Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
North Rauceby
 
North Rauceby, Medieval Village
North Rauceby, Medieval Village
North Rauceby, Medieval Village

"North Rauceby is a shrunken village, being associated with a partial lost settlement"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Rauceby 

"Medieval or Post Medieval settlement, consisting of hollow ways, crofts, buildings, fields, and ridge and furrow seen as earthworks. Pottery and other finds have been recorded"

https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=348926 

View from Chapel Lane. 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Medieval Village
North Rauceby, School
North Rauceby, School
North Rauceby, School

White's Directory 1872 states " The school for North and South Rauceby was built in 1842, at the cost of the Marquis of Bristol, the late A. Willson, Esq., and the then vicar, the Rev. Edward Trollope".

Kelly's Directory 1919 has "Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1842, for 116 children; William Henry Baily, master".

Situated midway between North and South Rauceby.

DB 2020

North Rauceby, School
North Rauceby, Sculpture
North Rauceby, Sculpture
North Rauceby, Sculpture

A roadside sculpture at the entrance to the village on Church Lane.

North Kesteven's "Stepping Out" walk leaflet states that "this is carved from Ancaster Stone, was created by Anne Alldread, is named Fieldstone and depicts a pheasant hiding within a hedgerow". 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Sculpture, Anne Alldread
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

St Peter, North Rauceby, is considered one of the finest churches in the area.

The broach spire is Early English, the nave Decorated with a Perpendicular clerestory and the chancel a rebuild by S. S. Teulon in 1853.

Mark Acton, 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter, S S Teulon
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

The Perpendicular clerestory has five bays, each with three-light windows under low-pitch triangular heads.

The Decorated south aisle has a window with reticulated tracery (left of doorway) and one with circles filled by two mouchettes (right of doorway).

April 2016

 

North Rauceby, St Peter church
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

The three tiers of lucarnes in the broach spire are in alternating directions, a common pattern with an octagonal sectioned spire.

April 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter church
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

View of the church across the graveyard from the south-west.

April 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter church
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

Details of the broach spire and one of the bell openings in the tower below.

April 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter church
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

The chancel was rebuilt by S S Teulon in 1853, a strong design but not one of his most flamboyant.

April 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter church, SS Teulon
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

Kelly's Directory 1930 states :-

"The church of St. Peter is an edifice of Ancaster stone in the Decorated and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried and embattled nave of three bays, aisles, south porch, vestry and a western tower with octagonal broach spire, relieved by spire lights, and containing 4 bells, dating from 1619 to 1723:

the tower and spire may be assigned to the late 12th or early 13th century :

the south aisle is Decorated, the porch Early English :

the chancel, erected in the 16th century, in the time of W. Styrlay, vicar, at a cost of £44 8s. 8d. was rebuilt by Anthony Willson esq. in 1853, from designs by Mr. S. S. Teulon, architect ; during the rebuilding many old tombstones of the 13th and 14th centuries and worked stones of the Early English period were found built into the walls:

the east window is stained, and there are memorial windows to Mr. Willson, Mrs. Peacock, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Welby, Jesse Miller Thurlby and Frances Thurlby, and some fragments of ancient glass linger in the nave windows:

the north arcade and aisle date from about 1320-50, and at the east end of the latter there remains a canopied niche, and in the south aisle a piscina, carved bracket with canopy, and a hagioscope ; there is also the arch of a founder's tomb, enclosing a slab of freestone incised with an enriched cross, and an inscription round the margin to William ffraunk, of Rauceby, ob. Sept. 1385, which, however, is later than the arch above ; adjoining is another and similar slab:

during the restoration of the north aisle a large mural painting was discovered between the windows, 20 feet long and 5½ wide, with a red border, and a figure conjectured to be St. Anthony, and another of a grotesque monster :

the rood loft stairs remain perfect, together with the upper doorway :

the font is Perpendicular, and most of the bench ends are original:

attached to the vestry wall is a brass effigy and inscription to William Styrlay, formerly vicar here, and canon of the Augustinian priory of Shelford, Notts, ob. 4th December, 1536:

in the tower is a monument to Alice, 1st wife of Richard Jessap, d. September, 1716, and Joanna, his second wife, d. August 31, 1720:

in the chancel is a brass to Ida Maude, wife of Arthur R. Willson, who died in South Africa, December 11th, 1902:

in the churchyard is a tomb, apparently of the 14th century, with the effigy of a priest in eucharistic vestments and holding a chalice in his hands:

a new organ was provided in 1901:

a lych gate was erected in memory of Maj.Gen. Mildmay W. Willson K.C.B. (d. 1912):

there are 310 sittings".

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Saint Peter, Church, Image
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter
North Rauceby, St Peter

White's Directory 1872 states :-

"The Church (St. Peter) is an ancient structure, in the Early English and decorated styles, with a fine tower and spire of the first period, containing four bells.

It was restored in 1853, when the chancel was rebuilt, and two stained glass windows were inserted by the late Anthony Willson, Esq., in memory of his mother and uncle"

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Saint Peter, Church, Image
North Rauceby, St Peter, doorway
North Rauceby, St Peter, doorway
North Rauceby, St Peter, doorway

Priest's door with ogee arched head in the south side of the chancel, the work of S S Teulon in 1853.

April 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter, priest's doorway, S S Teulon
North Rauceby, St Peter, grotesque
North Rauceby, St Peter, grotesque
North Rauceby, St Peter, grotesque

Grotesque on the south side of St Peter's.

April 2016

North Rauceby, St Peter church, grotesque
North Rauceby, St Peter, Lych Gate
North Rauceby, St Peter, Lych Gate
North Rauceby, St Peter, Lych Gate

"Lych gate. 1912 ... The gate was built to the memory of Maj. Gen. Mildmay W. Willson, K.C.B., d. 1912".

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061757 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Saint Peter, Churchyard, Lych Gate, Mildmay Willson
North Rauceby, St Peter, Porch
North Rauceby, St Peter, Porch
North Rauceby, St Peter, Porch

"The gabled C13 south porch has a triple chamfered outer arch with paired angle shafts and hobnail annular capitals"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360606 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Saint Peter, Church, Image
North Rauceby, St Peter, Porch
North Rauceby, St Peter, Porch
North Rauceby, St Peter, Porch

"C14 inner door has a continuously wave moulded and pointed surround. Above is an empty contemporary-niche with crocketed ogee arched canopy"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360606 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Saint Peter, Church, Image, Porch
North Rauceby, Vicarage
North Rauceby, Vicarage
North Rauceby, Vicarage

The old vicarage viewed from the churchyard.

"Former vicarage, now house. Mid C18, altered early C19 and C20"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1061758 

Kelly's Directory 1905 states "The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £190, including 126 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Arthur William Matthews Drew".

DB 2020 

North Rauceby, Vicarage
North Rauceby, Village Cross
North Rauceby, Village Cross
North Rauceby, Village Cross

"Located on a green at the road junction east of the church. The cross is of stepped form and is medieval and later in date".

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1009231 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Village Cross
North Rauceby, War Memorial
North Rauceby, War Memorial
North Rauceby, War Memorial

Memorial located in St Peter's churchyard. 

"War memorial. 1921. Erected by the parishioners of North Rauceby and paid for by public subscription".

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1389290 

DB 2020

North Rauceby, War Memorial
North Rauceby, War Memorial
North Rauceby, War Memorial
North Rauceby, War Memorial

Memorial on the opposite side of Church Lane from St Peter's churchyard.

"IN MEMORY OF PILOT OFFICER HENRY "HARRY” ERIC RATH R.C.A.F. AND SERGEANT KARL MORRIS MIEGEL R.A.A.F. WHO DIED WHEN THEIR VICKERS WELLINGTON (T2834) CRASHED NEAR HERE IN THE EARLY HOURS OF MONDAY 20TH APRIL 1942".

DB 2020

North Rauceby, War Memorial
North Rauceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
North Rauceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
North Rauceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Sleaford Circuit Past And Present" prepared by  Colin Shepherdson & Peter Robinson June 1996 states that :- 

"Built in North Rauceby in 1881, the last service was held on the 24.3.1967. The chapel is now a pair of stone clad dwellings, Nos 27 & 29 Main Road".

DB 2020

North Rauceby, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel