Fydell House is thought to have been built in 1702-03 to a design by architect William Sands, who was responsible for the garden of Ayscoughfee Hall in Spalding.
The Jackson family were the original owners of the house and it was probably built for Mrs Lennox Jackson, who was then an elderly widow living with her family.
In 1733, Richard Fydell (1710-80), a worker in the wine trade, bought the house from Richard Browne. Richard went on to build a very successful business, which his son Thomas (1740-1812) continued.
Richard and Thomas between them were mayors of Boston six times. They also represented Boston in five parliaments. Thomas’s own son, Thomas Junior (1773 – 1814) also represented Boston at parliament.