Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Haugham
 
Haugham, All Saints
Haugham, All Saints
Haugham, All Saints

The spire of this church (All Saints) is a 'little brother' of nearby Louth's St James', and was built in the 1840s at the expense of the then vicar – a member of the Chaplin family.

It is often incorrectly attributed to by W A Nicholson of Lincoln; it was in fact designed by G R Willoughby of Louth, an associate of Nicholson.

Frank Robinson, 2010
Haugham, All Saints church, cast iron, poppy heads, Chaplin
Haugham, All Saints
Haugham, All Saints
Haugham, All Saints

Built to a design of G R Willoughby* in 1840, mainly in brick with lime cement rendering, All Saints’ is a miniature replica of Louth St James’.

It was declared redundant in 1981 but remains consecrated and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. The church is included in the Faber Guide to Victorian Churches.

September 2020

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063691

*The architect George Rivis Willoughby (1803-1853) was a Louth-based architect who worked closely with W A Nicholson of Lincoln.
Haugham, All Saints, G R Willoughby, W A Nicholson
Haugham, All Saints, Bench End
Haugham, All Saints, Bench End
Haugham, All Saints, Bench End

Faithful to the medieval style of the church, the early-Victorian bench ends are decorated with cast iron ‘poppy-heads’.

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, poppy head, bench end
Haugham, All Saints, Interior
Haugham, All Saints, Interior
Haugham, All Saints, Interior

The furniture and fittings inside the church date from the building of the church in 1840.

There are two box pews, with traceried decoration in the side panels, in north-east end of the nave. By oral tradition they are understood to have been for the Eve family (nearest the chancel) and the Cartwright family who were the chief tenants of the Chaplin landlords.

The boards either side of the chancel arch quote the Ten Commandments.

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, box pews
Haugham, All Saints, Memorial
Haugham, All Saints, Memorial
Haugham, All Saints, Memorial

Wall-mounted plaque commemorating Henry Anton, a relative of a local tenant farmer. The inscription reads:

In affectionate remembrance of Lieut Colonel Henry Anton, 1st West Indies Regiment, late Governor of the Gambia, eldest and dearly loved son of Capt. Alexander and Jessy Rachel Anton, who died of dysentery on board the Royal Mail Steam Ship ‘Lagos’, on his passage home, 1st August 1871, aged 17 years. Most deeply regretted.

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, Henry Anton, Alexander Anton, Jessy Rachel Anton, Lagos
Haugham, All Saints, Porch
Haugham, All Saints, Porch
Haugham, All Saints, Porch

The pinnacles and parapet above the porch entrance carry through the elaborate Gothic theme.

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, porch
Haugham, All Saints, Royal Arms
Haugham, All Saints, Royal Arms
Haugham, All Saints, Royal Arms

The roof truss at the entrance to the chancel carries these attractive Royal Arms of Queen Victoria.

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, Royal Arms
Haugham, All Saints, Stained Glass
Haugham, All Saints, Stained Glass
Haugham, All Saints, Stained Glass

The three lights in the upper part of the east window depict St Peter (left, damaged) and St Paul (right), flanking the figure of Christ carrying his cross.

The ribbon below Christ’s figure carries the text Isaiah C.53 V.1

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, window
Haugham, All Saints, Tower
Haugham, All Saints, Tower
Haugham, All Saints, Tower

The crocketed spire, turret pinnacles and flying buttresses above the tower are identical in style to those at St James’ Church in nearby Louth.

The pierced and stepped crenelations are an additional element in this design.

September 2020

Haugham, All Saints, spire, St James, Louth