This substantial and impressive church, like so many, has elements built at various times through the medieval period; was restored in the nineteenth century.
The church is constructed of several materials: ashlar, coursed rubble, red brick and render.
The large east window dates from the restoration of 1869.
The stone-built chancel dates from the early fourteenth century but the impressive east window is a replacement of 1869.
Peter Kirk Collection, 1999
St Mary's tower was built of red brick on a stone base in the fifteenth century.
Pete Kirk Collection, 1999
‘Incorporated within the north wall [of the north aisle] are fragments of a C15 tomb chest with cusped rectangles containing single shields.’
‘West side [of the tower] with moulded arched C15 doorway with hood mould, worn label stops and brick relieving arch.
'Flanking the head are single arched and cusped ashlar niches containing single C20 carved figures. Single ashlar shields in cusped rectangles under.’
‘Fifteenth-century font with octagonal bowl, the panels decorated with angels holding shields.’
View down the nave, looking east.
‘5 bay C13 nave arcades with circular columns and responds, moulded capitals with some unfinished decoration.’
View from the chancel looking west down the nave.
‘The fourteenth-century double chamfered chancel arch is supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals.’
The traceried screen dates from the Victorian restoration.
The roof over the nave is an impressive construction.
The fifteenth-century ‘nave roof with moulded and chamfered beams and curved braces.’