Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Linwood
 
Linwood, Methodist Chapel
Linwood, Methodist Chapel
Linwood, Methodist Chapel

This 'tin' chapel (corrugated iron on a structural timber frame) was erected for the Primitive Methodists in 1923.

The last service was held in 1959 and it was sold in 1965 but now appears to be totally disused.

April 2017

Linwood, Methodist chapel
Linwood, Methodist Chapel
Linwood, Methodist Chapel
Linwood, Methodist Chapel

Close up view of the chapel sign over the porch entrance.

The careful match of timber style with the barge-boarding on the main structure - and the finial - are noteworthy.

April 2017

Linwood, Methodist chapel
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius

A rare dedication to St Cornelius, Linwood’s church has an Early English nave, Perpendicular tower & spire and a chancel dating to 1854.

There are two brasses; one of 1419 to John Lyndewode & his wife with their seven children below and the other to their son John, of 1421, who is depicted standing on woolpack (the family were wool merchants).

Mark Acton, 2014

Linwood, St Cornelius church, John Lyndewode, wool merchant
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius

The church of St Cornelius - an attractive composition in an isolated leafy rural spot.

September 2016

Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius

The chancel, in Early English style, was rebuilt in 1854.

September 2016

Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius

The church tower is built of Lincolnshire ironstone with the recessed spire, a later addition, in 'grey stone'.

September 2016

Linwood, St Cornelius
Linwood, St Cornelius, window
Linwood, St Cornelius, window
Linwood, St Cornelius, window

A Perpendicular window in the north aisle.

September 2016

Linwood, St Cornelius, Windows