Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Anwick
 
Anwick, County Forge
Anwick, County Forge
Anwick, County Forge

"House, shoeing bay and forge in the Gothick taste. Early C19, altered C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168331 

An entry in Kelly's Directory 1905 reads "Hart Walter, blacksmith"

DB 2020

Anwick, smithy, blacksmith, County Forge
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy

Two slated conical-roofed Gothic buildings have a rectangular link.

One end houses the village smithy, the other living accommodation.

The building dates around 1800 with later alterations and was refurbished in 2003.

It now produces decorative iron work and has an on-site gallery.

Stewart Squires, 2004

Anwick, smithy, blacksmith,
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy
Anwick, Smithy

This unusual composite building dates from c.1800 with later alterations.

Two slate roofed conical "pavilions” are linked by a rectangular block. The smithy was at one end.

June 2013

Anwick, smithy
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith

The church has both Early English and Decorated features with some fine ashlar work.

The south porch (seen here) has a Decorated entrance

Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith

The bell openings in the tower are typical of the Decorated period.  There is a frieze of leaves and figures.

June 2013

Anwick, St Edith, tower, spire, lucarnes
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith

View from the south-east across the churchyard.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith

The finely decorated spire has three tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith
Anwick, St Edith, capital
Anwick, St Edith, capital
Anwick, St Edith, capital

A capital in the north aisle dating from the thirteenth century. It is decorated with both nailhead and dog-tooth work.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, capital
Anwick, St Edith, capital
Anwick, St Edith, capital
Anwick, St Edith, capital

Capital from the south aisle.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, capital
Anwick, St Edith, Chancel
Anwick, St Edith, Chancel
Anwick, St Edith, Chancel

"Chancel was restored in 1900 and has a triple sedilia of that date with cusped headed compartments and beyond a contemporary piscina.

The elevated altar has a marble reredos"

"1900 oak choir stalls"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061829 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, Chancel
Anwick, St Edith, Churchyard Cross
Anwick, St Edith, Churchyard Cross
Anwick, St Edith, Churchyard Cross

This fragment of a cross with its fluted shaft stands to the east of the church.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, cross
Anwick, St Edith, Graffito
Anwick, St Edith, Graffito
Anwick, St Edith, Graffito

The porch of St Edith's church has stone benches along each side and once served as the village schoolroom with vicar or curate as schoolmaster.

The graffiti on the porch walls include dates, initials and several sketches similar to this. Perhaps this was an exercise in geometry or had it a deeper significance?

June 2013

Anwick, graffito
Anwick, St Edith, graffito
Anwick, St Edith, graffito
Anwick, St Edith, graffito

A second example of graffiti in the church porch - a clear image of a sailing ship.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, graffito
Anwick, St Edith, interior
Anwick, St Edith, interior
Anwick, St Edith, interior

View towards the chancel showing the fine quatrefoil piers of both arcades.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, Interior
Anwick, St Edith, memorial
Anwick, St Edith, memorial
Anwick, St Edith, memorial

Monuments and tablets honouring parish clergy are common in churches. This prominent memorial in the Anwick church commemorating Henry Ashington is unusual in that he died in France, presumably on holiday.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, memorial, Henry Ashington
Anwick, St Edith, Monument
Anwick, St Edith, Monument
Anwick, St Edith, Monument

Memorial to Midshipman Alfred Angelo Ashington, son of the Vicar of Anwick, who died along with some 480 other members of the crew of HMS Captain which sank on 7 September 1870. It is located in the north aisle.

Mark Acton, 2018

Anwick, Ashington, HMS Captain
Anwick, St Edith, Monument
Anwick, St Edith, Monument
Anwick, St Edith, Monument

"In the south aisle a wall plaque to Gerard Gardiner, d.1742, debased Corinthian columns supporting a segmental pediment with fluted keyblock, cherub and flaming urn"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061829 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, monument, Gerard Gardiner
Anwick, St Edith, Nave
Anwick, St Edith, Nave
Anwick, St Edith, Nave

View looking east towards the chancel.

"C19 pitch pine pews"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061829 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, Nave
Anwick, St Edith, North Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, North Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, North Aisle

"C13 north arcade with quatrefoil filleted shafts, hobnail annular capitals, chamfered and rolled arches with dogtoothing and human head stops"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061829 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, North Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, notice
Anwick, St Edith, notice
Anwick, St Edith, notice

Record of the grant from the Incorporated Church Building Society for 'pewing' the church in 1911.

As was normally the case, the associated condition was for free sittings throughout the church.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, church notice, Incorporated Church Building Society
Anwick, St Edith, Organ
Anwick, St Edith, Organ
Anwick, St Edith, Organ

Maker's plate states

"Henry Willis

London" 

http://www.willis-organs.com/history.htm 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Willis_%26_Sons 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, organ, Henry Willis
Anwick, St Edith, porch
Anwick, St Edith, porch
Anwick, St Edith, porch

The principal entrance to the church is through the substantial south porch of the Decorated period.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, porch
Anwick, St Edith, Pulpit
Anwick, St Edith, Pulpit
Anwick, St Edith, Pulpit

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The fumed oak pulpit was presented in 1912 in memory of the Rev. A. H. Staffurth M.A. vicar 1906-10"

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, pulpit
Anwick, St Edith, Royal Arms
Anwick, St Edith, Royal Arms
Anwick, St Edith, Royal Arms

Sited in the tower. Shows the Royal Arms of 1707-14.

Mark Acton, 2018

Anwick, Royal Arms
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states:-

"The church- of St. Edith is a low building of stone, in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, a large south porch and a western tower, with pinnacles and broach spire, containing 3 bells:

in many of the windows are fragments of stained glass:

the chancel was rebuilt in 1900:

the south aisle was restored in 1915 and a new oak roof built:

the nave was reroofed in 1916:

the south aisle is now used as a side chapel:

the west tower is of three stages with double buttresses at the angles, terminating in crocketed weatherings:

the spire which is octagonal,has three tiers of louvre lights :

on Feb. 8, 1906, it was struck by lightning, but has since been restored and the bells rehung:

during church restoration in 1859 a coloured group of the Virgin and Child and three small shafts of Late Norman work were discovered on opening a doorway which ,formerly led to the rood loft"

DB 21 December 2018 

Anwick, Saint Edith, South Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle

"sections of early C12 octagonal shafts, one with a scalloped capital, perhaps from the belfry lights of an earlier tower"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061829 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, shafts
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle, East Window, War Memorial
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle, East Window, War Memorial
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle, East Window, War Memorial

Second World War memorial window.

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, stained glass, war memorial
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle, Font
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle, Font
Anwick, St Edith, South Aisle, Font

"Plain C14 octagonal font with double chamfered plinth to roll moulded octagonal stem"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061829 

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, Font
Anwick, St Edith, south door
Anwick, St Edith, south door
Anwick, St Edith, south door

The south doorway is framed by fine mouldings.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, south door
Anwick, St Edith, Stained Glass
Anwick, St Edith, Stained Glass
Anwick, St Edith, Stained Glass

Glass in the east window of the north aisle bears the dates AD 1150 - 1950.

DB 21 December 2018

Anwick, Saint Edith, stained glass
Anwick, St Edith, statue
Anwick, St Edith, statue
Anwick, St Edith, statue

During church restoration in 1859 a coloured group of the Virgin and Child was discovered. It is now mounted on the wall in the south aisle.

April 2018

Anwick, St Edith, statue
Anwick, St Edith, War Memorial
Anwick, St Edith, War Memorial
Anwick, St Edith, War Memorial

Memorial to the men of Anwick who served during the First World War. At present leaning against the back of a pew.

Mark Acton, 2018

Anwick, First World War Memorial
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 it is stated that :-

"A dwelling house was licensed for worship in 1804 and the first chapel built in 1843.

It was replaced in 1886 and is now a bungalow in Chapel Lane.

The stone laying for the second chapel, in Main Road, occurred on the 10.10.1885.

The chapel is still in use, with a membership of 6, but expected to close in 1996"

DB 25 January 2020

Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Detail of the chapel notice board.

DB 25 January 2020

Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"WESLEYAN CHAPEL 1885"

DB 25 January 2020

Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Former chapel viewed from the rear.

Kelly's Directory 1905 has an entry "Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1885 at a cost of about £450, and seating 120".

DB 2020

Anwick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Haverholme Priory
Haverholme Priory
Haverholme Priory

The house of 1835 was built for the Earl of Winchelsea by H E Kendall. It is viewed here from the north-west.

Little remains today.

undated postcard

Anwick, Haverholme Priory, Earl of Winchelsea, H E Kendall
Haverholme Priory
Haverholme Priory
Haverholme Priory

There was a Gilbertine priory founded in 1139 on this site.

In the 1780s a Gothic house was built here to be followed by this house of 1835 in Tudor style.

View from the south-west.

postcard dated 1918

Anwick, Haverholme Priory