Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Evedon
 
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary

St Mary’s has an attractive squat tower. The church interior retains its 13th century north arcade and chancel arch.

In the nave and chancel are some fine 17th and 18th century monuments.

October 2011

Evedon, St Mary church
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary

The unusual window in the west face of the tower has 'inappropriate' tracery in the view of Pevsner. It was inserted during restoration work in 1898.

June 2017

Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Mary is a small building of "Stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a low embattled tower with pinnacles and containing 3 bells, all cast in 1745 :

a Decorated chantry chapel formerly existed on the south side of the nave, of which the arch still-remains partly filled in with masonry:

in 1809 the aisle was pulled down, and its arcade of two bays built up, but in 1898 the arcade was reopened, and a narrow aisle formed, containing two small windows:

the font, probably given by Thomas Hardeby, is octangular and of Perpendicular date, and the panelled sides bear much worn shields of arms and sacred monograms:

the pulpit is ornamented with designs by the Viscountess Templetown:

there are brasses with effigies and inscription to Daniel Hardeby esq. c. 1600, his wife Anne and 13 children; and there is a brass shield with the arms of Hardeby impaling another coat:

there is also a mural monument to Sir Peregrine Bertie K.B. son of Robert, 1st Earl of Lindsey, and Anne (Hardeby) his wife, and a memorial window to the Rev. Edward Pollard, 37 years rector here:

the church was restored in 1898, chiefly at the cost of the Earl of Winchilsea and Mrs Hatton Wood, when it was refloored, new roofed and reseated with oak benches, and the west window, which had been partly built in, was reopened and restored:

in 1908 a new organ chamber was built at the expense of Mrs. Oswell, of London, daughter of a former rector, and a new organ was presented anonymously:

the church has now 70 sittings:

in the churchyard lies a medieval stone coffin"

DB 23 February 2019

Evedon, Saint Mary, Church
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Mary) is an ancient fabric, which was reduced in size in 1809, by taking down the north aisle.

It contains a fine brass, on which are engraved the effigies of Daniel Hardeby; his wife, and 13 children; and a mural monument of Sir Peregrine Bertie, third son of the Earl of Lindsey, whose widow married Lord Widdrington, of Blankney, whose son, the last baron, was attainted for high treason, in 1716 ; but his life was spared, though the title, created in 1643, has never been revived"

DB 23 February 2019

Evedon, Saint Mary, Church, Daniel Hardeby, Sir Peregrine Bertie
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary

"C19 east window of 3 lights, Y traceried with roll moulded ribs.

Reset C14 female head to gable which bears a cross"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168557 

C19 vestry projecting to the north again with a Y traceried window.

DB 23 February 2019

Evedon, Saint Mary, Church
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary
Evedon, St Mary

"C13 west tower of 2 stages"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168557 

DB 23 February 2019

Evedon, Saint Mary, Church
Evedon, St Mary, gravestones
Evedon, St Mary, gravestones
Evedon, St Mary, gravestones

Close to the south door at St Mary's church, Evedon, are a number of limestone tombs of the late 17th and early 18th century.

October 2011

Evedon, St Mary, tombs. limestone
Evedon, St Mary, gravestones
Evedon, St Mary, gravestones
Evedon, St Mary, gravestones

Another view of the fine collection of headstones at St Mary's church.

June 2017

Evedon, St Mary, Gravestones, headstones
Evedon, St Mary, Porch
Evedon, St Mary, Porch
Evedon, St Mary, Porch

"Gabled C19 south porch with setback buttresses, chamfered plinth, side benches and double chamfered rounded outer arch"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1168557 

DB 23 February 2019

Evedon, Saint Mary, Church, Porch
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower

In 1915 Sleaford Rural District Council built this water tower to serve the local area.

It became redundant in the 1960s and in 1989, with extensions built on either side.

It was converted into a dwelling, losing the tank in the process.

Neil Wright, 2001

Evedon, water,
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower
Evedon, Water Tower

In 1915 Sleaford Rural District Council built this water tower to serve the local area.

It became redundant in the 1960s and in 1989, with extensions built on either side.

It was converted into a dwelling, losing the tank in the process.

Neil Wright, 2001

Evedon, water,