Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Aisthorpe
 
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall

Aisthorpe Hall was built in the seventeenth century and extended in 1821.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Aisthorpe, Hall
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables

The stables were built in the eighteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Aisthorpe, Hall stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables

On the entrance to the stables at Aisthorpe Hall is this coat of arms. The initials J.B. refer to Joseph Billiat.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Aisthorpe, Hall stables, Joseph Billiat
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables
Aisthorpe, Aisthorpe Hall, Stables

Over the stables of the Hall is this fine cupola with lead covered ogee roof and weather vane surmounted by a quill feather.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Aisthorpe, Hall stables
Aisthorpe, Cricket Club Pavillion
Aisthorpe, Cricket Club Pavillion
Aisthorpe, Cricket Club Pavillion

Aisthorpe Cricket Club was "Founded in 1895 ... 

After a less than auspicious start to its life, beginning on a losing streak, which it found hard to recover from, it took a necessary break in 1914, not to return in any form until 1932 ...

it was resurrected again in 1946, thanks to the efforts of Dr Monteith at Aisthorpe Hall ...

During the 1960s and 1970s Aisthorpe were often winning the League, and Major Hoult Division One Trophies" 

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/brattleby/section.asp?catId=37043 

The pavillion stands just to the east of Aisthorpe Hall at National Grid Reference SK 94743 80570.

DB 19 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Cricket Club Pavillion
Aisthorpe, Gate Lodge
Aisthorpe, Gate Lodge
Aisthorpe, Gate Lodge

Gate Lodge to Aisthorpe Hall marked on OS 25 inch map published 1886.

DB 19 November 2020

Aisthorpe Hall Gate Lodge
Aisthorpe, Old Rectory
Aisthorpe, Old Rectory
Aisthorpe, Old Rectory

The south elevation of the Old Rectory, built in 1876.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Aisthorpe, Old Rectory
Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton
Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton
Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton

RAF Scampton also extends into the neighbouring parishes of Aisthorpe and Brattleby.

Bulk fuel installation at National Grid Reference SK 96178 79958 close to the site of the former Aisthorpe House.

"RAF Scampton currently has one BFI (Bulk Fuel Installation) for aviation fuel, which is a former NATO installation (BFI 7).

Until closure in 1996, RAF Scampton was connected to the Government Pipeline Storage System (GPSS), which supplied AVTUR (F34) to BFI 7 from an underground pipeline running from a depot at Mistarton.

The fuel was premixed with corrosion and ice inhibiting chemicals before being pumped into the system.

The pipeline entered the site from the west from a spur of the main pipeline and connected to the PRE from where fuel was pumped directly to BFI 7 via an underground pipeline.

The pipeline was fitted with cathodic protection and was tested on a regular basis.

The pipeline is now disconnected and the on site section of pipeline running between the PRE to BFI 7 was removed in 1996.

At present, 18 000 litre bowsers travel by road from RAFC Cranwell to fill BFI 7 on a daily basis, having to cross the main runway at the 05 threshold to access the BFI"

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2020-0094/Annex_M_RAF_Scampton_LQA.pdf 

DB 13 November 2020 


Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton, Bulk fuel installation
Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton
Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton
Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton

RAF Scampton also extends into the neighbouring parishes of Aisthorpe and Brattleby.

"RAF Scampton stands on the site of a First World War Royal Flying Corps landing field, which had been called Brattleby.

The station was closed and returned to agriculture following the First World War, and reactivated in the 1930s.

It has provided an airfield for fighters in the First World War, bombers during the Second World War and V-force Avro Vulcans during the Cold War ...

Since the temporary closure of RAF Scampton in 1996, and subsequent reactivation, the base has provided a home ... to private companies, temporarily, such as Hawker Hunter Aviation, for the maintenance and storage of aircraft"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Scampton 

Facilities pictured near National Grid reference SK 958 804. 

DB 13 November 2020 

Aisthorpe, RAF Scampton
Aisthorpe, School
Aisthorpe, School
Aisthorpe, School

Former school now a private residence. 

White's Directory 1872 states "Here is a small day school, attended by about 20 children".

The school must then have closed because Kelly's Directory 1919 states "The children of this parish attend the schhools at; Brattleby & Scampton".

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, School
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter

A neglected building in an isolated spot on the edge of the village with an overgrown churchyard.

It was built by T C Hine in 1867 with a short broach spire - hardly typical of this part of the county.

Windows and tracery are thirteenth century in style.

August 2013

Aisthorpe, St Peter, T C Hine
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter

The windows and tracery of St Peter's are thirteenth century in style.

August 2013

Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter

Kelly's Directory 1919 states "T'he church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, north porch and an embattled western tower, with spire, containing 5 bells:

the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Charles Bernal; the west window was given by the Rev. William Charles Salter M.A.  rector of Brattleby, 1861-84, and some time principal of St. Alban Hall, Oxford:

the church was re-built in 1868, at a cost of £2,500, by the late Rev. Robert William Otter B.A. rector from 1850, from designs by Mr. T. C. Hine, architect:

there are 150 sittings"

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image, T. C. Hine
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter

White's Directory 1856, before the church was rebuilt in 1867, states that "The Church (St. Peter) is a small structure, with a nave, chancel, and tower"

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter

White's Directory 1872 states "The Church (St. Peter), rebuilt in 1867, wholly at the expense of the present rector, is a neat stone structure, in the Early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, north porch, vestry, and a tower containing five bells and surmounted with a spire.

The east window is filled with beautiful stained glass, representing various events in the life of Our Lord, and was inserted in 1870, by the rector, in memory of the Rev. Charles Bernal.

The building is fitted with open benches, furnishing 110 sittings, and contains a good organ"

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter
Aisthorpe, St Peter

"Parish church. 1867 by T. C. Hine of Nottingham"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359462 

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image, T. C. Hine
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Churchyard
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Churchyard
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Churchyard

Entrance to the churchyard with boot scraper built into the gate pier.

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Porch
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Porch
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Porch

"Gabled north porch with pointed headed doorway"

http://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359462 

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image, porch
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Porch
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Porch
Aisthorpe, St Peter, Porch

"Inside a single chamfered doorway without capitals"

http://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359462 

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, Saint Peter, Church, image, porch
Aisthorpe, View
Aisthorpe, View
Aisthorpe, View

A view over Aisthorpe from Middle Street to the east.

White's Directory 1872 states "AISTHORPE, or East Thorpe, 6 miles N.N.W. of Lincoln, is a parish and small straggling village, containing 110 souls, and 803 acres of land, consisting chiefly of clay.

John Robert Ealand, Esq., of Aisthorpe House, owns and occupies all the land in the parish, except about 40 acres, belonging to the Rector ...

Henry Amcotts, a native of this place, was Lord Mayor of London, in 1548". 

DB 13 November 2020

Aisthorpe, view, image, Henry Amcotts