Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Uffington
 
Uffington House
Uffington House
Uffington House

Uffington House, seat of the Earls of Lindsey, was built in the 1690s and burned down in 1904.

Some outbuildings remain and there are fine gate piers facing the churchyard.

Postcard of uncertain date

Uffington, Uffington House, Earl of Lindsey
Uffington House
Uffington House
Uffington House

Uffington was a substantial and impressive house built for Charles Bertie in 1688.

The staircase, walls and ceilings were painted by Verrio.

The house was destroyed by fire in 1904 and never rebuilt.

Gates, stables and a few other outbuildings – all in fine style – remain.

Uffington, House, Charles Bertie, Verrio
Uffington, Parish Boundary Marker
Uffington, Parish Boundary Marker
Uffington, Parish Boundary Marker

This cast-iron boundary post is alongside the A16 about one mile west of Stamford town centre (TF 046078).

It marks the boundary between Uffington and St George's parish, Stamford.

It is one of the four nineteenth century parishes in the town.

Ken Redmore, 2010

Uffington, boundary post, cast iron, Stamford, St George,
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels

The five-light east window of the chancel dates from the restoration of 1864.

The taller, 15th century north chapel has a fine east window with panel tracery and Victorian stained glass.

September 2014

Uffington, St Michael & All Angels church
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels

Next to the chancel of St Michael’s is a tall 15th century north chapel.

The north aisle with its Decorated style windows was rebuilt in Victorian times.

September 2014

Uffington, St Michael & All Angels church
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels

Both the tower with its battlements and pinnacles, and the tall spire with its crockets and flying buttresses, date from the 14th century.

September 2014

Uffington, St Michael & All Angels church
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels, corbel
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels, corbel
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels, corbel

An elaborate Victorian corbel in the nave.

September 2014

Uffington, St Michael & All Angels church, corbel
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels, pulpit
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels, pulpit
Uffington, St Michael & All Angels, pulpit

The responds to the chancel arch (left) have rich naturalistic carving.

Above the pulpit is an ogee canopy.

September 2014

Uffington, St Michael & All Angels church, ogee canopy
Uffington, Stamford Canal Bridge
Uffington, Stamford Canal Bridge
Uffington, Stamford Canal Bridge

Stamford Canal runs parallel to the river Welland between Stamford and Deeping St James, in places as a separate channel and elsewhere as a stretch of the river made navigable.

As the canal crosses Uffington Park, 1.5 miles east of Stamford, the bed of the former canal is completely dry, though its route can still be clearly seen across the pasture land.

This small bridge once carried farm and other estate traffic across the canal.

Ken Redmore 2010

Uffington, Stamford Canal, Bridge,
Uffington, Village Scene
Uffington, Village Scene
Uffington, Village Scene

Street scene in Uffington thought to be in the 1920s.

postcard

Uffington, village street