Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Industry - Agricultural Engineering
 
Frithville, Robert H Crawford & Son, Agricultural Engineers
Frithville, Robert H Crawford & Son, Agricultural Engineers
Frithville, Robert H Crawford & Son, Agricultural Engineers

Company originated 1921 and became first Field Marshall Agents 1931.

https://www.rhcrawford.com/node/154 

Listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1937 :-

"Crawford Robert Henry, agricultural implement mfr. Sibsey 220" 

DB 1 May 2019

Frithville, Robert H Crawford & Son, Agricultural Engineers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Britannia Works

The frontage of Marshalls' Britannia Works on Beaumont Street, Gainsborough, an outstanding example of a Victorian engineering works.

Most of the site has now been developed as a retail park.

Gainsborough, Britannia,
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers

William Marshall set up his Gainsborough engineering firm in 1848.

It moved in 1856 to a site on Beaumont Street near the station.

The works eventually occupied 28 acres (12 Ha) and in the early 1900s, at the time of this photograph, the firm employed over 3500 men.

Gainsborough had a population of about 19,000 at the time and was dominated by the works.

Gainsborough, Marshall Son & Co, workers, Beaumont Street
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers
Gainsborough, Marshalls' Workers

This scene of Marshall workers leaving the factory was taken in about 1910.

At the time, a product for sale at home and abroad was the threshing machine. The steam engine - a major part of Marshalls' output - had been largely superseded by the diesel engine.

Marshalls' became an important maker of diesel-powered agricultural tractors in the twentieth century.

Gainsborough, Marshall Sons & co, workers
Horncastle, Tupholme's Foundry
Horncastle, Tupholme's Foundry
Horncastle, Tupholme's Foundry

This building on the west side of Foundry Street on the corner of Laundry Lane was built as a foundry, occupied first by Thomas Tupholme in the 1830s and later by Arthur Barrett between 1846 and 1851.

In the late 1850s it was converted into the Wesleyan Day School and from 1907 it housed the Horncastle & Woodhall Spa Steam Laundry.

Horncastle, Tupholme foundry, Arthur Barrett, Steam Laundry
Hubbert's Bridge, Chemical Manure Works
Hubbert's Bridge, Chemical Manure Works
Hubbert's Bridge, Chemical Manure Works

These buildings immediately behind the Wheatsheaf Inn marked on the OS 25 inch map published 1905 as "Chemical Manure Works".

Entry in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 " Hammond W.G. & Co. Ltd. chemical manure manufacturers, brick & tile makers & coal merchants"

DB 21 September 2020   

Frampton, Hubberts Bridge, Chemical Manure Works, image, W.G. Hammond & Co. Ltd.
Lincoln, W.Rainforth & Sons, Agricultural Implement Makers
Lincoln, W.Rainforth & Sons, Agricultural Implement Makers
Lincoln, W.Rainforth & Sons, Agricultural Implement Makers

Advert appearing in Ruddock's Directory of the City of Lincoln 1919.

Picture featuring the showroom on Monks Road

"4 Rainforth, W. & Sons, Monks-rd"

Lincoln, Rainforth & Sons
Lincoln, William Foster & Co Ltd, Tractor, 14514
Lincoln, William Foster & Co Ltd, Tractor, 14514 "His Grace"
Lincoln, William Foster & Co Ltd, Tractor, 14514 "His Grace"

Tractor, 14514 "His Grace" pictured at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life.

Built 1925. 

Geoff Swain Collection 22 March 1997

Lincoln, William Foster & Co Ltd, Tractor, 14514 "His Grace"
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers

Alfred Cooling had been a dealer in a wide range of products - glass, chine, oil lamps, paperhanging, washing machines - as well as agricultural implements.

His business was taken over by Frederick Townsend in 1896 who, in 1913, was joined later by his son. They were agricultural implement agents and dealers until the Second World War.

This photo show the firm's stand at the 1898 County Show.

 

Metheringham, Townsend
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend, Agricultural Engineers
Townsend's stand at the 1898 County Show featured chaff cutters, weighing machines, a plough and a binder.
Metheringham, Townsend,