Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Folkingham
 
Folkingham, House of Correction
Folkingham, House of Correction
Folkingham, House of Correction

The House of Correction in Folkingham was built in 1808 to serve the whole of Kesteven.

It was enlarged in 1825 and this grand and suitably severe gatehouse was added – the only part of the building that now survives.

It is now in the care of the Landmark Trust.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Folkingham,
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House

This relatively modest house was built in the 1660s and was built for Lord Clinton using stone from Folkingham Castle.

The Heathcote family became owners in the Victorian period.

More details about this house and its owners can be found in T R Leach's book, 'Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families: Part 2', published by SLHA.  Buy a copy.

Folkingham, Manor, Lord Clinton, Heathcote
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House
Folkingham, Manor House

This house with steeply hipped roof and a three storeyed porch was built for Lord Clinton in the Restoration period.

The windows have two lights with mullions and straight entablature.

The undercroft was once used for storing wool.

It is said that stone from Folkingham Castle was used in the cionsgtruction of this house.

H D Martineau, c.1980
Folkingham, Manor house, Lord Clinton
Folkingham, Market Place
Folkingham, Market Place
Folkingham, Market Place

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The town contains many neat houses, and commands extensive views. The market is held on Thursday, but is of trifling consequence. Here are five fairs for cattle and merchandise, on Ash Wednesday, Palm-Monday, May 12th and 13th, Thursday after old Michaelmas day, and Nov. 22nd"

DB 14 April 2012

Folkingham, Market Place
Folkingham, Market Place, Hansens Chocolate House
Folkingham, Market Place, Hansens Chocolate House
Folkingham, Market Place, Hansens Chocolate House

Former coaching inn now Hansens Chocolate House.

Giant 7ft tall Easter Egg! Used to help raise funds for St Barnabas Hospice

Building previously listed as The Whipping Post Public House.

DB 28 March 2015 

 

Folkingham, Hansens Chocolate House, easter egg, Whipping Post Public House
Folkingham, Market Place, House
Folkingham, Market Place, House
Folkingham, Market Place, House
Folkingham, House
Folkingham, Market Place, Old Reading Room
Folkingham, Market Place, Old Reading Room
Folkingham, Market Place, Old Reading Room

Old Reading Room viewed from the south.

"Formerly three cottages. Early C18, C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062748 

Tower of St Andrew's Church visible in the background. 

DB 23 June 2020 

Folkingham, Reading Room
Folkingham, Market Place, Quaintways Teashop
Folkingham, Market Place, Quaintways Teashop
Folkingham, Market Place, Quaintways Teashop

"House and shop, now restaurant. Late C18, early C19, mid C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062737 

DB 14 April 2012 

Folkingham, Quaintways Teashop
Folkingham, New Inn
Folkingham, New Inn
Folkingham, New Inn

"2 cottages, now public house. Late C18"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360114 

Not one of the inns or taverns recorded in White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 :-

"Five Bells, Thomas Barker

Green Man, Charles Stennett

Greyhound, Wm. Mullett, wine and spirit merchant

Red Lion, John Harmston, and wheelwright"

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, New Inn
Folkingham, Old School
Folkingham, Old School
Folkingham, Old School

The National School was built in 1875 for 130 pupils.

A free school was founded in the village in 1713 with endowments at Pidley (Hunts) and Pointon.

September 2013

Folkingham, National School
Folkingham, Rectory (New)
Folkingham, Rectory (New)
Folkingham, Rectory (New)

Modern rectory with St Andrew's church tower visible in the background.

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Rectory
Folkingham, Rectory (Old)
Folkingham, Rectory (Old)
Folkingham, Rectory (Old)

The Old Rectory c.1800.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317163 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1913 states "The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Laughton, joint net yearly value £245, in the gift of T. A. R. Heathcote esq. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Francis Valentine Heath M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge"

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Rectory (Old)
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

St Andrew's church is ashlar-faced except for the ironstone chancel.

This view from the south-east shows the Decorated tracery of the south aisle windows.

The chancel is late thriteenth century with geometrical tracery.  It was renewed by Kirk & Parry, Sleaford architects, in 1857.

September 2013

Folkingham, St Andrew church, Kirk & Parry
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

The fine Perpendicular tower at Folkingham is four-staged.

The porch is from the same period and has two storeys with battlements and pinnacles.

September 2013 

Folkingham, St Andrew church, tower, porch
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Andrew is a large building of stone, in the Late Transitional, Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with some remains of Norman work, and consists of chancel with modern vestry and organ chamber, nave, aisles, south porch with priests' chamber above, and an embattled western tower with 16 pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells:

the stained east window was erected by Mr. John Ward, to the memory of his family; the stained west window is a memorial to Brown and Susannah and Edward Morris, the last of whom died in 1859; there is also a memorial window, placed in 1883, by Miss Eliza Cookson, to her parents, and others to Rebecca, wife of William Banks Roberts, d. 1863, and to John Baily Grewcock esq. surgeon, d. 1889:

there is an ancient rood screen of dark oak, richly carved and in good preservation:

the doorway and some of the stairs to the rood loft also remain, and there are fine Decorated sedilia, three aumbries, and some Perpendicular bench ends:

on either side of the porch are the arms of Ranulph le Meschin, Earl of Chester, and of the Beaumont family:

in 1857 the fabric underwent extensive alterations and repairs by Messrs. Kirk and Parry, at an expense of £2,000, during the progress of which two richly carved and coloured niches of the Decorated period were discovered, and between them, carved in high relief, a lily in a vase; there were also found fragments of statues once standing in the niches, the robes of these figures being enriched with small squares of wax, stamped in relief and gilt; under the modern font portions of a richly carved font of the Late Transition period were met with; in 1859 further repairs were carried out by Mr. Edward Browning:

there are 308 sittings"

DB 23 June 2020 

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, Kirk and Parry, Edward Browning
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

White's Directory 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Andrew) is a large structure in the perpendicular style, with a handsome tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a rich battlement and eight pinnacles.

An elegant screen of Gothic fret-work separates the nave and chancel; and in the south wall of the latter are three stone stalls and a piscina.

This church was in the appropriation of Sempringham Abbey.

The organ was given in 1848, when three of the bells were recast.

The rectory was valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1835, at £572, with the vicarage of Laughton annexed to it.

Arthur Heatbcote, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. T. H. Rawnsley, of Halton Holegate, is the incumbent, and has yearly rent-charges of £481 from Falkingham, and £91. 5s. 6d. from Laughton"

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew
Folkingham, St Andrew

"Parish church. Late C12, late C13, early C14, c.1435, late C15, restored 1825, 1858 by Kirk and Parry, and in 1860 by Edward Browning"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, Kirk and Parry, Edward Browning
Folkingham, St Andrew, Bier
Folkingham, St Andrew, Bier
Folkingham, St Andrew, Bier

Church bier being used as a literature stand.

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, Bier
Folkingham, St Andrew, Chancel
Folkingham, St Andrew, Chancel
Folkingham, St Andrew, Chancel

"late C13 chancel with stone recording restoration of 1825 ... C19 east window"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, chancel
Folkingham, St Andrew, Churchyard, Colin Watson
Folkingham, St Andrew, Churchyard, Colin Watson
Folkingham, St Andrew, Churchyard, Colin Watson

"John Colin Watson (1 February 1920 – 18 January 1983) was a British writer of detective fiction and the creator of characters such as Inspector Purbright and Lucilla Teatime.

Born in Croydon, Surrey, he is best remembered for the twelve Flaxborough novels, typified by their comic and dry wit and set in a fictional small town in England which is closely based on Boston, Lincolnshire.

He worked as a journalist in Lincolnshire and the characters in his books are said to be highly recognisable caricatures of people he encountered in his work.

His 1971 study of interwar thrillers 'Snobbery With Violence', made the phrase popular for describing such authors as Dornford Yates.

Watson was the first person to successfully sue Private Eye for libel, for an article in issue 25 when he objected to being described as: "the little-known author who . . . was writing a novel, very Wodehouse but without the jokes”. He was awarded £750"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Watson_(writer)#:~:text=John%20Colin%20Watson%20(1%20February,Inspector%20Purbright%20and%20Lucilla%20Teatime. 

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, Colin Watson, Author
Folkingham, St Andrew, Exterior Memorial
Folkingham, St Andrew, Exterior Memorial
Folkingham, St Andrew, Exterior Memorial

"Large projecting stack to west with 3 ashlar monuments, the inscription of one, illegible, the others to John Lacey, died 1682 and Mary Lacey, died 1707"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, John Lacey
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave

Looking east towards the "Chancel arch with fine screen of c.1330" 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

"C14 3 bay north and south arcades"

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, nave
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave

Looking west towards the "very tall interior tower arch of c.1435"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Chest
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Chest
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Chest

Presumably this is the C16 chest referenced in the listing text "Remains of clock of 1690 in C16 chest"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733  

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Monument
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Monument
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Monument

"A large slate monument with cherubs to George Sutton, died 1715, and family"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, Sutton
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Pulpit
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Pulpit
Folkingham, St Andrew, Nave, Pulpit

C19 pulpit.

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, pulpit
Folkingham, St Andrew, North Aisle, War Memorial
Folkingham, St Andrew, North Aisle, War Memorial
Folkingham, St Andrew, North Aisle, War Memorial

"IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF THESE MEN OF FOLKINGHAM WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY 1914 – 1918"

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, war memorial
Folkingham, St Andrew, North Aisle, War Memorial Chapel
Folkingham, St Andrew, North Aisle, War Memorial Chapel
Folkingham, St Andrew, North Aisle, War Memorial Chapel

War memorial chapel at the east end of the north aisle.

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church
Folkingham, St Andrew, Porch
Folkingham, St Andrew, Porch
Folkingham, St Andrew, Porch
Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, porch
Folkingham, St Andrew, Porch
Folkingham, St Andrew, Porch
Folkingham, St Andrew, Porch

"Porch interior with flanking stone benches.

Single shafts with moulded bases, in each corner, support tierceron rib vault with 4 shields.

C14 south doorway with pointed, roll moulded head, flanking slender shafts with moulded capitals, defaced shields with arms of the Earls of Chester and of the Beaumont family, and plank doors"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, porch
Folkingham, St Andrew, South Aisle, Font
Folkingham, St Andrew, South Aisle, Font
Folkingham, St Andrew, South Aisle, Font

"C18 font with fluted bowl and heavy baluster pedestal"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, font
Folkingham, St Andrew, South Aisle, John Rogeley
Folkingham, St Andrew, South Aisle, John Rogeley
Folkingham, St Andrew, South Aisle, John Rogeley

"Monuments in nave include one in inlaid marble and ashlar to John Rogeley, died 1780"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, John Rogeley
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower

"C15 4 stage west tower clasped by C14 north and south aisles"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, tower
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower, West Doorway
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower, West Doorway
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower, West Doorway

"West doorway of c.1435 with flattened triangular head, richly moulded jambs on high chamfered plinths, tympanum with 3 shields (originally depicting arms of John, Baron de Beaufort and his wife), flower heads and foliage, hood mould supported on single, slender flanking shafts with polygonal capitals, and plank door.

2 monuments to left of doorway; one, of slate to George Cooper, died 1798; the other of limestone with winged cherub head, to Thomas Cooper, died 1736"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062733 

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church, Door
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower, West Window
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower, West Window
Folkingham, St Andrew, Tower, West Window

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states "the stained west window is a memorial to Brown and Susannah and Edward Morris, the last of whom died in 1859"

DB 5 May 2018

Folkingham, Saint Andrew, Church
Folkingham, The Greyhound Inn
Folkingham, The Greyhound Inn
Folkingham, The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound in Folkingham was once a well known coaching inn on the Lincoln to London road, about 8 miles south of Sleaford (TF 072337).

The imposing red brick frontage was built in the 18th century and an Assize Court and Assembly Room were included in the building.

The Greyhound is now converted into apartments.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Folkingham, Assize, Assembly, coaching,
Folkingham, Workhouse
Folkingham, Workhouse
Folkingham, Workhouse

"House with attached cottage, sometime workhouse, now 2 cottages. Late C18, 1819, later C19 ... Painted inscription set between upper windows: "Falkingham Workhouse 1813""

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1317191 

DB 23 June 2020

Folkingham, Workhouse