Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
North Scarle
 
North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints

All Saints, North Scarle, was rebuilt after a fire in 1341/2 though much Early English work remains.

Sir Ninian Comper added the north aisle in 1895-98 along with painted ceilings, stained glass, furnishings and altars.

Mark Acton, 2016

North Scarle, All Saints church, Ninian Comper
North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints

The chancel dates from the Early English period - as indicated by the low window to the left.

At one time there was a chapel built on the north side of the chancel.

October 2016

North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints

The windows in both nave and chancel were introduced by the late nineteenth century restoration of Comper.

October 2016

North Scarle, All Saints
North Scarle, All Saints, doorway
North Scarle, All Saints, doorway
North Scarle, All Saints, doorway

The round-arched door-head above the south doorway is something of a puzzle. Pevsner asserts that it cannot be Norman and suggests that it dates instead from the Elizabethan period.

October 2016

North Scarle, All Saints, doorway
North Scarle, All Saints, porch
North Scarle, All Saints, porch
North Scarle, All Saints, porch

The porch of All Saints' church is constructed from unworked limestone laid in rough courses.

October 2016

North Scarle, All Saints, porch
North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A chapel opened by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1900 in High Street, now used as the parish hall.

October 2016

North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, church
North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Lincoln Circuits Past And Present" prepared by Colin Shepherdson (Revised October 2000) states :-

"i) A Society was formed pre 1759 and the first chapel, in the High Street, erected in 1799. It closed with the opening of the new chapel and for a time was used as a grocer's store, then a barn before finally being converted into a dwelling, "The Old Chapel".

ii) A second chapel was opened on the 5.12.1900, about a 100 yards along the road from the first. Through a L.E.P. worship is being held in the parish church, with a membership of 7, whilst the chapel is now used as the parish hall" 

Geoff Swain Collection 2 July 1993

North Scarle, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, church