Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Timberland
 
Timberland, Church Street
Timberland, Church Street
Timberland, Church Street

Timberland lies 9 miles north-east of Sleaford. It is close to the Roman-built Car Dyke.

Scopwick and Timberland railway station on the Lincoln-Sleaford line opened in 1882 and closed in 1955.

John William Houldershaw was the proprietor of the grocer's shop on the right of this scene which dates from the inter-war period.

Timberland, Houldershaw, Car Dyke
Timberland, Manor House
Timberland, Manor House
Timberland, Manor House

 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Manor House
Timberland, Penny Farthing Inn, Station Road
Timberland, Penny Farthing Inn, Station Road
Timberland, Penny Farthing Inn, Station Road

The Penny Farthing's website gives little historical information.

https://www.thepennyfarthinginn.co.uk/about-us/ 

Penny Farthing not marked on older Ordnance Survey maps but the Houghton Arms, Main Street is shown. 

The Houghton Arms was named after Lord Houghton who was lord of the manor of Timberland and a principal landowner. Houghton Arms now closed and has been converted into a private house.

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Penny Farthing Inn, Lord Houghton, Houghton Arms
Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel

"The Timberland Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1878 and closed in 1940"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Timberland--Church-Lane-Chapel--Primitive-Methodist-/622504.record?pt=S 

Now a private house. 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Primitive Methodist chapel
Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel

A second view of the former chapel.

April 2018

Timberland, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Timberland, School
Timberland, School
Timberland, School

School and School House on the right.

"The school was built in 1840 and was connected to the National Society in 1847 as Timberland National School.

At some time after 1903 it became known as Timberland CE School.

It became a primary school in September 1956, with the senior pupils transferred to the new Ruskington Secondary Modern School.

The school was closed on 6 April 1971, with the children transferred to the Mrs Mary King's School at Martin.

The school was sometimes also known as Timberland School, Timberland Village School, and (in 1968) Timberland National CE Primary School"

https://www.lincstothepast.com/TIMBERLAND-CE-SCHOOL/885939.record?pt=S 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, School
Timberland, School
Timberland, School
Timberland, School

Detail of heraldry.

"Juste et Droit" means "Just and Right" and was the motto of Sir Thomas Whichcote Bart. He was a principal landowner and presumably helped establish the school. 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, School, Sir Thomas Whichcote, Juste et Droit, heraldry
Timberland, St Andrew
Timberland, St Andrew
Timberland, St Andrew

Both nave and chancel of St Andrew’s have been rebuilt since medieval times, and there was an extensive restoration in 1887 by H Goddard.

The broad, buttressed tower of St Andrew’s, however, is partly 12th century work, while the nave arcades date from the 13th and 14th centuries.

August 2013  

Timberland, St Andrew church, H Goddard
Timberland, St Andrew
Timberland, St Andrew
Timberland, St Andrew

Door in south side of chancel, part of Goddard's nineteenth century restoration in Perpendicular style.

August 2013

Timberland, St Andrew church, doorway
Timberland, St Andrew
Timberland, St Andrew
Timberland, St Andrew

"West tower of 3 stages, with very massive irregularly placed buttresses with set-offs.

West face has short off-centre buttress with 2 memorial tablets to the First and Second World Wars"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1205586 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Saint Andrew, church, tower
Timberland, St Andrew, Churchyard Cross
Timberland, St Andrew, Churchyard Cross
Timberland, St Andrew, Churchyard Cross

In memory of Christopher George Wheat former parish priest who died 1908.

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Saint Andrew, church, churchyard cross, Christopher George Wheat
Timberland, St Andrew, War Memorial
Timberland, St Andrew, War Memorial
Timberland, St Andrew, War Memorial

Stone tablets, on the west side of the church tower, recording the names of the fallen.

Tablet for the First World War Unveiled May 1920 by the Bishop of Lincoln.  

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, War Memorial
Timberland, Village Hall
Timberland, Village Hall
Timberland, Village Hall

Contains a library and hosts many community events.

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/TimberlandincThorpeTilney/section.asp?catId=26447 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Village Hall
Timberland, Village Sign
Timberland, Village Sign
Timberland, Village Sign

Sited on Station Road leading into the village.

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Village Sign
Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in Bakehouse Lane in the early 1820s. It was replaced by the West Street chapel in 1878"

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/708/timberlandweststreet.pdf 

DB 22 May 2018

Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A second view of the chapel.

April 2018

Timberland, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel