"The Timberland and Thorpe fens cover an area of 2,850 acres (11.5 km2) and were enclosed in 1785.
An Act of Parliament obtained in 1839 authorised drainage, and the first Timberland pumping station was constructed in that year.
A 26.5-foot (8.1 m) scoop wheel was driven by a 30 hp (22 kW) beam engine, discharging water into the Witham.
A high-pressure condensing beam engine replaced it in 1881, which was coupled to a 48-inch (120 cm) centrifugal pump.
Further upgrades included a Foster tandem horizontal steam engine in 1924 and a Ruston diesel engine in 1938.
When the equipment was replaced by electric pumps in 1976, the diesel engine and Gwynnes pump were retained, and are open to the public during the summer"
"The 106 foot high chimney used for the steam-operated boiler was demolished in 1937 after being struck by lightning"
Located at National Grid Reference TF188583.
Geoff Swain Collection 24 June 1994