The name of this pub is a reference to Baron Robert de Montalt.
"The first creation of the title was for Roger de Montalt, who was summoned to parliament on 23 June 1295. On his death two years later, the barony became extinct.
The second creation was for Robert de Montalt, who was summoned to parliament on 6 February 1299. He was the younger brother of the first baron of the 1295 creation. On his death thirty years later, the barony became extinct.
He died of his wounds after fighting a duel against Robert de Mablethorpe. (He was the son and heir of Sir William of Mablethorpe, lord of the manor of Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire, which was located on the site of the present Mablethorpe Hall) at Earls Bridge on the outskirts of Mablethorpe Lincolnshire.
Both men died of their wounds. Robert de Montalt was buried at All Saints Church in Maltby le Marsh. He was buried in the chancel; his tomb has an effigy of a cross-legged knight wearing chain mail and surcoat. At his head are two angels by the pillow and at his feet, two lions biting each other"
Building currently for sale as a "Public House/Development Opportunity".
DB 29 June 2019