Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Muckton
 
Muckton, Holy Trinity
Muckton, Holy Trinity
Muckton, Holy Trinity

An inadequate photograph of the west end of Holy Trinity with its central buttress and bellcote above (obscured by a tree).

The church, with Norman origins, was rebuilt by James Fowler of Louth in 1878-79 in Norman style.

It was demolished in 1983.

Jews' Court collection, 1978

Muckton, Holy Trinity, James Fowler
Muckton, Railway Crossing
Muckton, Railway Crossing
Muckton, Railway Crossing

The East Lincolnshire Railway Line looped towards the coast and skirted the Wolds. For the stretch between Alford and Louth - a distance of about 11 miles - it took a dead straight line in the flat marshland.

This photograph is taken at the point where the line crossed an unmetalled green lane running SW-NE along the boundary between the parishes of Muckton and Authorpe.

The concrete post once supported the an unmanned crossing gate.

Jean Howard, May 2020

Muckton, railway crossing, East Lincolnshire Railway
Muckton, Railway Line
Muckton, Railway Line
Muckton, Railway Line

Much of the former East Lincolnshire Railway Line between Firsby and Grimsby, closed in 1970, has reverted to agricultural land, leaving little trace of its former use. 

However, in some places the position of the line can be readily recognised through the lines of vegetation - now vastly overgrown - which once bordered the track.

This view of former line is on the eastern edge of Muckton parish. 

Jean Howard, May 2020

Muckton, East Lincolnshire Railway Line