Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Billingborough
 
Billingborough Hall
Billingborough Hall
Billingborough Hall

Billingborough Hall was built by William Toller between 1611 and 1620 and later enlarged by his son Richard.

It is said that some of the stone used in its construction came from nearby Sempringham Abbey.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Billingborough, Hall, William Toller, Sempringham Abbey
Billingborough, Billingborough and Horbling railway station
Billingborough, Billingborough and Horbling railway station
Billingborough, Billingborough and Horbling railway station

The site of Billingborough and Horbling railway station now occupied by Grimers Transport Ltd.

"Billingborough and Horbling railway station was a station serving the villages of Billingborough, Horbling and Threekingham, Lincolnshire on the Great Northern Railway Bourne and Sleaford railway.

It opened in 1872 and closed to passengers in 1930. The section from Bourne to Billingborough remained open for goods until 1964"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billingboro_and_Horbling_railway_station 

Platform edge just visible at the bottom of this image. 

DB 6 July 2014

Billingborough and Horbling railway station
Billingborough, Birthorpe Manor
Billingborough, Birthorpe Manor
Billingborough, Birthorpe Manor

The earliest parts of this U-shaped house date from the mid C17; substantial additions and alterations were made in the mid C18 and late C19.

It is constructed of coursed limestone rubble with limestone ashlar. The roofs have plain tiles with stone coped gables.

H D Martineau c.1980

Billingborough, Birthorpe Manor
Billingborough, Crown Hotel
Billingborough, Crown Hotel
Billingborough, Crown Hotel

Former Crown Hotel now used for residential purposes.

Listed in Kelly's Directory 1919 "Chapman Joseph Edward, Crown hotel, High street"

Also in White's Directory 1856 "Hunt Samuel, vict. Crown"

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Crown Hotel, public house
Billingborough, Fortescue Arms
Billingborough, Fortescue Arms
Billingborough, Fortescue Arms

"2 houses with single storey range to south, now public house. Early C18, early C19, 1855, C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360118 

Listed in Kelly's Directory 1919 "Handley Lizzie (Mrs.), Fortescue Arms hotel, High street"

Billingborough had five public houses listed in White's Directory 1856:-

Barrand Wm. vict. New Inn

Hunt Samuel, vict. Crown

Jackson Sarah, vic.George & Dragon

Mansfield John, regr. & vict. Grapes

Smith Eliz. vict. Fortescue Arms 

There were also two beer houses.

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Fortescue Arms, Public House
Billingborough, Fortescue Arms, Public House
Billingborough, Fortescue Arms, Public House
Billingborough, Fortescue Arms, Public House

Tribute to Victoria & Albert.

Earl Fortescue was lord of the manor, but the Crown purchased his estate 1855. 

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Fortescue Arms, Public House
Billingborough, Harrison Corn Merchant
Billingborough, Harrison Corn Merchant
Billingborough, Harrison Corn Merchant

Listed in Kelly's Directory 1919 "Harrison Henry Christopher, miller (steam), High street. T N 5"

Now residential accomodation. 

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Harrison Corn Merchant
Billingborough, High Street
Billingborough, High Street
Billingborough, High Street

Two listed properties

To the left No. 48 "House. Early C19, C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062763 

To the right J. Houghton and Sons, Bakers "House with shop, now bakers. Early C19, later C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164879 

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, High Street
Billingborough, School
Billingborough, School
Billingborough, School

The entry in Kelly's Directory 1919 reads "Council (mixed), built in 1876, at a cost of about £2,700 for 400 children ; average attendance, 141 ; Henry Judson, master; Mrs. Martha Judson, infants' mist. Correspondent to Managers, C. J. Hodgkinson"

Now Billingborough Primary School.

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, School
Billingborough, Spring Wells
Billingborough, Spring Wells
Billingborough, Spring Wells

Local signage states "The Spring Wells are natural artesian springs and if you look closely you will see the water bubbling up from the rocks deep below.

The springs are fed by the Lincolnshire Limestone Aquifer, with rain falling on the uplands near Grantham flowing downwards and eastwards along the dipping limestone strata and being forced up under pressure here.

The water is slightly warm and seldom freezes.

The water no doubt attracted early settlers and there is evidence of Iron Age and Roman settlement nearby. 

The water is "chalybeate", meaning it contains iron salts, and as such would have been highly valued by the Victorians for health giving.

The cisterns where the Victorians drew their water by hand can still be seen on either side. 

The springs have only dried up twice in living memory in 1976 and in the drought of 2011 when the water did not reappear for 6 months" 

DB 6 July 2014

Billingborough, Spring Wells
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew

The 150 foot high spire is Decorated as is the nave with the exception of the Perpendicular clerestory.

Mark Acton, 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew

The chancel of St Andrew's dates from 1889-90, rebuilt by W Bassett Smith.

October 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew, W Bassett Smith
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew

The south aisle of the church dates from the early fourteenth century.

Two of the windows in the aisle are in fine Decorated style.

October 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew church
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew

Kelly's Directory 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Andrew is an edifice of stone in the Early English, Early and Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with lofty clerestory, aisles, south porch and at the north-west angle a tower with pinnacles and spire 150 feet high, containing a clock and 6 bells, including a new one added in 1914:

traces of the original Early English church remain in the south aisle, but this aisle and its porch date chiefly from about 1312:

the chancel has been wholly rebuilt ; the rest of the church, with the exception of the Perpendicular clerestory, is Late Decomted style, including the tower and spire ; there are three tiers of louvre spire lights; the east end of the south aisle retains a piscina and locker:

in the east window of the south aisle are the arms of Eleanor, daughter of Henry (Plantagenet), 3rd Earl of Lancaster, and those of John, 2nd baron Beaumont, her husband, and of the Marmion family:

in I870 a new roof was placed over the nave; in 1887 the church was re-seated in oak, a carved pulpit erected and the aisles repaved; the chancel was rebuilt in 1891 ; in 1892 the east window was erected to the memory of H.R.H. the late Duke of Clarence. who died Jan. 14 in that year:

the reredos was provided in 1894 and sides added in 1913 ; the west window was filled with stained glass in 1912 by Lieut.-Col. Albert De Burton; two stained glass windows have been inserted, one in the south aisle to the memory of Dr. Blasson and one in the chancel to the memory of Lieut. C. R. Winckley, son of the vicar, killed in action:

there are 375 sittings"

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Saint Andrew church image
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew
Billingborough, St Andrew

White's Directory 1872 states "The Church (St. Andrew), which is a handsome stone building, consists of nave, with clerestory, north and south aisles, chancel, a south porch of geometrical character, and a lofty tower and spire, at the end of the north aisle, rising to a height of 150 feet.

The tower contains five bells and a clock.

In the south aisle may be seen some traces of the early original church.

The nave was re-roofed and the entire building restored in 1864-5, at an expense of £700"

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Saint Andrew church image
Billingborough, St Andrew, boot scraper
Billingborough, St Andrew, boot scraper
Billingborough, St Andrew, boot scraper

A sturdy boot scraper in wrought iron - probably locally made - with attractive decoation.

October 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew boot scraper
Billingborough, St Andrew, Churchyard Garden of Remembrance
Billingborough, St Andrew, Churchyard Garden of Remembrance
Billingborough, St Andrew, Churchyard Garden of Remembrance

A garden of remembrance has been created next to the south porch.

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Saint Andrew Churchyard Garden of Remembrance
Billingborough, St Andrew, grave marker
Billingborough, St Andrew, grave marker
Billingborough, St Andrew, grave marker

This grave stone or marker, in slate and mounted on the south wall, is for Richard Smith (d.1809, aged 68) and his wife Rebekah (d.1779, aged 39).

October 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew, Grave marker, Richard Rebekah Smith
Billingborough, St Andrew, interior
Billingborough, St Andrew, interior
Billingborough, St Andrew, interior

View looking west. The large west window of the Decorated period has four lights and reticulated tracery.

The south arcade has four bays - the north three - with double-chamfered arches.

October 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew interior
Billingborough, St Andrew, label stop
Billingborough, St Andrew, label stop
Billingborough, St Andrew, label stop

Billingborough, St Andrew label stop
Billingborough, St Andrew, Porch
Billingborough, St Andrew, Porch
Billingborough, St Andrew, Porch

"C14 gabled porch with angle buttresses and single 2 light mullion windows in east and west sides"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317596 

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Saint Andrew church image, porch
Billingborough, St Andrew, Porch
Billingborough, St Andrew, Porch
Billingborough, St Andrew, Porch

"Porch interior with flanking stone benches and early C14 south doorway with richly moulded head including filleted rolls, jambs with 2 filleted rolls and rich moulding in between, hood mould and double plank doors. Small rectangular niche above. Tie beam porch roof including beam inscribed 1679 THST"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317596 

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Saint Andrew church image
Billingborough, St Andrew, stained glass
Billingborough, St Andrew, stained glass
Billingborough, St Andrew, stained glass

Window in the south aisle with the following dedication:

To the Glory of God in memory of GLADYS HELEN BLASSON 1888-1979 / Benefactress of the church, who lived, worked and worshipped here / Also in memory of her parents and grandparents

October 2017

Billingborough, St Andrew, stained glass window, Gladys Helen Blasson
Billingborough, St Andrew, War Memorial
Billingborough, St Andrew, War Memorial
Billingborough, St Andrew, War Memorial

First World War memorial to the fallen of the village.

Mark Acton, 2017

Billingborough, First World War
Billingborough, Street Scene
Billingborough, Street Scene
Billingborough, Street Scene
undated postcard
Billingborough, street scene
Billingborough, Street Scene
Billingborough, Street Scene
Billingborough, Street Scene

Billingborough lies between Sleaford and Bourne. It has a population of some 1400.

Its parish church is largely in the Decorated style with a late nineteenth-century chancel.

The Fortescue Arms dates back several centuries.

undated postcard

Billingborough, street scene
Billingborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Billingborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Billingborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Former chapel in Chapel Street now a private residence. 

Colin Shepherdson in A Brief History of the Bourne Circuit states that

"The Society was formed in 1802 and the first chapel built in Chapel Street in 1829, and enlarged in 1858.

It was replaced by High Street chapel in 1906 but not sold until 1929 and is now converted into a dwelling house"

High Street chapel was demolished in June 1995

DB 7 November 2020 

Billingborough, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel