Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Settlement - Health
 
Boston, Cottage Hospital
Boston, Cottage Hospital
Boston, Cottage Hospital

Boston Cottage Hospital was built in 1874 for those suffering from accidents or curable diseases.

The 33-acre ‘Peoples Park’ was given to the people of Boston by the Corporation in 1871. W. H. Wheeler laid out pleasure gardens planted with trees and shrubs.

Football, cricket and other sports were played there.

Postcard posted in 1909

Boston, cottage hospital, People's Park, W H Wheeler
Boston, Cottage Hospital
Boston, Cottage Hospital
Boston, Cottage Hospital
Photograph from the 'Boston Album of Views', c.1900
Boston, hospital recreation ground
Boston, General Hospital
Boston, General Hospital
Boston, General Hospital

The former Boston General Hospital was situated on South End and established in 1871 in temporary premises as the Boston Cottage Hospital.

A new building was erected in 1874 and subsequently extended on several occasions.

The name was changed to Boston Hospital, c1887, and Boston General Hospital, c1937.

The Hospital was replaced by the new Boston Pilgrim Hospital, opened in 1971.

Photo dated 1958

Boston, General Hospital, Pilgrim Hospital
Boston, Woodlands Court
Boston, Woodlands Court
Boston, Woodlands Court

A home for the "aged sick".

photo dated 1958

Boston, Woodland Court, aged sick
Bracebridge Heath, Asylum
Bracebridge Heath, Asylum
Bracebridge Heath, Asylum

The hospital at Bracebridge Heath opened as the County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1852.

Designed in Italienate style, the huge complex of buildings could accommodate 250 patients, and was set in extensive grounds, which included gardens, a cemetery and a 30 acre farm worked by the inmates.

St John’s Hospital, as it was finally known, remained in use until 1989.  Seen here is the central block, which after standing empty for many years may yet be converted to apartments.

Postcard, 1904

Bracebridge Heath, lunatic asylum, St John Hospital
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building

A small part of the Main Building which has been redeveloped - viewed from Caistor Drive.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum, situated on an eminence in this parish, on the high road to Sleaford, and erected in 1852, is a building in the Italian style, enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881, 1902 and 1917:

the estate consists of 120 acres, cultivated chiefly by the spade husbandry of the inmates; the sewage is disposed of by irrigation over 10 acres of land about half a mile from the asylum, quite inoffensively and profitably:

the recreation grounds, which are tastefully laid out with flower beds, shrubs and trees, occupy about six acres:

a new chapel was erected in 1869 and will seat 450; there is also a cemetery of two acres, with a mortuary chapel.

H. Hickling esq. of Louth, is chairman of the committee of visitors; A.H.L. Melville, treasurer; H. E. Page, Bank street, Lincoln, clerk to the visitors; Thomas Leonard Johnston L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. medical superintendent; Rev. Alexander George Trimble M.A. chaplain"

DB 25 February 2019

Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital,
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building

Much of the Main Building is in poor condition having lain empty since the hospital closed in 1989.

"The hospital was designed by John Hamilton and James Medland in the Italianate style as the Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum and opened in 1852.

It became Bracebridge Pauper Lunatic Asylum in 1898 and Bracebridge Mental Hospital in 1919.

It served as an Emergency Hospital during the Second World War and, having been renamed Bracebridge Heath Hospital in 1939, joined the National Health Service in 1948.

It went on to become St John's Hospital, Bracebridge Heath in 1961"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s_Hospital,_Bracebridge_Heath 

DB 20 February 2019

Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building

White's History, Gazetteer And Directory Of Lincolnshire 1872 states :- 

"LINCOLNSHIRE COUNTY PAUPER LUNATIC ASYLUM is an extensive establishment pleasantly situated in Bracebridge heath, two miles South of Lincoln, on an elevated and healthy site near the high road to Sleaford.

The institution was opened in 1852 for 250 patients, since which considerable additions have been made, and it has now room for upwards of 600.

The plan and arrangements of this large asylum are in accordance with the most approved modern systems.

Attached to it are about 120 acres of land.

The building, which is plain Italian throughout, occupies with the court and airing grounds seven acres; about eight acres more are occupied by gardens, lawns, plantations, and roads; thus leaving about 105 acres for the farm, which is partly cultivated by spade husbandry, and gives healthy employment to a large number of male patients.

In 1870, the average number of patients was 582, consisting of 280 males, and 302 females.

Many of the latter are employed in the laundry, kitchen, needlework, &c.

A new detached chapel, containing 450 sittings, was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln, in 1869, and the original chapel appropriated to a recreation hall, in which the patients have weekly entertainments.

One of the most agreeable features of the asylum is the excellent manner in which the airing grounds are planted and laid; the flower beds, which are carefully kept and well stocked with bright and gay flowers, have a most cheerful aspect, which cannot but be gratifying and beneficial to the patients ..."

DB 25 February 2019

Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, Main Building
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, The Homestead
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, The Homestead
Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, The Homestead

"Former Medical Superintendents House, recently used as offices. 1902 by A. E. Gough. In the Italianate style"

"Built as part of St John's Hospital"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360602 

Now The Homestead pub/restaurant. 

DB 20 February 2019

Bracebridge Heath, St John's Hospital, The Homestead, Medical Superintendent
Dry Doddington, Telephone Kiosk, Type KX300
Dry Doddington, Telephone Kiosk, Type KX300
Dry Doddington, Telephone Kiosk, Type KX300

Former telephone kiosk next to the Wheatsheaf Inn.

Now used to house defibrillator.

DB 5 September 2018

Dry Doddington, Telephone Kiosk, KX300, defibrillator
Grantham, Hospital
Grantham, Hospital
Grantham, Hospital

The hospital on Manthorpe Road was opened by Countess Brownlow on 5 January 1876. It had cost over £5,000 and Lady Brownlow had laid the foundation stone on 29 October 1874 no doubt because the land on which it stood had been donated by her husband.

The central block of two storeys included an operating room, kitchen and offices and four bedrooms on the first floor. Wings on either side formed the wards for male and female patients.

A five-bed fever ward and the laundry stood separately to the rear. The building shown in the post-card has stood unused for several years.

postcard by Whipple of Grantham, 1903

Grantham, hospital, Lady Brownlow, Manthorpe Road
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital
Grimsby, Hospital

The hospital shown opened in 1877 on a site in the West Marsh area of Grimsby.

A new ward was built in 1885, the first of many such additions.  By 1910, an X-ray department had been established.

The hospital continued to adapt, serving the people of Grimsby, Cleethorpes and surrounding area until 1983, when the new Diana Princess of Wales hospital opened in the south of the town.

The old buildings were subsequently demolished to make way for housing.

Postcard, 1905

See: Grimsby: Making the Town  by Alan Dowling

Grimsby, hospital, West Marsh
Harmston Hall
Harmston Hall
Harmston Hall

Built 1710 for Sir George Thorold who was Lord Major of London 1719–20.

Estate sold 1898 to Nathaniel Clayton Cockburn, a grandson of Nathaniel Clayton, the Lincoln iron founder. 

Bought by the Lincolnshire Joint Board for the Mentally Defective, who opened it in 1935 as a 'Colony for Mental Defectives'.

Hospital closed in 1989 and is now a private residence.

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Files/Parish/829/Historical_Information.pdf 

DB 3 April 2018

Harmston, Hall, Sir George Thorold, Clayton, Lincolnshire Joint Board for the Mentally Defective
Horncastle, Old Dispensary
Horncastle, Old Dispensary
Horncastle, Old Dispensary

This Dispensary was opened in 1789 and offered 'Medical aid to the Poor'.

It was one of the first such establishments in Lincolnshire and was sponsored by Sir Joseph Banks. It was in use until 1866.

O.S. Grid Ref. TF25851 69508

Kathy Holland, 2013

Horncastle, dispensary, Joseph Banks
Lincoln, Lincoln School, WW1 Hospital
Lincoln, Lincoln School, WW1 Hospital
Lincoln, Lincoln School, WW1 Hospital

The 4th Northern General Hospital was set up in Lincoln School on Wragby Road at the beginning of World War I in August 1914.

By early October, the hospital cared for over 200 wounded Belgian soldiers. Many of the wards were in wooden buildings which had been quickly erected on the school playing field.

The school itself was housed in temporary classrooms at the junction of St Anne's Road and Sewell Road.

Undated postcard

Lincoln School, Wragby Road, World War I, Northern General Hospital,
Lincoln, The Lawn
Lincoln, The Lawn
Lincoln, The Lawn

South elevation of the asylum built in 1820.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Buildings, The Lawn
Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital
Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital
Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital

Crowtree Lane Hospital was built in 1873 at a cost of £2000 to replace the dispensary in New Street.

After the former workhouse on High Holme Road was developed as the main hospital for the town in 1938, Crowtree Lane dealt with maternity patients only.

It is now part of King Edward VI School.

Ken Redmore, 2006

Louth, Crowtree Lane Hospital,
Louth, Workhouse
Louth, Workhouse
Louth, Workhouse

The workhouse, now part of Louth Hospital, was built for the new Poor Law Union in 1837-9 to a design by George Gilbert Scott.

It had accommodation for 300 paupers and cost £6,000.

Pearl Wheatley, 2012

Louth, Workhouse, George Gilbert Scott
Mablethorpe, Convalescent Home
Mablethorpe, Convalescent Home
Mablethorpe, Convalescent Home

James Fowler, architect of Louth, designed this home close to the seafront for 53 patients with separate accommodation for males and females on a plan approved by Florence Nightingale.

The home opened in 1871 at a cost of £3800; it was demolished in the 1980s.

From original drawing by James Fowler


Mablethorpe, James Fowler, convalescent home
Rauceby Hall VAD Hospital
Rauceby Hall VAD Hospital
Rauceby Hall VAD Hospital

Rauceby Hall was used as a Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital during WW1.

Unposted postcard by T. Upton of Sleaford

South Rauceby, hospital, VAD
Skegness, Carey House
Skegness, Carey House
Skegness, Carey House

The Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Convalescent Homes were established at Castle Donington for women (1883), and at Seathorne (Skegness) for men (1891) and children (1893).

In 1922 it was decided to close the children's home, sell the women's home, and acquire temporary premises in the Skegness area.

A new women's home, Carey House, was opened in Skegness in 1932.

The Convalescent Homes passed to the National Health Service in 1948.

photograph dated 1958

Skegness, Carey House convalescent home
Skegness, Holiday Camp
Skegness, Holiday Camp
Skegness, Holiday Camp

The Derbyshire Miners' Welfare Holiday Camp at Winthorpe to the north end of Skegness was opened in May 1939.

It was the first development of the type to be constructed in this country.

Undated postcard

Skegness, Derbyshire, Miners' Welfare Home,
Skegness, Hospital
Skegness, Hospital
Skegness, Hospital

Skegness Cottage Hospital - as it was originally known - was funded by public subscription and was officially opened on 19 May 1913.

The hospital was subsequently extended on several occasions. It was later known as the Skegness and District Hospital.

The Hospital passed to the National Health Service in 1948.

Illustration from 1913

Skegness, hospital operating theatre
Skegness, hospital staff
Skegness, hospital staff
Skegness, hospital staff
The staff of Skegness Hospital in 1948
Skegness, hospital staff
Spilsby, Grace Swan Hospital
Spilsby, Grace Swan Hospital
Spilsby, Grace Swan Hospital

Grace Swan Memorial Cottage Hospital was built in the late 19th century with 25 beds shared between charity and fee-paying patients. Closed as a hospital in the 1990s it is now a health centre.

Undated postcard by Valentine's.

Spilsby, Grace Swan, hospital
Spital in the Street, Almshouses
Spital in the Street, Almshouses
Spital in the Street, Almshouses

These almshouses of 1620 were remodelled in the nineteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Spital In The Street, almshouses
Woodhall Spa, Baths and Doctor's House
Woodhall Spa, Baths and Doctor's House
Woodhall Spa, Baths and Doctor's House

Thomas Hotchkin built the spa baths in the late 1830s after discovering health-giving iodine-rich water in a disused well. The well collapsed in 1983 and has been disused ever since.

Wrench series postcard sent from Dewsbury to Bardney in 1920.

 

Woodhall Spa, baths
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses
Wragby, Almshouses

Wragby, Turbnor almshouses