Postcard dated 1905.
Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states "About a mile and a half east of the village are the ruins of the Abbey of St. Mary, founded by William-le-Gros, Earl of Albemarle, on the festival of St. Hilary, January 13, A.D. 1139 and in the following year, on the day of the same festival, the founder brought hither an establishment of twelve Augustinian, or Black Canons, from Kirkham Priory, one of the number being their constituted prior :
in 1148 the monastery was raised by Pope Eugenius III. to abbatial rank, and in 1517 became a mitred abbey:
in 1541 it was dissolved and refounded by Henry VIII. as a college for a dean and twenty prebendaries, in honour of the Holy Trinity; it was visited by the king in person in the same year, when he stayed several days :
this new foundation however, lasted only till 1547, when the site was granted to Henry Holbeach, Bishop of Lincoln the clear yearly income being estimated at £594"