Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Bonby
 
Bonby, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodist chapel on Main Street was built in 1840 and a Sunday School added in 1857.

The chapel closed around the time of the Second World War and has been converted and extended for use as the village hall.

July 2020
Bonby, Primitive Methodist Chapel, Village Hall
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew

The tower of St Andrew's is built in red brick laid in Flemish bond on a limestone base.

The original round-headed doorway on the south side of the twelfth century nave has been blocked.

April 2018

Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew

The chancel dates from the eighteenth century. The windows were replaced as part of the restoration by C H Fowler in 1894.

April 2018

Bonby, St Andrew, chancel, C H Fowler
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew

St Andrew’s, Bonby, has an eighteenth-century brick tower and a chancel of the same material.

The nave, Norman in origin, is partly constructed in chalk.

The thirteenth-century north arcade has gone though evidence for it remains.

Mark Acton, 2015

Bonby, St Andrew church, chalk
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew

The tower of St Andrew's church dates from the eighteenth century. The pyramidal roof is pantiled.

Jews' Court collection, 1977

Bonby, St Andrew
Bonby, St Andrew, interior
Bonby, St Andrew, interior
Bonby, St Andrew, interior

The interior of St Andrew’s in Bonby showing part of the filled-in 13th century north arcade.

The arcade had four bays with both octagonal and circular piers and double chamfered arches.

Mark Acton, 2015

Bonby, St Andrew church
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The chapel, in Main Street, was erected by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1813 and is a Grade II listed building.

Services were last held here in 2002 and it stands in derelict condition today. The faded noticeboard alongside the entrance still advertises service times and contact details for the circuit minister.

April 2018

Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Date plaque - in fine lettering of the period - above the entrance to the chapel.

April 2018

Bonby, Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Barton-On-Humber Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson September 1997 (Revised May 1998) states :-

"Erected in 1813, Main Street chapel is a Grade II listed building and is still in use with a membership of 5" 

Unfortunately the chapel was subsequently closed in 2002.

Geoff Swain Collection 18 October 1993

Bonby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church