Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Hogsthorpe
 
Hogsthorpe, Blanchard's Mill
Hogsthorpe, Blanchard's Mill
Hogsthorpe, Blanchard's Mill

Only a small remnant of this tower mill, also known as High Mill, survived at the time of the photograph.

It was raised twice; the sails removed in 1921.

Unusually, it was rendered with cement at some point.

Location of mill: TF 545 721

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002
Hogsthorpe, Sivil's Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Hogsthorpe, Primary School
Hogsthorpe, Primary School
Hogsthorpe, Primary School

The school was built as a National School in 1857, was leased to Lindsey County Council as Hogsthorpe Council School in 1929, and became Hogsthorpe County School c.1947.

Prior to September 1999 the school was known as Hogsthorpe County Primary School.

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, Primary School
Hogsthorpe, Sivilís Mill
Hogsthorpe, Sivilís Mill
Hogsthorpe, Sivilís Mill

Sivilís Mill or High Mill at Hogsthorpe, which stood in Mill Lane, lost its cap and sails in a severe gale in January 1881.

It was repaired by Saunderson, millwrights of Louth, and also heightened by one storey, not an uncommon occurrence.

Postcard from David Robinson Collection, 1923

Hogsthorpe, windmill, Sivil's Mill, Saunderson
Hogsthorpe, Sivilís Mill
Hogsthorpe, Sivilís Mill
Hogsthorpe, Sivilís Mill

This is a three-storey mill - later heightened - with four sails built on Mill Lane.

It was extensively damaged in a severe gale in 1881.

Jon Sass Collection, undated photograph

Hogsthorpe, Hign Mill, windmill, Jon Sass
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary

The south aisle, seen here, was rebuilt with red brick laid in English bond in the seventeenth century.

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary

A patchwork of greenstone and brick, St Maryís in Hogsthorpe is largely Early English in style.

The top of the tower is Perpendicular. Inside can be found a Perpendicular font and Georgian pulpit.

The church is open during the day.

Mark Acton, 2013


Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary

The lower section of the tower in Early English style with flat buttresses and twin bell openings (on the west face) contrasts with the upper section of the later Perpendicular period.

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, St Mary church
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary

The chancel of St Mary's was rebuillt in 1870.

As Pevsner points out, there are two small carved stone shields dating from the 15th century set in the south-east angle of the chancel, about 2 metres above ground level,

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, St Mary church
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary
Hogsthorpe, St Mary

View from the north-east. More brick patchwork.

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, St Mary church
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, boot scraper
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, boot scraper
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, boot scraper

A relatively modern boot scraper by the south door of the church - ready for five at a time it seems!

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, St Mary church, boot scraper
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, interior view
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, interior view
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, interior view

Five-bay arcades comprising circular columns, circular abaci and double-chamfered arches.

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, St Mary church
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, porch
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, porch
Hogsthorpe, St Mary, porch

The porch (patched like most of the church) is typical of the fifteenth century in Perpendicular style.

September 2018

Hogsthorpe, St Mary church