Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Skegness
 
Skegness, Bathing Pool
Skegness, Bathing Pool
Skegness, Bathing Pool

Skegness's open air swimming pool or lido was close to the sea front.

undated postcard

Skegness, bathing pool
Skegness, Boating Lake
Skegness, Boating Lake
Skegness, Boating Lake

Skegness Boating Lake, created between the wars was always a popular visitor attraction.

In the distance is the pier.

undated postcard by Valentine

Skegness, boating lake, valentine
Skegness, Carey House
Skegness, Carey House
Skegness, Carey House

The Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Convalescent Homes were established at Castle Donington for women (1883), and at Seathorne (Skegness) for men (1891) and children (1893).

In 1922 it was decided to close the children's home, sell the women's home, and acquire temporary premises in the Skegness area.

A new women's home, Carey House, was opened in Skegness in 1932.

The Convalescent Homes passed to the National Health Service in 1948.

photograph dated 1958

Skegness, Carey House convalescent home
Skegness, Clock Tower
Skegness, Clock Tower
Skegness, Clock Tower

The most famous seafront feature of Skegness is the 56-feet Clock Tower, which stands at the junction of Lumley Road with Grand Parade.

It was erected in 1898-99 by public subscription (£550) to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.

The architect was Edmund Winter of Liverpool and it was built by W H Parker of Boston.

Postcard, undated

Skegness, Clock Tower, Diamond Jubilee, Edmund Winter, W H Parker, Boston
Skegness, Fairy Dell Fountain
Skegness, Fairy Dell Fountain
Skegness, Fairy Dell Fountain

The Fairy Dell Fountain was part of a large complex of landscape and water features created along the front at Skegness between Grand Parade and the beach.

These attractions included areas for paddling and bathing as well as a boating lake and waterway.

Undated postcard

Skegness, Fairy Dell, Fountain, foreshore, Grand Parade,
Skegness, Gibraltar Point
Skegness, Gibraltar Point
Skegness, Gibraltar Point

Gibraltar Point, near Skegness, became a National Nature Reserve in 1984 and is managed by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.

After silting caused the end of Wainfleet as a port on the River Steeping, a small community grew up at Gibraltar Point with a pub, coastguard station, farm and cottages.

Further silting saw the end of commercial boat use in the 1920s.

Plans for a speedway track and a new town never materialised and the point was bought by Lindsey County Council in 1937 to safeguard against further development.

undated postcard

Skegness, Gibraltar Point, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust, Wainfleet
Skegness, Holiday Camp
Skegness, Holiday Camp
Skegness, Holiday Camp

The Derbyshire Miners' Welfare Holiday Camp at Winthorpe to the north end of Skegness was opened in May 1939.

It was the first development of the type to be constructed in this country.

Undated postcard

Skegness, Derbyshire, Miners' Welfare Home,
Skegness, Hospital
Skegness, Hospital
Skegness, Hospital

Skegness Cottage Hospital - as it was originally known - was funded by public subscription and was officially opened on 19 May 1913.

The hospital was subsequently extended on several occasions. It was later known as the Skegness and District Hospital.

The Hospital passed to the National Health Service in 1948.

Illustration from 1913

Skegness, hospital operating theatre
Skegness, hospital staff
Skegness, hospital staff
Skegness, hospital staff
The staff of Skegness Hospital in 1948
Skegness, hospital staff
Skegness, Lumley Road
Skegness, Lumley Road
Skegness, Lumley Road

Lumley Road and High Street Skegness converge at a point close to the foreshore.

This early twentieth century photograph looks westwards away from the sea and provides a view down both streets.

To the left, on High Street, is Hildred's Hotel, which was established in the mid-nineteenth century well before the explosive growth of Skegness as a seaside resort.

The hotel is now the site of a small shopping arcade.

Undated postcard

Skegness, Lumley Road, High Street, Hildred's Hotel,
Skegness, Lumley Road
Skegness, Lumley Road
Skegness, Lumley Road

The view down Lumley Road, Skegness, towards the sea.

Most of the town's retail businesses were situated along this road and on High Street, which runs roughly parallel to it.

At the far end is the Clock Tower, 56 feet high, built in 1898-99 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

(Lumley is one of family names of the Earls of Scarbrough, principal landowner in the town.)


Undated postcard

Skegness, Lumley Road, Clock Tower, Earl of Scarbrough,
Skegness, Methodist Church
Skegness, Methodist Church
Skegness, Methodist Church

The site of the Methodist Chapel in Algitha Road was given by the Earl of Scarbrough and the chapel was built for £1800 in 1882.

Seating in the chapel was for 600 (at a time when the population of the town was only 1358).

The front and east walls of the chapel (seen here) were seriously damaged in an air raid on Skegness on 16 February 1941. Full repairs, costing £3250, were delayed until the late 1940s.

December 2012

Skegness, Methodist Church, Algitha Road, Earl of Scarbrough, air raid
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier

Skegness pier was built in 1881 and was the fourth longest in England at 1843ft (562m).

The seaward end of the pier boasted a fine pavilion and concert hall.

Popular steamship pleasure trips across the Wash to Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast operated from a landing stage nearby.

Postcard, 1912

Skegness, pier, steamers,
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier

A severe storm on the night of 11/12 January 1978 destroyed almost half of the pier.

The concert hall was demolished some years later and little now remains of the original structure.

Ken Redmore, 2004

Skegness, pier, storm damage,
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier
Skegness, Pier

The exceptional length of Skegness Pier - over one-third of a mile - can be appreciated in this unusual view of Skegness pier, looking from the pier head towards the land.

Undated postcard

Skegness, pier,
Skegness, pier
Skegness, pier
Skegness, pier

Skegness Pier was completed in 1881; at 1843 ft (562m) it was the fourth longest in Britain and cost about £20,000.

card in Valentine's Series, posted 1910

Skegness, pier, Valentine
Skegness, pier entrance
Skegness, pier entrance
Skegness, pier entrance

The entrance to the pier at Skegness was designed by Clarke & Pickwell of Hull and was remodelled in 1936.

Two kiosks on either side of the entrance were at one time occupied by a barber and a palmist.

card by Cotman-Color, posted 1955
Skegness, pier entrance, Clarke & Pickwell of Hull
Skegness, Police Headquarters
Skegness, Police Headquarters
Skegness, Police Headquarters
The police headquarters in Skegness - the principal one for the east of the county - was built in 1974.
Skegness, police station
Skegness, Scarbrough Avenue
Skegness, Scarbrough Avenue
Skegness, Scarbrough Avenue

Although this postcard is entitled "Lumley Road" it is a view of Scarbrough Avenue, looking west towards Powlett Circus.

undated postcard

Skegness, Scarbrough Avenue
Skegness, St Clement
Skegness, St Clement
Skegness, St Clement

St Clement's Church, Skegness, is the original parish church of the town.

It was built shortly after disastrous floods in the sixteenth century.

It has been disused for many years though the graveyard remains open.

Undated postcard

Skegness, St Clement, church, redundant,
Skegness, St Matthew
Skegness, St Matthew
Skegness, St Matthew

In the late-nineteenth century, as part of a major development of Skegness largely controlled by the principal landowner, the Earl of Scarbrough, a new church was built and dedicated to St Matthew.

The architect, James Fowler of Louth, chose the Early English Gothic style.

The foundation stone was laid in 1879 and the church consecrated (though incomplete) in 1880.

A tower planned for the west end (extreme left in the photograph) was never built.


Undated postcard

Skegness, St Matthew church, Earl of Scarbrough, James Fowler,
Skegness, war memorial
Skegness, war memorial
Skegness, war memorial

This memorial is situated on the south side of St Matthew’s church and was unveiled on 15 November 1923 - the event shown in this photograph.

It is similar in design to the Cross of Sacrifice found in Commonwealth War Grave cemeteries.

Skegness lost 70 men in the First World War.

Skegness, war memorial