Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Little Steeping
 
Little Steeping, Railway Station
Little Steeping, Railway Station
Little Steeping, Railway Station

The site of Little Steeping station, between Boston and Firsby, seen here in 1970.

On 11 September 1961 it was one of 25 rural stations in the County that lost its passenger trains, but goods trains continued to call until 1964.

Trains between Boston and Skegness still pass the site but the signal box and traditional crossing gates have gone to be replaced with automatic barriers.

Note the signal box with a very pronounced backwards lean.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Little Steeping, railway station
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew

St Andrew's church in Little Steeping is, like many in the area, of greenstone patched with brick.

The tower and south arcade are late fourteenth-century whilst the north arcade is later Perpendicular.

Mark Acton, 2016
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew

The same view - on the same day - as the previous photo emphasising the remarkable patchwork effect of random greenstone, brick and stucco.

May 2016

Little Steeping, St Andrew church
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew

Detail of construction and repair at the south-east corner of the chancel.

Small limestone blocks form quoins to the lower part of the corner.

Seventeenth century bricks interleaved with greenstone rubble stone are used for repair work, and lighter coloured Victorian bricks are incorporated in the south wall.

May 2016

Little Steeping, St Andrew church
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew
Little Steeping, St Andrew

There is evidence of much repair in the tower, not only in varied materials but also in tie rods supporting the structure.

The original tower dates from the fourteenth century.

May 2016

Little Steeping, St Andrew church
Little Steeping, St Andrew, date stone
Little Steeping, St Andrew, date stone
Little Steeping, St Andrew, date stone

This datestone is over the doorway leading to the north aisle.

'1638:  WP RC' (Initials of churchwardens)

This is thought to be the date of extensive restoration of the church, including use of red brick.

May 2016

Little Steeping, St Andrew, date stone
Little Steeping, St Andrew, gargoyle
Little Steeping, St Andrew, gargoyle
Little Steeping, St Andrew, gargoyle

This gargoyle is above the south aisle.

May 2016

Little Steeping, St Andrew church, gargoyle
Little Steeping, St Andrew, porch
Little Steeping, St Andrew, porch
Little Steeping, St Andrew, porch

An attractive well-proportioned porch in Perpendicular style with diagonal buttresses and alternating bands of brick and greenstone.

May 2016

Little Steeping, St Andrew church, porch
Little Steeping, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Little Steeping, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Little Steeping, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The foundation stone for this chapel was laid in 1896; it was the second chapel to be built on this site.

The chapel was last used for worship in 1971 and was sold in the expectation of conversion to a dwelling in 1976.

It is located at NGR TF 432 629

Barry Barton, 1979

Little Steeping, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel