"County Assembly Rooms, now in part a Masonic Temple. 1744, with front addition and vestibule 1908 by William Watkins of Lincoln"
White's Directory 1872 has a listing "The COUNTY ASSEMBLY ROOMS, in Bailgate, form a spacious brick building, erected by members of some of the leading families of the county, about the year 1745; but the refreshment rooms, &c., were not built till 1826.
The large and lofty ball room, measuring upwards of 70 feet in length and 30 in width, was redecorated in 1870 at a cost of about £300.
In November is held the Lincolnshire Colour or Stuff Ball, which was established during the last century for the encouragement of the stuff manufactures and the consumption of the great staple produce of the county - long wool: but as the specific object for which it was originally instituted has ceased to exist, there is no longer any necessity for ladies to appear here in stuff dresses as formerly.
The building is vested in five trustees, viz., W. C. Amcotts, Esq., M.P., H. Chaplin, Esq., M.P., W. Hutton, Esq., G. K. Jarvis, Esq., and J. B. Stanhope, Esq., Mr. W. Cooling is secretary".
DB 13 May 2019