Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Wyberton
 
Wyberton Fen, Hammer & Pincers
Wyberton Fen, Hammer & Pincers
Wyberton Fen, Hammer & Pincers

Marked as a beer house on the OS 25 inch map published 1905.

Perhaps a listing in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 "Jackson Walter, beer retailer, Fen".

Located on Swineshead Rd, Wyberton Fen next to Chain Bridge. A modern pub "The Chain Bridge" has been built close by.

National Grid Reference TF304431 

DB 21 September 2020 

Wyberton Fen, Hammer & Pincers, Beer House, Public House, image
Wyberton, Crawford's Farmhouse
Wyberton, Crawford's Farmhouse
Wyberton, Crawford's Farmhouse
At the eastern edge of the parish, quite close to the Haven, stands this late eighteenth century farmhouse in red/brown brick laid in English bond, with brick coped gables.
 
It is listed Grade II.
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360468
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, Crawford's farmhouse
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel
Built in 1877 for the Wesleyan Methodists to serve the eastern area of the parish, this chapel on Streetway closed in 1937.
 
Now serving as a garden shed and garage it once had a porch over a central door.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel

Despite the bricking up of all the windows and re-roofing in corrugated iron many of the attractive original features of the chapel are evident. Presumably light is now supplied by torch!

Jean Howard, July 2021 

Wyberton,
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel, Foundation Stone
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel, Foundation Stone
Wyberton, East End Methodist Chapel, Foundation Stone

The foundation stone bearing the date 1877 can be discovered at the front left-hand corner of the building.

Jean Howard, July 2021 

Wyberton,
Wyberton, Field's Almshouses
Wyberton, Field's Almshouses
Wyberton, Field's Almshouses
In 1624 William Field left a bequest for housing four poor widows. The cottages were rebuilt in 1871.
 
They were sold into private ownership in 1972 and have been made into a single dwelling. However the charity continues incorporated into United Charities providing modern bungalows.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021  
Wyberton, almshouses, William Field
Wyberton, Field's Almshouses, Plaque
Wyberton, Field's Almshouses, Plaque
Wyberton, Field's Almshouses, Plaque
Above a central doorway the incised stone records ‘Field’s Charity founded AD 1624, Re-built AD 1871, C Moore Rector, J Parkinson, J W Robinson, Churchwardens. C Benton, F J Whitworth, Overseers.’
 
Close inspection reveals two blocked doorways, one at each end of the façade.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021  
Wyberton, Field, almshouses
Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial (1)
Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial (1)
Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial (1)

Memorial shelter. 

Reported in Spalding Today 23 December 2018 that it was "officially opened by Lady Sarah McCorquodale, sister of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, in April.

A two-year effort to raise £45,000 for the memorial was led by Anne Bourne whose daughter and niece died after a crash in 2004"

Located in the Sir Joseph Banks Country Park & Woods. Next to Westgate Woods at National Grid Reference TF304421.

DB 21 September 2020 

Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial
Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial (2)
Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial (2)
Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial (2)

The inscription reads "Forever in our Hearts".

DB 21 September 2020 

Wyberton, Lincolnshire Road Victims Memorial
Wyberton, Old School
Wyberton, Old School
Wyberton, Old School

The old primary school at Church End was built as a National School in 1862. It closed in 1961.

September 2011

 

Wyberton, old school, Churdh End primary School
Wyberton, Pincushion Inn
Wyberton, Pincushion Inn
Wyberton, Pincushion Inn

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 :-

"Thompson William, Pincushion inn, Spalding road"

and in 1885 

"Brown Louisa (Mrs.), Pincushion inn" 

DB 21 September 2020

Wyberton, Pincushion Inn, public house, image
Wyberton, Sir Joseph Banks Country Park, Seeds of Time Sculpture
Wyberton, Sir Joseph Banks Country Park, Seeds of Time Sculpture
Wyberton, Sir Joseph Banks Country Park, Seeds of Time Sculpture

Local signage states :-

"James Sutton was commissioned by the Boston Woods Trust and Transported to create a sculpture to commemorate Sir Joseph Banks.

These sculptures are his interpretation of botanical drawings of Hakea seeds which were discovered during an expedition to Australia.

Sir Joseph Banks (1743-1820) was a famous botanist explorer and patron of the sciences with links to this area. He spent his young childhood enjoying the freedom of Revesby Abbey estate, which he inherited aged 21. He developed a lifelong wonder of nature and went on a number of expeditions, the most famous being with Captain Cook on HMS Endeavour. 

He was granted the Freedom of the Borough of Boston in 1771 and became Recorder of Boston in 1808. 

His many achievements included Scientific advisor to Kew Gardens, President of the Royal Society, presiding at the foundation of the Royal Horticultural Society and he was a prime mover in drainage of the Fens"

DB 21 September 2020

Wyberton, Sir Joseph Banks Country Park, Seeds of Time Sculpture, James Sutton
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar

St Leodegar's is largely Perpendicular in style.

In medieval times, this grand church had a central tower, until its collapse in the 15th century.

September 2011

Wyberton, St Leodegar church
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar

Externally, Wyberton church is Perpendicular in style apart from the brick Georgian apsidal chancel.

Inside the clerestoried nave are tall five-bay arcades of the 13th and 14th centuries.  Above is a fine 15th century roof with angels and bosses.

In medieval times, this grand church had a central tower, until its collapse in the 15th century.

September 2011

Wyberton, St Leodegar church
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar

Restoration work was undertaken by G G Scott Junior in 1879-81.

Another view of the church from the south-east.

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Wyberton, St Leodegar, G G Scott
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar

View of the church from the north-east.

August 2018

Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Benefactors' Board
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Benefactors' Board
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Benefactors' Board
A detailed list of benefactions painted in 1794 provides the names of both donors and tenants of many sections of land in the parish.
 
Benefactors include Nicholas Flored (?), Steven Storks, William Paulin, Mrs Carr Anderson, William Stevens, Revd Samuel Tooly, William Fields and Revd Thomas Shaw.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, benefaction, benefactor
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Central Column
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Central Column
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Central Column
In 1760 the recognition that the pillars of the chancel were leaning led the rector Dr John Shaw to obtain permission to demolish the large chancel and replace it with the smaller brick apse.
 
At the point where it connects with the eastern face of the north aisle, this section of the massive thirteenth-century pillar that took its share of the structure of the crossing is exposed.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, John Shaw
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Central Column and Pulpit
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Central Column and Pulpit
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Central Column and Pulpit
This column of c.1425 stands on the base of the south-western central column from the earlier church.
 
The pulpit bears the date 1881 and carries a dedication to rector Revd Charles Moore who served here for 22 years but sadly died before the completion of the restoration by George Gilbert Scott.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021  
Wyberton, St Leodegar, pulpit, Revd Charles Moore
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel
The chancel arch and the two enormous pillars either side are thirteenth-century and part of the construction for a huge central tower.
 
This was itself an element in a large cruciform church with north and south transepts, a nave of the same size as that which now exists, and a long chancel.
 
The pillars lean outwards.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, chancel
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel Window
For many years the three windows of the apse were blocked, but in 1973 a bequest allowed the reinstatement of glazing in the two side windows.
 
Sections of the east window of St James’ Church in Boston were brought here at the time of its demolition.
 
These two figures depict St James and St Guthlac. The window is by George Pace, the figures by A K Nicholson.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, St James, St Guthlac, George Pace, A K Nicholson
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Chancel Window
For many years the three windows of the apse were blocked, but in 1973 a bequest allowed the reinstatement of glazing in the two side windows.
 
Sections of the east window of St James’ Church in Boston were brought here at the time of its demolition. These two figures depict St Hugh and St Botolph.
 
The window is by George Pace, the figures by A K Nicholson.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, St Hugh, St Botolph, George Pace, A K Nicholson
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Column
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Column
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Column
The third column eastwards of the north arcade sits on the base of the north-western column of the former central tower.
 
The tower collapsed in 1419.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, column
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Font
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Font
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Font
This is the 'new' font. The old font is reported to have become so friable that it leaked.
 
This fifteenth century example on a tall base was obtained from the redundant church of St Margaret in Norwich.
 
It is so high that a flight of three stone steps is built against the north side for the priest’s use.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, font, St Margaret, Norwich
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Font
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Font
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Font

This very weathered fourteenth century octagonal bowl is all that now remains of St Leodegar’s original font.

Jean Howard, July 2021

Wyberton, St Leodegar, font
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Gravestone (Adlercron)
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Gravestone (Adlercron)
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Gravestone (Adlercron)
Brigadier Adlercron was born in Co Meath, was educated at Eton and became a career soldier. He served in the Nile Expedition, the Second Boer War and throughout the WWI.
 
He was mentioned many times in despatches, received the Distinguished Service Order and bar and made a Companion of the Order of St Michael & St George.
 
Retiring in 1920 he served Lincolnshire as JP, was elected to Kesteven County Council and was made Deputy Lieutenant of Lincolnshire.
 
This splendid headstone combines an unusual shape, skilled letter cutting and the apt text ‘The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death’.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodolph_Ladeveze_Adlercron
 
Jean Howard, July 2021
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Brigadier Rodolph Adlercron
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Headstones
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Headstones
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Headstones

The original churchyard has many very decorative headstones. A new section of graveyard has been opened close by in a former walled garden. 

Jean Howard, July 2021

Wyberton, St Leodegar, gravestones
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Hood Mould Stop
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Hood Mould Stop
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Hood Mould Stop

The entrance into the church is via the west door. This is one of the angel figures that form hood mould stops to the doorway. 

Jean Howard, July 2021

Wyberton, St Leodegar, dripstone, hood mould,
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Interior View
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Interior View
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Interior View
This view down the length of the nave shows the impressive width between the columns resulting from its original cruciform construction.
 
The massive leaning eastern supports for the central tower lead into the unexpectedly compact chancel.
 
The church is Grade I listed. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147881 
 
Jean Howard, July 2021
Wyberton, St Leodegar, interior view
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Interior View
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Interior View
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Interior View
Looking back towards the western entrance, new panelling and central doors disguise the modern facilities provided within the tower ground floor.
 
The two fonts can be seen either side of the steps down to the nave floor. Close study reveals that the tower is not quite central to the nave.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, interior view
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Ledger (Frampton)
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Ledger (Frampton)
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Ledger (Frampton)
On the floor of the north aisle is this fourteenth century slab depicting Adam de Frampton who died in 1325 and his wife Sybill. It is made of black Tournai marble and, although now sadly worn, it is considered one of the best of its type in Britain.
 
The couple wear civilian dress and are depicted beneath a canopy above which are four small shields apparently bearing merchant’s marks. A dog lies at his feet.
 
Both figures have their hands raised in prayer. She wears a veil and wimple, with mantle, tight-sleeved kirtle and surcoat.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Adam de Frampton, Tournai marble,
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Nave Roof
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Nave Roof
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Nave Roof
The massive oak roof is almost unaltered since the mid fifteenth century.
 
It has moulded tie-beams on arched braces alternating with angels, though only five of those survive.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, roof
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Photo of Restoration
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Photo of Restoration
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Photo of Restoration
This interesting photograph shows the restoration under G G Scott jnr in 1879-81.
 
It looks towards the chancel showing scaffolding around the columns, a ladder against the northern arcade and two wheelbarrows in service.
 
It also shows the ‘old font’ bowl on a handsome column and considerably less eroded than now.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, G G Scott,
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Refaced Plinth
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Refaced Plinth
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Refaced Plinth

The plinth of the south side of the nave has been refaced with old gravestones. 

Jean Howard, July 2021

Wyberton, St Leodegar, plinth
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Retable
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Retable
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Retable
Painted on canvas and framed like an oil painting, this shows the words of the Lord’s Prayer, the Nicene Creed and the Ten Commandments.
 
Originally painted in the late eighteenth century, it was restored in 1974.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, retable,
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Roll of Priests
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Roll of Priests
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Roll of Priests

A framed calligraphy roll of the priests who have served the church from 1215 – 1942.

A second one has been started for more recent appointments.

Jean Howard, July 2021  

Wyberton, St Leodegar, priests
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Roof Angel
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Roof Angel
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Roof Angel

One of the surviving five roof angels, all of whom have curly hair and carry a shield.

Jean Howard, July 2021 

Wyberton,St Leodegar, roof angel
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Royal Arms
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Royal Arms
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Royal Arms
This strange and almost illegible board is hung in the style of a hatchment, but may equally be a Royal Coat of Arms.
 
It is fixed above the balustrade of the ringers’ gallery and appears to have been cut down to fit.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, coat of Arms
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Stone Frieze
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Stone Frieze
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Stone Frieze
Sections of this broken frieze are to be seen elsewhere in the church and are part of the evidence of re-used masonry following the collapse of the central tower in 1419 and the subsequent rebuilding of the church c1425-32.
 
The tablet above remembers Menburn Staniland who was killed in Belgium in July 1915 and his wife Frances who died in January 1916.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Menburn, Staniland, Frances, frieze
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Tower
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Tower
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Tower

The tower at the west end of the church dates from the fifteenth century, as does much of the building's exterior.

August 2018

Wyberton, St Leodegar
Wyberton, St Leodegar, War Memorial
Wyberton, St Leodegar, War Memorial
Wyberton, St Leodegar, War Memorial

A finely cut wall tablet remembering those of the parish who gave their lives in the Second World War.

Jean Howard, July 2021

Wyberton, St Leodegar, war memorial
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Window

Nave window, in typical Perpendicular style of the fifteenth century.

August 2018

Wyberton, St Leodegar, window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Window
Wyberton, St Leodegar, Window
The striking irregular grid of leadwork of the chancel windows is repeated in the east window of the south aisle with a simple dedication: ‘In Loving Memory of CHARLES BERT FLEET 1907-1977 given by his family’.
 
The designer is George Pace.
 
Jean Howard, July 2021 

Wyberton, St Leodegar, Charles Bert Fleet,
Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Boston Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson October 1996 (Revised August 1998) states :-

"i) The first chapel was erected in 1826.

ii) The second chapel was built in 1849 and the last service was held on the 22.10.1939. The chapel was sold in October 1944 and is now extended to make a workshop"

DB 21 September 2020

Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, church, image
Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A second view of the 1849 chapel.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 has a reference "There are two Wesleyan chapels at the Marsh and West End respectively, and about 1 mile from the church".

DB 21 September 2020 

Wyberton, West End Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, church, image
Wyberton, Windmill (1)
Wyberton, Windmill (1)
Wyberton, Windmill (1)

This early nineteenth century mill had four sails and four floors.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph c.1900

Wyberton, windmill, Jon Sass
Wyberton, Windmill (2)
Wyberton, Windmill (2)
Wyberton, Windmill (2)

The mill at Wyberton worked into the early twentieth century and was reduced to a stump in 1935.

Location of mill: TF 307 428

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Wyberton, windmill, Peter Kirk