White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-
"GRANTHAM PARISH CHURCH (St. Wulfran) is a spacious and elegant structure, built of durable stone, in the early English and decorated styles of the 13th and 14th centuries ; lighted by large and handsome pointed windows, and having at the west end an elegant tower, rising to the height of 135 feet, and crowned by a beautiful octagonal spire, rising 138 feet, making the height of the weathercock 273 feet.
The edifice was repaired in 1628, at the cost of £1450; and in 1651, the top of the spire was blown down and repaired.
In 1797, the spire was struck by lightning, which displaced one of the stones and broke off several of the crockets.
The tower contains ten bells.
The church is 198 feet in length; of which the nave occupies 108; the chancel, 60; and the tower, 30 feet. It is about 80 feet broad, and divided into three aisles.
The interior is very handsome, and contains a fine-toned organ, with a double front; and many costly monuments, one to the memory of Sir Thos. Bury, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, in the reign of George I.; another to Sir Dudley Ryder, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, in the succeeding reign; a third to Captain Cust, R.N., who fell in the expedition against Port Louis, in 1747; and a fourth to Edmund Turnor, Esq., of Stoke Rochford.
The trustees of Charles Clarke's Charity have recently expended £475 in filling the north-west window with a beautiful display of stained glass, by Wailes, of Newcastle, representing the Adoration and the Worship of the Magi.
The other two western windows have also been recently filled with stained glass, by the same eminent artist, at the expense of the Bradley family. The centre window is in memory of the Rev. Chas. Bradley; and the south-west window is in memory of the late Richard Bradley, Esq., and his family, and was erected by his widow in 1855.
Most of the monuments are in the chancel or "ante church," where there is a spiral staircase, which formerly led to the rood loft.
The font is a beautiful specimen of ancient sculpture, ornamented with statues, niches, crocketted canopies, &c.
In the vestry, is a large library of books, given by the Rev. John Newcome, D.D., Master of St. John's College, Cambridge, in 1763.
Over the south porch is a very ancient library, given by Sir Henry More. From this room a small but beautiful oriel window or hagioscope commands a view of the whole interior of the church.
The crypt, under the south aisle, is the most ancient part of the building, and probably formed part of the church founded here in Saxon times, and rebuilt in the 13th or 14th century"
DB 4 May 2019