Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Woodhall Spa
 
Woodhall Spa, Golf Course
Woodhall Spa, Golf Course
Woodhall Spa, Golf Course

Woodhall Spa's first 18-hole golf course opened in 1905. It was built on land given by Stafford Hotchkin, a local landowner.

Now named the Hotchkin Course, it is considered one of the finest in the country.

This photograph shows play on the eighteenth green.

Undated Postcard

Woodhall Spa, Golf Course, Stafford Hotchkin,
Woodhall Spa, Methodist Church
Woodhall Spa, Methodist Church
Woodhall Spa, Methodist Church

The striking red-brick chapel on Broadway opened in 1907, costing about £4000.

In the 1990s the chapel was sold for business use and the ancillary buildings to the rear on Iddesleigh Road were adapted for worship and other church and community activities.

August 2013

Woodhall Spa, Methodist Church
Woodhall Spa, Petwood Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Petwood Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Petwood Hotel

Woodhall Spa, Petwood Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Railway Station
Woodhall Spa, Railway Station
Woodhall Spa, Railway Station

Woodhall Spa station was on the 7-mile line opened in 1855 between Kirkstead (later Woodhall Junction) and Horncastle. Passenger services ceased in 1954 and goods traffic in 1971.

This view looking west from the station shows the extremely acute angle of the road and railway crossing.  Cyclists often found this hazardous.

This postcard was posted in 1909.

Woodhall Spa, railway station
Woodhall Spa, Railway Station
Woodhall Spa, Railway Station
Woodhall Spa, Railway Station

Woodhall Spa was the only intermediate station on the Horncastle branch railway which opened in 1855.

This is the Broadway level crossing and, in the foreground, is the site of the passenger station.

Passenger trains stopped running on the line in 1954 and the station was demolished. Goods trains continued to use the line until final closure in 1971.

Space was very limited by the railway and the town’s only goods siding was further south, beyond a second level crossing. The siding was in use until 1964.

Peter Grey Archive, 1970

Woodhall Spa, railway station
Woodhall Spa, St Andrew
Woodhall Spa, St Andrew
Woodhall Spa, St Andrew

The church of St Andrew, Woodhall Spa, now demolished, was built in 1846.

It stood at the north-western side of the crossroads in the centre of the town, where the small churchyard survives.

Because of the steep rise in population growth following the success of the spa, the much larger St Peter's church was built on Broadway in 1893.

Postcard, undated

Woodhall Spa, St Andrew, demolished,
Woodhall Spa, St Peter
Woodhall Spa, St Peter
Woodhall Spa, St Peter

A brick church, with a tiny half-timbered bell-turret and spire, St Peter’s was designed by Hodgson Fowler and opened in 1893, becoming the parish church in 1915.

The spacious interior has a carved rood screen and a reredos.

August 2013

Woodhall Spa, St Peter church, Hodgson Fowler
Woodhall Spa, St Peter, Interior
Woodhall Spa, St Peter, Interior
Woodhall Spa, St Peter, Interior

St Peter’s was built in 1893 to accommodate the town’s growing population and increasing visitor numbers.

Designed by C H Fowler with seating for 500 people, the church is brick outside and in, with a broad nave and broad south aisle.

The chancel was completed in 1904, with a fine stone reredos behind the altar (shown here).

In 1915 St Peter’s replaced St Andrew’s as the Parish Church of Woodhall Spa.

See: www.woodhallspa.org
and Woodhall Spa - Past and Present by Marjorie Sargeant (pub  2008)

Woodhall Spa, St Peter church, interior, reredos, Charles Hodgson Fowler
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel at Woodhall was still profitable in 1920 when it was destroyed by fire.

Postcard, undated

Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel, fire,
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel, showing here the new suites of rooms with balconies added in 1906.

Postcard, undated

Woodhall Spa,
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel

The original Victoria Hotel opened in 1839, and catered for visitors to the recently opened bath house.

As Woodhall Spa 'took off' as a fashionable resort, the hotel expanded greatly, to provide appropriate accommodation for its 'society' guests.

 

Postcard, undated

Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel,
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel
Woodhall Spa, Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel, at the junction of Spa and Coronation Roads, was ideally placed for visitors to the bath house.

As Woodhall Spa 'took off' as a fashionable resort, the hotel expanded greatly, to provide appropriate accommodation for its 'society' guests.

Shown here are new suites of rooms with balconies added in 1906.

Postcard, undated

Woodhall Spa,