Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Laceby
 
Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial
Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial
Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial

Haagensen Memorial and Vault of 1897.

"the striking design and aesthetic quality of the statue achieves a high level of sculptural quality, which is echoed in the design and artistic quality of the marble-lined vault with its relief depictions of Peter and Janna Haagensen ...

the association of the memorial with Peter Haagensen, Consul for Sweden and Norway adds a measure of historic interest, evidenced by the volume of visitors who attended the memorial over a period of time, prompting the opening of a tea room and the production of souvenirs"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1422159 

DB 7 March 2020 

Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial
Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial Inscription
Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial Inscription
Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial Inscription

"IN MEMORY OF CONSUL PETER HENRIK HAAGENSEN BORN AT MOSS NORWAY 3RD AUGUST 1837 DIED AT BOURNMOUTH MAY 12TH 1919 AND OF HIS BELOVED WIFE JANNA BORN AT VINGER NORWAY 7TH SEPT 1845 DIED AT GRIMSBY 11TH DECR 1897

TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN THE HOPE OF RESURRECTION AND RECOGNITION IN ETERNITY"

DB 7 March 2020

Laceby, Cemetery, Haagensen Memorial
Laceby, Cemetery, War Memorial
Laceby, Cemetery, War Memorial
Laceby, Cemetery, War Memorial

First & Second World War memorial in the Council Cemetery.

DB 7 March 2020

Laceby, Cemetery, War Memorial
Laceby, Fire Station
Laceby, Fire Station
Laceby, Fire Station

Building next to the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street. Advised locally that this was the former Fire Station (?)

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Fire Station
Laceby, GP Surgery
Laceby, GP Surgery
Laceby, GP Surgery

GP Surgery at 6 Caistor Road. 

"House. Early-mid C19 with later alterations, including re-roofing"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1103501

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, GP Surgery
Laceby, GP Surgery
Laceby, GP Surgery
Laceby, GP Surgery

Doctor's nameplates outside 6 Caistor Road. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, GP Surgery
Laceby, Laceby Motorcycles
Laceby, Laceby Motorcycles
Laceby, Laceby Motorcycles

Display next to the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Caistor Road celebrating Laceby Motorcycles 1959-1997.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby Motorcycles
Laceby, Meeting Room
Laceby, Meeting Room
Laceby, Meeting Room

Meeting Room located at the end of Old Chapel Lane.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Meeting Room
Laceby, Nags Head & Waterloo Inn
Laceby, Nags Head & Waterloo Inn
Laceby, Nags Head & Waterloo Inn

"Laceby's public house the Waterloo Inn and the Nags Head Inn, which were noted in the Guinness Book of Records as the two closest pubs in England.

They were combined into one pub in 1990.

After a period of closure it re-opened on 22 March 2009 under a new landlord however unfortunately both sides of the pub are now closed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laceby 

Only the Waterloo Inn listed in Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 although there is reference to a beer retailer :-

"Austin Fred, Waterloo inn"

"Hill Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer" 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Waterloo Inn, Nags Head, Public House
Laceby, Post Office
Laceby, Post Office
Laceby, Post Office

A plaque attached to the building states :-

"TO CELEBRATE 150 YEARS LACEBY POST OFFICE 1849-1999 IN THIS BUILDING"

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Post, M. 0., T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office - William H.Haines, sub-postmaster. Letters though Grimsby. Wall Letter Box, Cross roads"

Unfortunately the post office has now closed. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Post Office
Laceby, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Primitive Methodist Chapel

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Grimsby & Cleethorpes Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson March 1998 it is stated that :- 

"A chapel was erected in Caistor Road in 1839. It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1877.

The last service was held on the 20.11.1956 and the chapel sold in 1961.

For many years it was used as a County Council Youth Club but is now boarded up"

Now used as 1st Laceby Scout Group Headquarters.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Rectory
Laceby, Rectory
Laceby, Rectory

Old Rectory viewed from the churchyard.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states "Rev. Wm. Hilton Hutchinson is the incumbent, and has a good Rectory House, built in 1834, and 17 acres of glebe"

DB 7 March 2020

Laceby, Rectory
Laceby, St Margaret's Church Hall
Laceby, St Margaret's Church Hall
Laceby, St Margaret's Church Hall

The OS 25 inch map published 1888 shows a Sunday School occupying this site whilst that published in 1932 shows an Oddfellows' Hall.

DB 7 March 2020 

Laceby, Saint Margaret's Church Hall, Oddfellows
Laceby, St Margaret's Church Hall
Laceby, St Margaret's Church Hall
Laceby, St Margaret's Church Hall

Date stone from a former Sunday School displayed outside the Church Hall.

DB 7 March 2020 

Laceby, Saint Margaret's Church Hall, Sunday School
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret

St Margaret's church in Laceby has a thirteenth-century tower. The north arcade is Early English save for the central bay which is rebuilt Norman.

The north aisle, chancel, vestry & south porch are from Fowler of Louth's restoration of 1870-71.

Grimsby-born John Whitgift, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1583-1604, was Rector here from 1571-76.

Mark Acton, 2015

Laceby, St Margaret church, John Whitgift, John Fowler
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The Church of St. Margaret is an edifice of Ancaster stone, in the Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, west porch and an embattled western tower of Perpendicular date, with eight pinnacles and containing 5 bells, two of which are of pre-Reformation date, and one is known as the "Pancake " bell:

the stained east window is a memorial to George Brooks, and there are others to Edward Watson, of Hubbard's place, Boston, Richard Cropper, formerly of Laceby Hall, and to William Brooks esq.:

the church was seated with open benches in 1850, and restored in I870:

a new organ and organ chamber were erected in 1912:

in the church is a monument to W. Laude, ob. 1424:

there are 300 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1538, and contains a complete list of all the incumbents of this parish from the 13th century, and a remarkable entry relating to the execution of a witch here in 1546.

The living is a rectory, net yearly value £415, including 18 acres of glebe, with residence, and held since I888 by the Rev. Henry Wynyard Knight M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Margaret) is a neat structure, which had formerly two, but has now only one side aisle.

It was newly seated with open benches in 1850, and has an organ, purchased in 1852, by subscription.

In the chancel is a monument to the memory of Wm. Launde, who died in 14.24.

The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12. 0s. 10d., has a yearly rent-charge of £530, awarded, in 1840, in lieu of tithes.

R. Haynes, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Hilton Hutchinson is the incumbent, and has a good Rectory House, built in 1834, and 17 acres of glebe"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret
Laceby, St Margaret

"Parish church. C12 sections to nave and north arcade, remainder of arcade C13; C13 chancel with C14-C15 windows, C13 tower with C14-C15 top stage.

Restorations of 1869 by James Fowler of Louth included rebuilding north aisle, chancel and much of nave, new porch and vestry; organ-chamber of 1912"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346952 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, Anglo-Saxon Stones
Laceby, St Margaret, Anglo-Saxon Stones
Laceby, St Margaret, Anglo-Saxon Stones

Church Guide states "Built into the outside of the north wall are several fragments of stone with interface design, possibly the remains of a Saxon cross" 

DB 7 March 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, Anglo-Saxon
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel

Chancel was rebuilt in 1869.

"Restorations of 1869 by James Fowler of Louth included rebuilding north aisle, chancel and much of nave, new porch and vestry; organ-chamber of 1912"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346952

The choir stalls date from 1911. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel

Closer view of the sanctuary. 

Church Guide states that the Main Altar was made by Mr Ernest Wright of Laceby. Date not given but around 1950.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel

View from the chancel looking back into the nave.

The choir stalls date from 1911. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel

North side of sanctuary with C19 aumbry.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, East Window
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, East Window
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, East Window

The Church Guide states :-

"The East Window was rebuilt in 1869 but the glass was a later insertion in memory of George Brooks who died in 1883.

It comprises three lights which show: The Nativity, the Ascension and the Resurrection"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, window, stained glass
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, Organ
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, Organ
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, Organ

The makers plate reads "COUSANS, SONS & Co. LINCOLN 1912"

The Church Guide states that the organ was paid for by public subscription and replaced an earlier organ at the west end of the church. Electric blower installed 1948.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, organ
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, South Window
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, South Window
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, South Window

The Church Guide states :-

"The window in the south wall of the chancel was unveiled in 1947 to the memory of Canon H W Knight, Rector l889-1943.

The centre light of the three shows Jesus as The Sower, while on the left Is Canon Knight at a confirmation by Bishop King in Laceby Church, on the right the institution of John Whitgift as Dean of Lincoln ...

Mr Francis Skeat of St Albans was the artist"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, South Window, John Whitgift
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, South Window, John Whitgift
Laceby, St Margaret, Chancel, South Window, John Whitgift

Detail from the south window :- 

"JOHN WHITGIFT IS INSTALLED DEAN OF LINCOLN, 2ND AUGUST 1571.

HE WAS APPOINTED RECTOR OF LACEBY IN THE FOLLOWING YEAR"

Born nearby in Grimsby and subsequently Archbishop of Canterbury.

"John Whitgift (c. 1530 – 29 February 1604) was the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1583 to his death. Noted for his hospitality, he was somewhat ostentatious in his habits, sometimes visiting Canterbury and other towns attended by a retinue of 800 horses. Whitgift's theological views were often controversial"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Whitgift 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, stained glass, window, John Whitgift
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave

Looking east towards the "C19 pointed moulded chancel arch on filleted responds"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346952

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave

Looking west towards the font.

Pews, pulpit, lectern and font date from 1869.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave

Looking across the nave towards the north arcade and north aisle beyond.

"5-bay north arcade has central round arch of 2 orders with zig-zag, crenellated, carved pellet and roll mouldings, on cylindrical piers"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346952 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Font
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Font
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Font

Font 1869 York Stone.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, font
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Memorial
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Memorial
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Memorial

Memorial to John & Katherine Holmes died 1788 & 1798.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, memorial, John Holmes
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Window
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Window
Laceby, St Margaret, Nave, Window

In memory of William Brooks died 1851 with pictures of the four Major Prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel.

Located near the pulpit. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, stained glass, window
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle

Look east towards the side chapel and organ chamber beyond.

North aisle was rebuilt in 1869 by James Fowler of Louth.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346952


DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle

Looking west towards the Choir Vestry and "Cropper" window.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle

Altar & Kneeler, at the east end of the north aisle, given in 1963.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle

Photographs of former rectors displayed in the north aisle.

Top Row LtoR  William Hilton Hutchinson 1849-1862, Edmund Hinds Knight 1862-1889 & Henry Wynyard Knight 1889-1943.

Middle Row LtoR Willoughby Richard Knox Robinson 1944-1954, Lionel William Rupert Bacon 1955-1959, Clifford Mildmay Asquith Dawson 1960-1968.

Bottom Row LtoR Sam Riley 1968-1977, John Edmund Bassett 1978-1983 & Roger John Ryan 1983-1988.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle, West Window
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle, West Window
Laceby, St Margaret, North Aisle, West Window

"To the Glory of God. In Loving Memory this window is erected by the children of the late Robert Cropper, and Frances his wife of Laceby House, AD September 1887"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, window, stained glass, Robert Cropper
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch

New porch 1869 by James Fowler of Louth.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, porch, James Fowler
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch

"C12 chamfered round-arched inner door with plain moulded imposts"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1346952 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, door
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch

"TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL AND IN APPRECIATION OF THOSE WHO SERVED FROM THIS PARISH IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945 THE CLOCK HAS BEEN ILLUMINATED AND A SECOND DIAL INCORPORATED"

Church clock located in the tower. Guide states "The Church clock was made and erected in 1897 by William Potts and Co of Leeds, to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. It originally only had one (South) Face but in 1950 the North Face was added as a village Memorial to those who served and died in the Second World War"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church, war memorial, clock
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch, Mass Dial
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch, Mass Dial
Laceby, St Margaret, Porch, Mass Dial

"A tide dial, also known as a Mass or scratch dial, is a sundial marked with the canonical hours rather than or in addition to the standard hours of daylight.

Such sundials were particularly common between the 7th and 14th centuries in Europe, at which point they began to be replaced by mechanical clocks.

There are more than 3,000 surviving tide dials in England and at least 1,500 in France"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide_dial 

A wooden gnomon would have fitted in the central hole.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Saint Margaret, Church
Laceby, Stanford's Charity School
Laceby, Stanford's Charity School
Laceby, Stanford's Charity School

Part of former school now a private house. Modern school buildings are located further to the west along Cooper lane.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"Stanford's Charity School, founded in 1712 by Philip Stanford for the parishes of Laceby, Bradley & Barnoldby-le-Beck, & endowed by him with a house & certain lands ;

the estate now consists of a farmhouse & 74 acres of land, producing an annual income of £122 5s. of which a sum of £7 I0s. is left to charities other than for school purposes;

the school will hold 258 chlidren; Albert Dossor, master; Miss Eliza Ann Bodkin, infants' mistress"

DB 7 March 2020

Laceby, Stanford's Charity School
Laceby, Temperance Hall
Laceby, Temperance Hall
Laceby, Temperance Hall

Kelly's Directory of Linconshire 1919 states :-

"Here is a Temperance Hall, erected in 1872, at a cost of £500 and seating about 250 persons"

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Temperance Hall
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Grimsby & Cleethorpes Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson March 1998 it is stated that :-

"i) Services commenced in 1753 and a Society formed in 1769. The first chapel was built in 1810.

ii) A larger chapel was erected in New Chapel Lane, with the stone laying occurring on the 21.2.1837 and the opening on the 15.6.1837.

Another even larger chapel facing the High Street and backing on to the old one, which continued in use as a Sunday school, was opened on the 13.1.1853.

In May 1971 the chapel was reopened following internal alterations.

The premises continue in use with a membership of 35"

Image shows the 1837 chapel which was latterly used as a Sunday School. Unfortunately the chapel is now closed and has been converted into a private house. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Date stone on the 1837 chapel fronting New Chapel Lane.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Grimsby & Cleethorpes Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson March 1998 it is stated that :-

"i) Services commenced in 1753 and a Society formed in 1769. The first chapel was built in 1810.

ii) A larger chapel was erected in New Chapel Lane, with the stone laying occurring on the 21.2.1837 and the opening on the 15.6.1837.

Another even larger chapel facing the High Street and backing on to the old one, which continued in use as a Sunday school, was opened on the 13.1.1853.

In May 1971 the chapel was reopened following internal alterations.

The premises continue in use with a membership of 35"

Image shows the 1853 chapel. Unfortunately the chapel is now closed and has been converted into a private house. 

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A second view of the 1853 chapel with the 1837 chapel just visible at the left hand side of the image.

DB 8 February 2020

Laceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel