This fine postcard depicts the garden with the fountain in full flow.
The fountain is believed to have been pumped by a pump made by John Braithwaite in 1817 and now in store at the Science Museum.
The pump was powered by a waterwheel which still survives in situ.
Braithwaite's detailed invoice for the work survives in the Brownlow deposit at Lincolnshire Archives and it is a remarkable list of parts together with details of the labour for installation.
This sunken formal garden and fountain are recognisable today, though
the garden design is much simplified and water no longer issues from