Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Brumby
 
Brumby Hall
Brumby Hall
Brumby Hall

Brumby Hall on Ashby Road, Scunthorpe, was built in the seventeenth century and extended in the late eighteenth.

It now houses a sports and social club.

T R Leach Collection, 1962

Brumby, Brumby Hall
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. 

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Scunthorpe Circuit Past And Present” prepared By Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn G White March 1997 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"i) The chapel was erected in 1834 in what is now called Old Brumby Street. It was replaced by Ashby Road chapel in 1929 and the old chapel demolished. The site is now occupied by housing.

ii) The foundation stone for the second chapel, in Ashby Road, was laid on the 28.2.1929 and the chapel opened on the 19.9.1929.

An old army hut was used as a schoolroom until a new Sunday school was built, the foundation stone having being laid on the 15.2.1953 and opened on the 7.11.1953.

The complex was demolished and replaced on the same site by the new St Marks Church which was opened on the 24.5.1962.

The church is still in use with a membership of 151"

Now a local ecumenical partnership joining St. Andrew's United Reformed Church with St. Mark's Methodist Church.

DB 27 March 2019

Old Brumby United Church, St Mark, Wesleyan Methodist, Chapel
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church

Rotary Festival of Christmas Trees in progress - around 80 decorated Christmas trees on display in an event raising money for charity.

DB 15 December 2019

Old Brumby United Church, St Mark, Wesleyan Methodist, Chapel
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church

Stained glass in the main east facing window.

DB 15 December 2019

Old Brumby United Church, St Mark, Wesleyan Methodist, Chapel, stained glass
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church

"To the Glory of God and in Sacred Memory of the undermentioned Members of this Curch and Congregation who gave their lives in the Cause of Freedom during the Great War, 1914 - 1919" 

DB 15 December 2019

Old Brumby United Church, St Mark, Wesleyan Methodist, Chapel, war memorial
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church

"Everett Jackson Memorial Organ Erected 1925"

DB 15 December 2019

Old Brumby United Church, St Mark, Methodist, organ
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church
Brumby, Old Brumby United Church

Church Hall recently in use for the 2019 General Election.

DB 15 December 2019

Old Brumby United Church, St Mark, Wesleyan Methodist, Chapel, General Election, polling station
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh

The church of St Hugh in Brumby was completed in 1939 to the design of Lawrence Bond.

Consisting of concrete and brick, its detail was described by Pevsner as ‘playful’ though he was less keen on the four-pillared portico.

Mark Acton, April 2015

Brumby, St Hugh church, Lawrence Bond
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh

The portico of the church has four are plain untapered concrete pillars with square cross-section.

April 2015

Brumby, St Hugh church, portico
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh

The gambrel shape of the roof is apparent in this view of St Hugh's from the south-east.

April 2015 

Brumby, St Hugh church, gambrel
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh
Brumby, St Hugh

The top section of the bell tower midway along the south side of the church has a tapered shape, similar in line to the roof.

April 2015

Brumby, St Hugh church