Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Moulton
 
Moulton Marsh, Methodist Chapel
Moulton Marsh, Methodist Chapel
Moulton Marsh, Methodist Chapel

The chapel on Red Cow Drove, built in 1910, is the second Wesleyan Methodist chapel on this site. The last service was held in 1973.

July 2019

Moulton, Methodist Chapel, Red Cow Drove
Moulton Marsh, Methodist Chapel
Moulton Marsh, Methodist Chapel
Moulton Marsh, Methodist Chapel

The plaque above the porch confirming the date of construction of the chapel.

July 2019

Moulton,
Moulton Seas End, Mission Chapel
Moulton Seas End, Mission Chapel
Moulton Seas End, Mission Chapel

This small brick building was erected in 1867-68 by the Anglican Church as a mission chapel serviced by the church in Moulton village.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999

Moulton, Seas End mission chapel
Moulton, All Saints
Moulton, All Saints
Moulton, All Saints

The church of All Saints in Moulton has a fine four stage Perpendicular tower with spire, 165 ft high.

Inside are late-twelfth century arcades and an Early English clerestory, but many of the windows date from Victorian improvements.

The chancel has a simple Early English sedilia and a plain fourteenth century easter sepulchre.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, All Saints, church, Easter Sepulchre,
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel

"Mid C14 chancel raised in C15"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147325 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, All Saints, church, chancel
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel

Closer view of the sanctuary. 

"C19 stone reredos with mosaic detailing"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147325 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, All Saints, church, chancel, altar
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel, East Window
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel, East Window
Moulton, All Saints, Chancel, East Window

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. John Russell Jackson M.A. vicar here 1866-1900"

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, All Saints, church, stained glass, window
Moulton, All Saints, Font
Moulton, All Saints, Font
Moulton, All Saints, Font

The font in All Saints Church, Moulton, has a relief carving depicting the Baptism of Christ.

Flanking the stem of this "bulgy bowl" (Pevsner) are the figures of Adam and Eve.

It was made in 1719 by William Tydd.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, church, font, Tydd,
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment

For Harriet, daughter of Rev Baptist Isaac, of Dorset, who married as his third wife, Henry Boulton, and died 3 March 1806.

(From Monson's Church Notes)

 

Moulton, All Saints, church, hatchment,
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment

For Mary, daughter of Lt-Colonel Durell, who married as his 4th wife, Henry Boulton, and died 9 April 1808.

(From Monson's Church Notes)

Moulton, All Saints, church, hatchment,
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment
Moulton, All Saints, Hatchment

For Henry Boulton, who married first Susanna, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Mr Serjeant Forster, died 5 September 1788. 

He married second Mary, daughter of John Francklin, of county Bedford, died 4 September 1795. 

He married third Harriet, daughter of Rev Baptist isaac, of Dorset, died 3 March 1806. 

He married fourth, Mary Winifreda, daughter of Lt-Colonal Durell, died 9 April 1808. 

He married fifth Emma, 4th daughter of Thomas Lane of Selsdon Surrey, died 11 March 1828.

Moulton, All Saints, church, hatchment,
Moulton, All Saints, Nave
Moulton, All Saints, Nave
Moulton, All Saints, Nave

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of All Saints is an exceedingly fine building of stone in the Transitional, Early English, Early and Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells, and a chiming apparatus, added in 1888:

the old bells were recast and the sixth added in 1911 at a cost of £120:

the nave is Late Transitional work, and its pier capitals afford a most valuable series of examples of the carved foliage of this particular date; the clerestory has a continuous external arcade, similar to that of Whaplode, but the finest and most striking feature of the church is its exceptionally well proportioned and elegant tower and spire, which is unsurpassed by any in the kingdom :

the tower is of four stages, supported at the angles by double canopied buttresses rising into panelled and crocketed pinnacles; the parapet is embattled and from within it springs a light octagonal ribbed and crocketed spire, with three tiers of louvre lights placed alternately; small flying buttresses connect the pinnacles with the spire:

there are memorials to Robert Heath, vicar, ob. 1665; Philip Tallents, vicar, ob. 1704; and the Rev. Samuel Elsdale M.A. d. 1827:

the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. John Russell Jackson M.A. vicar here 1866-1900:

the church was restored in I867, both externally and internally, at a cost of £3,500, and the tower and spire in 1903, at a cost of £350:

in 1888 the organ was enlarged and renovated"

DB 29 April 2018

Moulton, All Saints, church, nave
Moulton, All Saints, Organ
Moulton, All Saints, Organ
Moulton, All Saints, Organ

"North west chancel C15 window blocked in C19, with organ pipes inserted in lights, panel tracery and C19 four centred arch below"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147325 

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states that "in 1888 the organ was enlarged and renovated". 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, All Saints, church, organ
Moulton, All Saints, Pulpit
Moulton, All Saints, Pulpit
Moulton, All Saints, Pulpit

"C19 lectern, pews and pulpit"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147325 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, All Saints, church, pulpit
Moulton, All Saints, Royal Arms
Moulton, All Saints, Royal Arms
Moulton, All Saints, Royal Arms
Royal Arms of post 1837 design, probably designed for 1977 Silver Jubilee.
Moulton, All Saints, Royal Arms, Silver Jubilee
Moulton, All Saints, War Memorial
Moulton, All Saints, War Memorial
Moulton, All Saints, War Memorial

First and Second World War memorial.

"IN MEMORY OF THOSE FROM THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919"

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, All Saints, church, war memorial
Moulton, All Saints, War Memorial
Moulton, All Saints, War Memorial
Moulton, All Saints, War Memorial

Moulton Grammar School Second World War memorial. 

"1939 – 1945. In grateful remembrance of the old boys of this school who made the supreme sacrifice in the Second World War"

DB 29 April 2018

Moulton, All Saints, church, war memorial, Moulton Grammar School
Moulton, All Saints, Window
Moulton, All Saints, Window
Moulton, All Saints, Window

Alfred Stanley Hatt, Headmaster of Moulton Grammar School, 1894-1927, is commemorated in this window on the north side of the nave.

He had a special interest in cricket.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, church, window, Hatt, Grammar School,
Moulton, All Saints, Window
Moulton, All Saints, Window
Moulton, All Saints, Window

Alfred Stanley Hatt, Headmaster of Moulton Grammar School, 1894-1927, is commemorated in this window on the north side of the nave.

His special interest in cricket is recalled in this detail.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, church, window, cricket, Hatt,
Moulton, All Saints, Window
Moulton, All Saints, Window
Moulton, All Saints, Window

Twentieth century stained glass window in All Saints church, Moulton, in memory of the local doctor.

The inscription reads: Remember before God, Thomas Cotton MD, born 1836, died 1917.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, All Saints, window, Cotton,
Moulton, Grammar School
Moulton, Grammar School
Moulton, Grammar School

"Harrox House. Late C18"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064506

"Moulton Grammar School was founded through an endowment given in the will of John Harrox (died 1561) who was steward to Sir John Harrington of Weston.

The School opened in 1562 with ten pupils and continued to educate boys until 1939 when it merged with Spalding Grammar School.

Some school buildings still exist but are now private residences"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulton,_Lincolnshire 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, Harrox House, Grammar School
Moulton, Grammar School
Moulton, Grammar School
Moulton, Grammar School

"Harrox House Site of Moulton Grammar School (1562-1939) Founded by John Harrox (died 1561)"

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, Harrox House, Grammar School
Moulton, Hand Pump
Moulton, Hand Pump
Moulton, Hand Pump

"Hand pump. C18 and late C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1064504 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, Pump
Moulton, The Swan, Public House
Moulton, The Swan, Public House
Moulton, The Swan, Public House

"Inn, now public house. Late C18, early and late C19, C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1147422 

DB 28 April 2019

Moulton, Swan, Public House, Inn
Moulton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Moulton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Moulton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Pictured whilst participating in the annual South Holland Church Flower Festivals event. 

In "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Holbeach Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson March 1998 (Revised August 1998) it is stated that :-

"A Society was formed in 1789 and a house registered for worship in 1795.

A chapel was erected, in Bell Lane, in 1830 and is still in use with a membership of 12"

DB 1 May 2010

Moulton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church
Moulton, Windmill (1)
Moulton, Windmill (1)
Moulton, Windmill (1)

This tall (nine-storey) mill was built in 1822 by Robert King and was most recently worked by the Biggadike family from 1924 to 1995. 

Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1895

Moulton, windmill, Jon Sass
Moulton, Windmill (2)
Moulton, Windmill (2)
Moulton, Windmill (2)

A provender milling business continued on the site until 1995.

Location of mill: TF 307 240

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999


Moulton,
Moulton, Windmill (3)
Moulton, Windmill (3)
Moulton, Windmill (3)

At approximately 100 feet high to the cap and with nine floors, Moulton windmill is reputedly the tallest mill in the country.

The mill has now been completely restored to working order and is open to the public.

Ken Redmore 2010

Moulton, windmill, Biggadike,
Moulton, Windmill, Machinery
Moulton, Windmill, Machinery
Moulton, Windmill, Machinery

The windmill at Moulton has been restored to full working order.

This photograph shows, to the right, the great spur wheel and one of the smaller stone nuts.

When these two gears are engaged the vertical shaft through the stone nut rotates one of the millstones below and grain is ground into flour or animal feed.

Moulton, windmill, machinery,