Viewed from the east showing chancel and side chapel windows.
Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-
"The church of St. Mary and St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, in the Transitional, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, with aisle chapels, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with crocketed spire and pinnacles and containing 5 bells:
the spire, restored in 1885, and the upper part of the tower are Perpendicular, but the lower portion of the tower is Decorated; the rest of the exterior is Perpendicular, some portion of it being quite late :
the north aisle arcade chiefly Transitional, the south Early English:
the north chancel chapel is believed to have been founded and dedicated to the Holy Trinity by Thomas Mason, ob. 1323 ; and the chapel on the opposite side by William Strood, ob. 1533, and there is an inscribed brass to William Strood and Agnes his wife, both of whom deceased 18 Feb. 1498; in the north chapel is a canopied monument, with a richly cusped and crocketed arch, surmounted by an embattled cornice, beneath which are two recumbent alabaster figures of a civilian and his wife, of the early 15th century :
there are also several memorials to the De Ligne family including, in the north chapel, an altar tomb of black marble to Sir Daniel De Ligne, knighted Oatlands, 4 July 1620, ob. 1686, and Lady Elizabeth, his wife, ob, 1682; above this is a mural monument, of Classical design, to Daniel De Ligne, d. 1730 ; Anna Maria, his daughter, d. 1729; Cadwallader Glynne, his nephew, d. 1730; and Dorothy (Burrell), wife of the latter, who erected the monument in 1742, and died in 1747:
near it is a modern mural tablet to the Gregory family, successors of the De Lignes and Glynnes:
at the east end of the south chancel chapel is a tomb of Perpendicular work, and near it a piscina with shelf and canopy of the same period:
the stained east window is a memorial to John Sherwin Gregory, d. 1869, and there are others to Gregory Gregory, d. 1860; the late Rev. Edward Garfit M.A. rector 1867-85; Henry Hemsley, and to Mrs. Sherwin Gregory:
the font is Decorated and enriched with carvings of a symbolical character:
in 1903 an oak screen was placed between the nave and chancel, and another between the nave and tower in 1906:
the church was thoroughly restored internally in 1890-1891, at a cost of £1,200, under the direction of Mr. John O. Scott. F. S.A. :
there are 200 sittings"
DB 26 September 2018