Kelly's Directory 1919 states :-
"Here was once a Premonstratensian abbey, founded in 1154 by R. de Haya, and dedicated to St. Mary:
the church of the monastery was 300 feet in length, and a column, supposed to belong to the tower, together with an arcading pierced with windows, and some other portions, still remain :
Makerel, the last prior, was hanged in consequence of his participation in the insurrection called the "Pilgrimage of Grace," 1536-7:
at the dissolution of the abbey there were 14 canons, and revenue estimated at £242"
DB 30 March 2021