This house dates
from the late 17th century. It is L-shaped with pairs of moulded chimneystacks
on the gable ends.
with gables and finials, is contemporary with the house.
Hugh D Martineau, c.1980
Externally, the chancel, nave and porch of St Martin’s are largely late 13th century - much restored in the 19th century. However, the inner doorway of the porch and the north arcade inside are Norman.
The tower of St Martin’s was rebuilt in 1648 and heightened in 1855. On the west face, just below the date, is the inscription:
‘Was ever such a thing since the creation. A new steeple built in the time of vexation’
The north arcade with its sturdy piers, round arches and zig-zag decoration dates from the mid 12th century.
The scalloped, square capital with chevron decoration above, is typical Norman work.
This is the head of one of the piers in the north arcade.
The sides of the early 13th century font are decorated with a variety of motifs – flowers, circles and zig-zags.
This small blocked doorway, just to the right of the porch, dates from the 11th century.