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Roof
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Roof

Chancel roof oriented with the east end on the right hand side in this image.

"Chancel roof has arched ties resting on octagonal corbels of angel supporters carrying shields. The roof has brattished wall plates and principals, and pierced panel traceried spandrels"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image roof
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Sedilia
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Sedilia
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Chancel, Sedilia

"In the south wall is a triple sedilia with piscina beyond having 4 centred arched heads with ogee crocketed canopies, pinnacles and a frieze decorated with fabulous beasts and a trefoil brattished top"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image sedilia
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Churchyard
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Churchyard
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Churchyard

View across the churchyard towards Tattershall Castle.

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Churchyard Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Churchyard, Bankes Memorial
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Churchyard, Bankes Memorial
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Churchyard, Bankes Memorial

Perhaps the most prominent memorial in the churchyard. Appears to be that of Langley Langton Bankes and his wives. Listed in White's Directory 1856 "Bankes Langley Langton, solicitor".

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image Bankes Memorial
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave

Looking east towards the pulpitum and organ.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Font

"The font is octagonal with swept base having traceried panel sides. The bowl is chamfered below and plain"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image font
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Graffiti
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Graffiti
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Graffiti

Graffiti on the the nave arcade. Some of it, if the dates are to be believed, from 1658.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image graffiti
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Organ
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Organ
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Organ

Organ on top of the pulpitum. 

The church booklet states that "Canon James Day, Rector until June 1980, obtained the organ from St. Paulís Church, Grimsby, when it became redundant".

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image organ
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpit
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpit
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpit

"The octagonal nave pulpit with decorative panel sides appears to be original"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image pulpit
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpitum
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpitum
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Pulpitum

"Before the chancel arch is a C16 stone pulpitum"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

Kelly's Directory 1930 reads

"The stone screen or pulpitum was the gift of Robert de Whalley, a member of the college, in 1523, who was buried beneath its archway; it has a central passage; at the north end is a staircase leading to the loft above, and at the south a door leading to a small room, now used as a sacristy, lighted by three quatre-foils opening to the nave"

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image pulpitum
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Roof
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Roof
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Roof

"Between the arches round wall shafts ascend to octagonal corbels, supporting the tie beams of the contemporary roof which has angel supporters and brattished principals"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Tom Thumb Grave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Tom Thumb Grave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Nave, Tom Thumb Grave

Tom Thumb, a character from English folklore, has a tiny house in Tattershall Market Place (on the roof ridge).

This is his supposed grave, bearing the inscription: "T Thumb / aged 101 / Died 1620"

September 2010

Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tom Thumb, grave
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle

Looking east towards the British Legion Altar & Standards.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle

Looking west.

Modern toilet facilities now occupy the far west end of the north aisle.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle

Fragments of C15 woodwork displayed in the north aisle.

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle Door
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle Door
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Aisle Door

This door on the north side of the nave, possibly original, is the usual modern entrance to the church.  It has a small wicket.

September 2010

Tattershall, Holy Trinity, north door, wicket
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept

"In the north transept are 6 brasses, 3 to Collegiate clergymen, 2 half sized showing the deceased robed in full vestments. William Moor, B.D., d.1456, Joan, Lady Cromwell, d.1479, depicted in rich costume and surrounded by figures of saints. Matilda, Lady Willoughby d'Evesby, d.1497, also life sized and attended by saints. A warden of the College, 1510-1520, possibly Henry Hornby, attired as a priest with cassock, surplice and fur tippet. William Symon, d.1519, priest"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320

Brasses covered to prevent damage by bat droppings. Brass rubbings displayed nearby on the walls.

DB 28 October 2021


Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept

Brass in remembrance of "Hugh, third Earl Fortescue" who was lord of the manor and a major local landowner.

"Hugh Fortescue, 3rd Earl Fortescue DL (4 April 1818 Ė 10 October 1905), known as Viscount Ebrington from 1841 to 1861, was a British peer and occasional Liberal Party politician"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Fortescue,_3rd_Earl_Fortescue 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image Hugh Fortescue 3rd Earl Fortescue
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, British Legion Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, British Legion Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, British Legion Altar

British Legion Altar & Standards directly opposite the east end of the north aisle.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image British Legion Altar & Standards
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, British Legion Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, British Legion Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, British Legion Altar

Roll of honour displayed beside the altar.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/84971 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image Roll of Honour
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, Clock
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, Clock
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, Clock

Old church clock mechanism displayed in the north transept. A new mechanism was presented in 1924.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image clock
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, Piscina
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, Piscina
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, Piscina

"In the south wall of the north transpet is a further vaulted piscina with oak leaf frieze to the cill"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image piscina
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, William Wright Ledger
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, William Wright Ledger
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, North Transept, William Wright Ledger

A ledger stone at the east end of the north aisle. 

"Here lie the Remains of William Wright late Apothecary & Surgeon of this Place who For his generous & hospitable Temper his constant Sobriety uncommon Knowledge not only in his Profession but in almost everything Useful (acquired only by ye Strength of his natural Parts & unwearied Industry) was in his Life beloved in his Death lamented universally He died in ye year of his Age 44 our Lord 1735"

DB 21 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image William Wright Ledger
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch

"Porch has 4 centred outer arch with quatrefoils to the spandrels and to the right a niche for a stoup. Above the arch is a square panel containing the arms of Bishop Waynflete, surmounted by an empty ogee headed niche with cross fleury"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch

Porch interior with stone benches on either side.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Porch

Arms of Bishop Waynflete above the entrance.

Kelly's Directory 1930 states "the church was unfinished at Cromwell's death in 1455, but was completed by William of Waynflete, bishop of Winchester and founder of Magdalen College, Oxford, whose arms appear over the north porch".

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle

Looking west.

A modern kitchen now occupies the far west end of the south aisle. 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle

Looking east towards an altar in the south transept.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Aisle

View from the south aisle across the church. Church has 4 bay north and south arcades.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept

Looking towards the south transept with an altar on the left and entrance to the Lady Chapel directly ahead.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Altar
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Altar

Altar directly opposite the east end of the south aisle.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel

Chapel now used as a place for private prayer and meditation.

Church booklet states that the south transept was used as a school between 1786 and 1830.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image, Lady Chapel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel

Looking across the Lady Chapel towards a south door. 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel, Piscina
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel, Piscina
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, South Transept, Lady Chapel, Piscina

"In the south transept chapel is a piscina with ribbed vault and frieze of roses to the cill"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image piscina
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Bells
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Bells
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Bells

Board near the great west door celebrating a peal of Bob Minor in 1951.

Originally five bells in the tower but a sixth was added in 1935 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary.

DB 28 October 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image bells peal
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Carved Figure
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Carved Figure
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Carved Figure

One of two carved figures, above and to either side of the great west door, inside the church.

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Carved Figure
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Carved Figure
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, Carved Figure

One of two carved figures, above and to either side of the great west door, inside the church.

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, West Door
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, West Door
Tattershall, Holy Trinity, Tower, West Door

"Panelled and traceried double doors in a deeply recessed double concave arched surround with shields and quatrefoil in the spandrels and an outer panelled order with lozenges. There are 2 vertical traceried panels to either side of the doorway and above a cusped frieze with shields"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215320 

DB 4 November 2021

Tattershall Holy Trinity Church Image door
Tattershall, Market Place
Tattershall, Market Place
Tattershall, Market Place

Panoramic view of Market Place.

Charter granted for a weekly market here in 1201. 

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, Market Place
Tattershall, Market Cross
Tattershall, Market Cross
Tattershall, Market Cross

C15 Market Cross. 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1287778

Labelled as "Butter Cross" on 25" Ordnance Survey map published 1889.

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, Market Cross, Butter Cross
Tattershall, Medieval whistle
Tattershall, Medieval whistle
Tattershall, Medieval whistle

This glazed ceramic whistle is in the form of a jesterís head and was discovered at Tattershall in 1980 and dates to the 16th Century.

Such representations are rare and the whistle may have formed part of a jesterís equipment.

Although not found at Tattershall Castle, the whistle may have some connection to festivities held there.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire County Council, The Collection

Tattershall, ceramic whistle, jester
Tattershall, Methodist Chapel
Tattershall, Methodist Chapel
Tattershall, Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Lodge Road, the second in the village, opened in 1849 and a Sunday school was added in 1893. It closed for worship in 1974.

February 2021

Tattershall, Weslyan, Methodist, Chapel
Tattershall, Millenium Sculpture
Tattershall, Millenium Sculpture
Tattershall, Millenium Sculpture

Located on the village green. An associated plaque states:-

"Unveiled by Councillor H.Barrak M.B.E. To Celebrate the Millennium"

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, Millenium Sculpture, Barrak
Tattershall, Old College
Tattershall, Old College
Tattershall, Old College

"Former college, later converted to a brewery and stores, now a ruin, restored C20. Founded by Ralph, Lord Cromwell, c.1440"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1287800 

Probably used as a school for choristers at the collegiate church.

"The oldest grammar school building in Lincolnshire" 

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall,The Old College, Ralph, Lord Cromwell, choristers
Tattershall, Old School
Tattershall, Old School
Tattershall, Old School

"Former school and schoolmaster's house. 1860-62, with minor C20 alterations. Designed by William Butterfield"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1390624 

DB 5 April 2018 

Tattershall, School, William Butterfield
Tattershall, Old Vicarage
Tattershall, Old Vicarage
Tattershall, Old Vicarage

"Former vicarage, now house. Late C18" (in High Street)

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215970 

DB 1 July 2019

Tattershall, Old Vicarage
Tattershall, Railway Station & Goods Shed
Tattershall, Railway Station & Goods Shed
Tattershall, Railway Station & Goods Shed

Goods shed to the left with former railway station, just visible above the hedge, to the right.

The station was closed in 1963 and is now a gallery and pottery.

DB 22 October 2019

Tattershall, Railway Station, Engine Shed
Tattershall, Railway Tavern
Tattershall, Railway Tavern
Tattershall, Railway Tavern

Next to the former Tattershall Station but now renamed as The Tattershall Park County Pub & Kitchen.

The entry in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 reads "Barton Emma (Mrs.), Railway tavern"

DB 22 October 2019

Tattershall, Railway Tavern, Tattershall Park County Pub
Tattershall, Railway Notice
Tattershall, Railway Notice
Tattershall, Railway Notice

Like the vast majority of country railway stations, there was no pedestrian bridge between the two passenger platforms at Tattershall.

The station entrance, main station building and ticket office were all on the north (up) platform and passengers were obliged to walk across the lines to access the down platform.

Matthew Wibley 

Tattershall, station notice
Tattershall, Railway, Crossing Keepers House
Tattershall, Railway, Crossing Keepers House
Tattershall, Railway, Crossing Keepers House

Just to the north of the former railway station.

The G.N.R. Lincolnshire Loop Line crossed the road immediately to the east (on the right hand side in this image).

DB 22 October 2019

Tattershall,
Tattershall, Village Sign
Tattershall, Village Sign
Tattershall, Village Sign

Located in Market Place on the village green.

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, Village Sign
Tattershall, War Memorial
Tattershall, War Memorial
Tattershall, War Memorial

Located in Market Place on the village green.

The memorial was made by Messrs Browning and Son of Spilsby at a cost of £120 and was dedicated at a special ceremony on 2 January 1921.

DB 5 April 2018

Tattershall, War Memorial