Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Coleby (Kesteven)
 
Coleby, All Saints
Coleby, All Saints
Coleby, All Saints

Coleby All Saints’ has a Saxon and Norman tower with a crocketed Perpendicular spire.

The interior has Norman and Early English arcades and an Early English chancel.

The south doorway and the font are fine examples of Norman work.

June 2012

Coleby, All Saints, Ketseven, spire, Saxon tower
Coleby, All Saints
Coleby, All Saints
Coleby, All Saints

"Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15 and C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

War memorial in the foreground. 

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image
Coleby, All Saints
Coleby, All Saints
Coleby, All Saints

Church viewed from the north.

Kelly's Directory 1930 states "The church of All Saints is a small but handsome edifice of stone chiefly in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with portions of Norman and Transitional date, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, Modern vestry, and an embattled western tower with eight crocketed pinnacles, from within which rises a ribbed and crocketed spire, relieved by two tiers of louvre lights the tower contains 5 bells and a clock, and its lower stage is of very early date and may possibly be Saxon:

the south doorway, with two orders of enriched, arched mouldings, and the font are Norman the latter considered to be the finest in Lincolnshire, is a cylinder, surrounded by an intersecting arcade and stands on a square base, with a shaft at each angle:

the nave was furnished with open oak sittings and other repairs, principally at the expense of the late Charles Mainwaring esq. :

further improvements, including a restoration of the chancel, were carried out in 1864, under the direction of F. C. Penrose esq. architect, mainly as a memorial to the Rev. T. T. Penrose, for 33 years vicar of the parish, and the circumstances of this restoration are set forth in an inscription on brass from the pen of the late Right Hon. Sir J. T. Coleridge kt. chief justice of the Queen's Bench:

there are 200 sittings:

in the churchyard is a monument, surmounted by a cross, erected by the parishioners as a memorial to the men of Coleby who fell in the Great War, 1914-18"

DB 1 December 2020

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel

"The chancel itself is C13, originally with a C13 north transept chapel and a C14 south one, but only the arches to these survive.

The piscina is C13, and so is the double sedilia though the hoodmoulds were renewed in the C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, chancel
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel

Looking back past the organ and through the chancel arch and towards the tower arch.

"Internally the tower arch is C11 but with a C15 arch fitted in to strengthen it"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

Royal Arms above the tower arch. 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Monument
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Monument
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Monument

Monument to Mary Lister d.1734.

Coleby Hall was built by the Listers in 1628. Kelly's Directory 1919 states "The Listers of Coleby filled the office of High Sheriff of Lincolnshire in the years 1624, 1625, 1644, 1669 and 1696, and Thomas Lister was in 1651 and 1653 a member of Cromwell's Council of State"

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, Monument, Mary Lister
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Organ
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Organ
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Organ

J.Halmshaw & Sons, 1875.

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, J.Halmshaw & Sons
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Restoration
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Restoration
Coleby, All Saints, Chancel, Restoration

Brass plaque recording restoration of the chancel "SET IN ORDER ANEW AD 1864".

"Church restored carefully by F C Penrose in 1864"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

Kelly's Directory 1930 states " further improvements, including a restoration of the chancel, were carried out in 1864, under the direction of F. C. Penrose esq. architect, mainly as a memorial to the Rev. T. T. Penrose, for 33 years vicar of the parish, and the circumstances of this restoration are set forth in an inscription on brass from the pen of the late Right Hon. Sir J. T. Coleridge kt. chief justice of the Queen's Bench"

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image
Coleby, All Saints, Churchyard
Coleby, All Saints, Churchyard
Coleby, All Saints, Churchyard

Churchyard gateway to the south celebrates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

DB 1 December 2020

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, churchyard gates, queen victoria diamond jubilee
Coleby, All Saints, Nave
Coleby, All Saints, Nave
Coleby, All Saints, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel.

"The chancel arch is pointed but with the late Norman square abacus"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

C19 script above the chancel arch. 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image
Coleby, All Saints, Nave
Coleby, All Saints, Nave
Coleby, All Saints, Nave

Looking across the nave and into north aisle. 

Norman north arcade "2 bays, round-arched with a sturdy pier with scalloped capital and square abacus, billet in the hood-mould"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image
Coleby, All Saints, Nave, Poppy Head
Coleby, All Saints, Nave, Poppy Head
Coleby, All Saints, Nave, Poppy Head

"The pews were fitted in the C19, they were brought from Hackthorn Church, they have fine carved poppy heads"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, Poppy Head
Coleby, All Saints, Nave, Royal Arms
Coleby, All Saints, Nave, Royal Arms
Coleby, All Saints, Nave, Royal Arms

"1801-1816 Arms of King George III of the United Kingdom.

Quarterly of 4: 1st & 4th: Plantagenet (England); 2nd: Stuart (Scotland); 3rd: Ireland overall an inescutcheon of the Elector of Hanover"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Coats_of_arms_of_King_George_III_of_the_United_Kingdom 

Restored 2008. 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Arms of King George III
Coleby, All Saints, North Aisle, Font
Coleby, All Saints, North Aisle, Font
Coleby, All Saints, North Aisle, Font

The drum shaped font is late Norman C11.

Metal basin dates from 1819 and was bought for 6s 6d. 

Font cover is modern 2009. 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Font
Coleby, All Saints, Overspill Graveyard
Coleby, All Saints, Overspill Graveyard
Coleby, All Saints, Overspill Graveyard

Overspill graveyard immediately to the north of the churchyard.

The Church Guide states that "Victorian arch to the north in the overspill graveyard was moved from the Methodist chapel when it was deconsecrated.

There is now a third graveyard to the west of the village off the cliff edge" 

Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee was in 1897. 

DB 1 December 2020

Coleby,
Coleby, All Saints, Porch
Coleby, All Saints, Porch
Coleby, All Saints, Porch

"The south aisle is also C13, with an originally 2-storey porch to the west"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, porch
Coleby, All Saints, Porch
Coleby, All Saints, Porch
Coleby, All Saints, Porch

"Porch protects a very fine C11 doorway, with 2 orders of shafts, capitals with leaf decoration, outer arch with lozenge-chains and inner with a roll"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164829 

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, porch
Coleby, All Saints, Porch, Graffiti
Coleby, All Saints, Porch, Graffiti
Coleby, All Saints, Porch, Graffiti

Graffiti on the stone bench inside the porch. The outline of shoes seems to be a common motif at numbers of different churches.

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, porch, graffiti
Coleby, All Saints, South Aisle, Bier
Coleby, All Saints, South Aisle, Bier
Coleby, All Saints, South Aisle, Bier

Bier positioned in the south aisle. Nowadays acting as a stand for church literature.

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, bier
Coleby, All Saints, South Aisle, Pulpit
Coleby, All Saints, South Aisle, Pulpit
Coleby, All Saints, South Aisle, Pulpit

Pulpit largely in the south aisle though it faces into the nave.

DB 9 May 2018 

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Image, pulpit
Coleby, All Saints, Vestry
Coleby, All Saints, Vestry
Coleby, All Saints, Vestry

Small C19 vestry on the north side of the chancel. 

DB 26 November 2020

Coleby, Kesteven, Church, All Saints, Vestry
Coleby, All Saints, War Memorial
Coleby, All Saints, War Memorial
Coleby, All Saints, War Memorial

"TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE DEAR MEMORY OF THE MEN OF COLEBY WHO DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919"

Dedicated 8th May 1920. 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, War memorial
Coleby, Archway (East Gate to Coleby Hall)
Coleby, Archway (East Gate to Coleby Hall)
Coleby, Archway (East Gate to Coleby Hall)

"Gateway. Late C18. Rough-cut stone. Semi-circular arched gateway, with heavy central keystone.

Built in imitation of a ruined Roman arch based on the Lincoln Newport Arch, for Thomas Scrope with advice from Sir William Chambers circa 1780"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061980 

Lodge partially visible to the left of the arch. 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby Hall, Archway East Gate, Thomas Scrope, Sir William Chambers
Coleby, Bell Inn
Coleby, Bell Inn
Coleby, Bell Inn

"The  Bell Inn was also first opened as a beershop around the middle of the 19th century and occupied just one small cottage at the western end of its present premises.

The Bell also went on to obtain a full licence and, during the twentieth century, extended into two adjoining cottages"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Coleby/section.asp?docId=57824

Renamed "The Bell at Coleby" in 2011.

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Bell Inn, The Bell at Coleby, beershop
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall

Coleby Hall was built for Sir William Lister in 1628 and was enlarged by Thomas Scrope in the following century.

Early 20th century photograph

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Coleby, Hall, Sir William Lister, Thomas Scrope
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall

A second photograph of the Hall, taken from the same position but at a later date.

T R Leach Collection, undated postcard

Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall

Viewed from Coleby Low Fields. 

"Coleby Hall is a Grade II* listed country house which stands near the church in a park of around 50 acres (0.2 km2).

It is a gabled house constructed in coursed rubble and ashlar with a red-tiled ridge roof, built in 1628 for Sir William Lister of Rippingale, the father of Thomas Lister.

The hall descended via Thomas Lister, MP, who extended the hall and then to his great niece Frances Lister in 1734, who had married Thomas Scrope.

Thomas altered and further extended the hall and in 1762 built in the grounds a folly of a Temple to Romulus and Remus (now grade I listed) and a gateway to the Hall as an imitation ruined Roman arch based on Newport Arch in Lincoln.

Ownership passed to the Tempest family in 1856 who made major alterations to the hall and estate before selling it on.

It was later bought by the Fowkes family, and apart from being requisitioned by the military during the Second World War, remained in their possession until 1981, when it was sold to property developers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleby,_North_Kesteven 

DB 15 November 2020

Coleby Hall, William Lister, Thomas Scrope, Tempest, Fowkes
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall
Coleby, Coleby Hall

Another view of Coleby Hall from Coleby Low Fields this time showing late C18 coach house to the left.

White's Directory 1856 states "Sir Charles Robert Tempest, Bart., is lord of the manor, and owner of a greater part of the soil, and of Coleby Hall, a large mansion occupied by George Bland, Esq., surrounded by flourishing plantations, and having in its pleasure grounds a Doric Temple, erected to the memory of the great Earl of Chatham; and another on the model of the temple of Romulus and Remus, at Rome, by Sir William Chambers, and said to be his chef de'ouvre.

The house has received several modern additions, and commands extensive prospects" 

DB 1 December 2020

Coleby Hall, coach house
Coleby, Hall Farm
Coleby, Hall Farm
Coleby, Hall Farm

From the Coleby Parish Character Assessment May 2017 :-

"A collection of farm buildings, yard and farmhouse with some historical significance.

The farm building slate roofs, mostly gabled but including a pyramid roof had recently been repaired at the time of writing.

Similarly the farm manager's house (of red brick with a complex gabled roof of slate and traditional vertical sash windows) had recently been refurbished"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Files/Parish/98/NP_Coleby_Character_Assesment1.pdf 

DB 16 April 1918

Coleby, Hall Farm
Coleby, Ivy House
Coleby, Ivy House
Coleby, Ivy House

"House. Early C19 with mid C19 alterations ... Good fleur-de-lys railings and gate"

http://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1164872 

The Coleby Parish Character Assessment May 2017 reads :-

"Georgian farmhouse with hipped slate tiled roof and traditional sash windows and gable end chimneys is Grade II listed.

There are farm buildings and a large 20th century stone built bungalow with red pantile roof to the rear and facing down the cliff edge"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Files/Parish/98/NP_Coleby_Character_Assesment1.pdf 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Ivy House, Farmhouse
Coleby, Methodist Church
Coleby, Methodist Church
Coleby, Methodist Church

The former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Blind Lane was built in 1903 on the site of previous chapel, built in 1835, which burnt down.

The last service was held here in 1997 and it has since been converted into a dwelling.

April 2017

Coleby, Wesleyan Methodist Church
Coleby, Methodist Church, Memorials
Coleby, Methodist Church, Memorials
Coleby, Methodist Church, Memorials

These memorials were transferred to All Saints Church following closure of the Methodist Chapel in June 1997.

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Memorials, Church, Methodist Chapel
Coleby, Old Rectory
Coleby, Old Rectory
Coleby, Old Rectory

"Vicarage. Early C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061982 

White's Directory 1856 states "The Provost and Fellows of Oriel College, Oxford, are appropriators of the rectory, and patrons of the vicarage, which is valued in K.B. at £6. 12s. 1d., and now at £126, in the incumbency of the Rev. T. T. Penrose, M.A. ... 

The Vicarage has been augmented with £400 royal bounty and private benefactions, which was laid out in the purchase of 40 acres of land at Billinghay.

At the enclosure, in 1760, a yearly rent-charge of £60 was awarded to the vicar, and £9 to the appropriators; also, allotments of 14A. 2P. to the former, and 9A. 3R. 36P. to the latter.

The Vicarage House is a neat stone building"

Also "Penrose Rev Thos. Trevenen, M.A., vicar of Coleby, rector of Weston, Notts., & prebendary of Bedford Minor, Vicarage"

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Rectory, Vicarage
Coleby, Primary School
Coleby, Primary School
Coleby, Primary School

The teaching and administative accommodation of Coleby Primary School now incorporates the two-storey former schoolhouse. An extension to the rear of the house was added in the early 21st century.

July 2018

Coleby, school
Coleby, Primary School
Coleby, Primary School
Coleby, Primary School

The school on Rectory Lane was built as a Parochial School in 1854 and later enlarged (to the left in the photo), as can be seen from the change in brick colour.

July 2018

Coleby, school
Coleby, RAF Coleby Grange, Air Traffic Control Tower
Coleby, RAF Coleby Grange, Air Traffic Control Tower
Coleby, RAF Coleby Grange, Air Traffic Control Tower

Viewed from A15 Sleaford Road. 

"Opened in 1939 and operated as a fighter and night fighter airfield during World War II, occupied at various times by UK, US, Canadian and Polish fighter squadrons, the station briefly switched to a training role post-war before being placed on a care and maintenance basis.

Reopened in 1959 as an RAF Bomber Command Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) launch facility and placed on a high DEFCON 2 launch alert during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the station was finally closed and decommissioned in 1963.

The site has been returned to agricultural use and now has little evidence of its former use, other than several lengths of perimeter track and the original air traffic control tower"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Coleby_Grange 

DB 7 May 2019

Coleby, RAF Coleby Grange, Air Traffic Control Tower
Coleby, Tempest Arms
Coleby, Tempest Arms
Coleby, Tempest Arms

"The first licensee of the Tempest Arms was farmer Samuel Auckland who opened up a beershop around 1840 and brewed his own beer on the premises.

Originally known as ‘The Board’, the beerhouse eventually became a licensed inn called ‘The Brewers Arms’.

However, in 1888, it was renamed ‘The Tempest Arms’ in deference to the Tempest family, owners of the Coleby Estate"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Coleby/section.asp?docId=57824 

White's Directory 1856 has "Auckland Saml. grocer & brewer" and Kelly's Directory 1919 & 1930 has "Humberston Wm. Tempest Arms P.H"

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Tempest Arms, Samuel Auckland, The Board, beerhouse, Brewers Arms
Coleby, Tempest Arms
Coleby, Tempest Arms
Coleby, Tempest Arms

Named in honour of the Tempest family owners of Coleby Hall.

DB 1 December 2020

Coleby, Tempest Arms, Samuel Auckland, The Board, beerhouse, Brewers Arms
Coleby, Time Capsule
Coleby, Time Capsule
Coleby, Time Capsule

Millennium time capsule next to the Tempest Arms car park.

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Time Capsule
Coleby, Water Standpost
Coleby, Water Standpost
Coleby, Water Standpost

Water standpost on Hill Rise.

Very similar standposts by Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd, Kilmarnock in Aubourn, Haddington, Navenby, Heighington, Wellingore and other local villages

DB 15 November 2020

Coleby, Water, Standpost, Standpipe, Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd
Coleby, Well Houses
Coleby, Well Houses
Coleby, Well Houses

"18th Century Well Houses

At the south end of Blind Lane stone wellhouses cover the two old parish wells, a reminder of a time when water had to be drawn up in a bucket and carried home.

In 1896 the older of the two wells (flat top) was closed because of its dangerous condition.

In the same year a pump was attached to the other well (coned top). In 1905 this well was deepened and it remained in continuous use until piped water was laid to standpipes in the village in 1932"

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Coleby/section.asp?docId=57823 

DB 9 May 2018

Coleby, Well House, water, pump, standpipes