Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Edlington
 
Edlington Hall
Edlington Hall
Edlington Hall

This drawing is one of the series made by Nattes for Sir Joseph Banks in the late eighteenth century.

It was owned by the Hassard Short family who held an estate of 2,700 acres in the area but preferred to live in the south of England.

The house was demolished in the 1840s.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 1', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Edlington, Hall, Nattes, Hassard Short family
Edlington, Hall
Edlington, Hall
Edlington, Hall
Pevsner states :-
 
"Edlington Hall, of which there is a view by Nattes of 1792, was burnt down early this century.
 
The present Hall, w of the church, is on a different site. Red brick additions of c. 1900 encase a house of c. 1840, of which the s front remains, with two gables with fretted bargeboards"

 
DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Hall
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

St Helenís has a tower arch that dates from circa 1100, and a 13th century arcade built into the north wall of the nave.

Much of the church, however, dates from the extensive restoration by James Fowler in 1860.

June 2013

Edlington, St Helen church, James Fowler
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

A view of St Helen's, Edlington, from the south-east.

Like many churches in this area of the county, it is built of greenstone (Spilsby Sandstone).

June 2013

Edlington, St Helen church, greenstone, Spilsby Sandstone
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Helen is a substantial building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells, rehung in 1902 at a cost of £130:

the arcade of a previously existing north aisle remains, and has been carefully restored:

there are brasses and a memorial window placed by the late John Hassard Short esq. (d. 1893) to his wife and eldest son:

the whole church, with the exception of the lower portion of the tower, was rebuilt in 1856-60, under the direction of the late Mr. James Fowler, architect:

in 1897 the south aisle was new roofed: the upper storeys of the tower were restored in 1899:

there are 120 sittings"

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Helen) is an ancient structure, which has undergone many repairs, and has a tower containing three bells.

The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 4s. 6d., and now at £263, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Smith Pollard. M.A., who has a good residence, built in 1855, and about 90 acres of glebe"

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen
Edlington, St Helen

Pevsner states :-

"Quite a big church; of greenstone. The earliest part is the tower arch, perhaps about 1100, see the mouldings of the imposts and the one-step arch. The rest of the tower is Perp, except the bell stage with plate tracery, which is Victorian. The church was extensively rebuilt in 1859-60 by James Fowler"

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel

Looking towards the C19 east window.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, chancel
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel, Memorial
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel, Memorial
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel, Memorial

Memorial to Ann Hassard and other family members.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Ann Hassard
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel, Window
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel, Window
Edlington, St Helen, Chancel, Window

Window on the south side of the sanctuary with attractive C19 stained glass.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, stained glass
Edlington, St Helen, Churchyard
Edlington, St Helen, Churchyard
Edlington, St Helen, Churchyard

Looking east across the churchyard with a carpet of snowdrops just visible under the trees in the far distance.

An annual Snowdrop Festival is held in February.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Churchyard
Edlington, St Helen, Font
Edlington, St Helen, Font
Edlington, St Helen, Font

"The square font, which was recut in C19, is decorated with blank round headed arches, and dated 1599"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063178 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Font
Edlington, St Helen, History Board
Edlington, St Helen, History Board
Edlington, St Helen, History Board

"THERE WAS A CHURCH ON THIS SITE BEFORE NORMAN CONQUEST. IT WAS ATTATCHED TO BARDNEY ABBEY AND SERVED BY A MONK FROM THERE.

THIS CHURCH HAS MENTION IN THE DOMESDAY BOOK 1086. KING WILLIAM POSSESSED 480 ACRES OF LAND WITH SOKEMEN, VILLEINS AND BORDARS.

THE TOWER ARCH IS ORIGINAL NORMAN, A FINE EXAMPLE WELL PRESERVED.

THE REGISTERS DATE FROM 1562.

IN 1770 A NORTH AISLE WAS DEMOLISHED AND THE ARCHES BUILT UP, AS IT WAS TOO DILAPIDATED TO REPAIR AND NOT REQUIRED BY THE EIGHT FAMILIES OF THE VILLAGE.

THE PRESENT BUILDING, IN EARLY ENGLISH, BUILT 1860 COSTING £1146.

THE TOWER WAS REPAIRED 1935. AND AGAIN IN 1951 ,WHEN THE ORGAN WAS MOVED, ALSO SOUTH PEWS, ELECTRICITY INSTALLED.

DURING THE YEARS 1964-76, RESTORATION WORK HAS BEEN COMPLETED: THE TOWER TOP PORTION AND ROOF REINFORCED AND RECONSTRUCTED. ALL THE STONEWORK MADE GOOD COSTING £3,500. TO MAKE IT SAFE FOR FUTURE YEARS. ALL ROOF SECTIONS HAVE BEEN REPAIRED BELFRY WINDOWS WIRED OVER, FLOOR REPAIRED. INTERIOR WALL PLASTER REPAIRED, WALLS PAINTED, FLOORS REPAIRED. WINDOW PARTS RENEWED.

DONATIONS HAVE PROVIDED FOR NEW CURTAINS, CARPETS, LINEN , HEATERS, ORGAN 0VERHAUL , HASSOCKS, BOOKS ETC, CHURCHYARD CLEARED AND IMPROVED BY FREQUENT CUTTING FENCE PAINTED. TREES. SHRUBS, FLOWERS SET 1974 ..." 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church
Edlington, St Helen, Nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave

Looking east towards the C19 chancel arch.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church
Edlington, St Helen, Nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave

Looking west towards the Norman tower arch.

Pevsner states :-

"Three-bay arcades, partly original, C13. The n aisle has gone, but the arcade can be seen. Octagonal piers. Double-chamfered arches. Little of the s arcade is original"

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave

"The blocked C13 north arcade is visible externally with reset late C13 aisle windows in the blocking, one with intersecting tracery and 2 with quatrefoils"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063178 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, nave
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Pulpit
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Pulpit
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Pulpit

C19 pulpit.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, pulpit
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, War Memorial
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, War Memorial
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, War Memorial

"TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN EVERLASTING REMEMBRANCE OF THE MEN OF THE PARISH OF EDLINGTON WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR OF 1914-1918"

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, war memorial
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Window
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Window
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Window

Window reset from the former north aisle which was demolished in 1770.

C19 stained glass "TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOHN HASSARD SHORT ESQUIRE WHO DIED DECR 4TH 1893. THIS WINDOW IS ERECTED BY HIS DAUGHTER MARIAN" 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, stained glass
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Window
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Window
Edlington, St Helen, Nave, Window

Window reset from the former north aisle which was demolished in 1770.

C19 stained glass "TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN LOVING MEMORY OF MARGARET, WIFE OF JOHN HASSARD SHORT ESQ WHO DIED 2ND FEB 1881. ALSO OF AGNES MARGRETT, DAUGHTER OF THE ABOVE, DIED 17TH DECR 1867" 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, stained glass, window
Edlington, St Helen, Porch
Edlington, St Helen, Porch
Edlington, St Helen, Porch

"The gabled south porch has an outer deeply moulded C19 opening"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063178 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Porch
Edlington, St Helen, Snowdrops
Edlington, St Helen, Snowdrops
Edlington, St Helen, Snowdrops

An annual Snowdrop Festival is held at St Helen's church.

"After enjoying the carpet of snowdrops, visitors can step inside the church where there will be craft exhibitions, items for sale, a raffle and a tombola" 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Churchyard, snowdrop
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle

Looking east towards the Lady Chapel.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, south aisle
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Chests
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Chests
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Chests

"2 C17 chip carved chests in the south aisle, brought here from Wispington Church in 1974"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063178 

St Margaret's Church, Wispington was closed in 1974.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Wispington, Saint Margaret, chest
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Lady Chapel
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Lady Chapel
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Lady Chapel

A brass plaque transferred from St Margaret's Church, Wispington.

A notice states "CLOSED 1974. THE ALTAR AND BRASSES, SILVER, CHESTS AND TWO OAK CHAIRS BROUGHT HERE TO FORM CHAPEL DEDICATED TO OUR LADY BY ARCHDEACON of LINDSEY 22ND JUNE 1975" 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Wispington, Saint Margaret
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Lady Chapel
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Lady Chapel
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Lady Chapel

Lady Chapel at the east end of the south aisle - formed of furnishings brought here from St Margaret's Church, Wispington 

A notice referring to St Margaret's Church, Wispington states "CLOSED 1974. THE ALTAR AND BRASSES, SILVER, CHESTS AND TWO OAK CHAIRS BROUGHT HERE TO FORM CHAPEL DEDICATED TO OUR LADY BY ARCHDEACON of LINDSEY 22ND JUNE 1975" 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Lady Chapel
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Memorial
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Memorial
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Memorial

Memorial to Fitzhugh Hassard Short and John Hassard Short.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 reports that "John Hassard Short, Esq., is lord of the manor; but Poolam Hall, and many other farms, belong to various proprietors; and the governors of Oakham School are impropriators of the great tithes"

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Memorial, John Hassard Short
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Organ
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Organ
Edlington, St Helen, South Aisle, Organ

The Church History Boards states that the organ was moved to its current position in 1951 when electricity was also installed.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, organ
Edlington, St Helen, Tower
Edlington, St Helen, Tower
Edlington, St Helen, Tower

"The C16 3 stage tower has moulded plinth, angled buttresses and C19 belfry stage with battlemented parapet and west window of 3 lights with double concave moulded surround and 4 centred arch with moulded head.

To first stage are single rectangular lights and the belfry has paired lancets with angle shafts"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063178 

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Tower
Edlington, St Helen, Tower, West Window
Edlington, St Helen, Tower, West Window
Edlington, St Helen, Tower, West Window

Heraldic glass in the west window.

DB 6 February 2020

Edlington, Saint Helen, Church, Tower, window