Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
New Leake
 
East Fen, Primitive Methodist Chapel
East Fen, Primitive Methodist Chapel
East Fen, Primitive Methodist Chapel

Built close to Hobhole Drain at Lade Bank Bridge in 1855, the chapel was enlarged in 1891.

The last service in the chapel was held in 1969 and the building was sold later that year.

It currently serves as the garage for the neighbouring bungalow.

It is located in New Leake parish (TF 379 548)

Barry Barton, 1978

New Leake, East Fen Primitive Methodist Chapel
New Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station
New Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station
New Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station

The fine steam-powered pumping station of 1867 has been retained, even though it was succeeded by a new structure containing diesel pumps in 1938, (seen here to the right background).

The pumps lift water from a large area of the East Fen into the Hobhole Drain, which runs south into the Haven SE of Boston.

New Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station, Hobhole Drain, East Fen,
New&nbnsp;Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station
New&nbnsp;Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station
New&nbnsp;Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station

This fine pumping station (TF 379 545), was built in 1867, to pump water from the East Fen into the Hobhole Drain which runs south to Boston Haven.

Diesel pumps were installed in 1940 but the boiler chimney from the days of steam pumping has been retained.

Hobhole Drain formed part of an extensive network of navigable waterways in the area and there are the remains of a lock alongside the pumping station.

This early photograph appears to show work completing the lock and the pumping station outfall.

Old Leake, Lade Bank Pumping Station
New Leake, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
New Leake, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
New Leake, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Chapel was built in Sibsey Road in 1838 and a schoolroom was added in 1848.

The building was sold in 1977 after the Methodists began a shared use arrangement with the Anglicans at St Jude’s parish church.

Methodist services in the parish came to an end in 1984.

The chapel building is now a private house, ‘The Old Chapel’; the schoolroom has been demolished.

It is located at NGR TF 402 573.

Barry Barton, 1978

New Leake, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel