Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Stenigot
 
Stenigot, Accommodation Bridge
Stenigot, Accommodation Bridge
Stenigot, Accommodation Bridge

This small accommodation bridge within the Stenigot Estate remains in excellent condition almost 60 years after the closure of the Louth to Bardney branch.

It linked areas of permanent pasture and was also close to woodland developed for game shooting.

May 2013

Stenigot, Louth Bardney railway accommodation bridge
Stenigot, New Farm Cottages
Stenigot, New Farm Cottages
Stenigot, New Farm Cottages

This house and cottages were built between the wars alongside the main road through the village near the church.

undated postcard

Stenigot, new farm cottages
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Chain Home Radar Station
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Chain Home Radar Station
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Chain Home Radar Station

This 360ft (110m) high steel lattice tower at Stenigot (TF 257825) is the only survivor of four transmitting towers forming part of RAF Stenigot Chain Home Radar Station.

The Chain Home system, developed during the Second World War, was the world's first air defence radar system.

Although the site is known as RAF Stenigot it is actually in the parish of Donington.


Chris Lester, 1997

Stenigot, Chain Holme Radar, RAF Stenigot, lattice tower,
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Radar Station
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Radar Station
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Radar Station

A view of RAF Stenigot from the top of the surviving transmitter tower, looking north, taken in 1995.

The building in the left foreground housed a 1950s GEE-H Master Station used for aircraft navigation.

To its right can be seen the bases of another of the four Chain Home transmitter masts.

The building in the right foreground is the Slave Receiver hut of the original wartime GEE installation. Beyond that is the water tower and beyond that is the Standby Set House which housed a diesel generator to provide emergency power.

The 1960s NATO ACE HIGH tropospheric scatter station is located in the fenced compound beyond it.

It is obstructing sight of the Chain Home Receiver building although the four concrete bases of one of the receiver masts can be seen beyond the fence and to the right of the dishes.

Approximately 120 RAF personnel manned the Chain Home site, including police and anti-aircraft gunners to protect it.

Chris Lester, 1995

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Home Chain Radar Station, tropospheric scatter,
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Receiver Building
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Receiver Building
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Receiver Building

This building housed the radar receivers, a calculator room which converted the raw radar data into grid references and altitudes, and a plotting area which was manned largely by WAAFs.

It was situated between four 73 m (240 ft) high wooden receiver masts arranged in a rhomboid pattern.

This Grade II listed building was recently demolished.

Chris Lester, 1995

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, radar, receiver building,
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Site View
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Site View
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Site View

An extended view of the former RAF Stenigot site which includes, to the left, the huge dismantled dishes - each 60ft (18m) across - of the ACE-HIGH microwave NATO communication system, in use from about 1960 to the 1980s.

Frank Robinson, 2010

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, radar,
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Standby Set House
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Standby Set House
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Standby Set House

This fully-protected installation comprised a Mirlees Blackstone diesel engine driving a 60 KVA electrical generator to provide emergency power in the event of a failure of the mains supply.

It was demolished in 1996.

Chris Lester, 1995

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, radar, standby set house,
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Transmitter Building
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Transmitter Building
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Transmitter Building

Two radar transmitters operating in what today would be called the Short Wave Bands were housed in this building.

The building, which is Listed Grade II is protected by blast walls and a layer of gravel on the roof contained within the brick walls, which are visible above the blast walls.

Chris Lester, 1995

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Radar, transmitter building,
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Water Tower
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Water Tower
Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, Water Tower

The radar site is located on top of a hill at 151 m above Ordnance Datum and a good supply of water would have been required for fire-fighting.

It was demolished in 1996. The "domestic” site located half a mile away to the NE had its own water tower which survives today.


Chris Lester, 1995

Stenigot, RAF Stenigot, radar, water tower,
Stenigot, Railway Tunnel
Stenigot, Railway Tunnel
Stenigot, Railway Tunnel

Bridges and tunnel portals along the Louth to Bardney line were strengthened by tie rods and plates as part of the original construction.

This is an example of the design which was common on the line.

May 2013

Stenigot, railway tunnel, tie bar boss end
Stenigot, Railway Tunnel
Stenigot, Railway Tunnel
Stenigot, Railway Tunnel

This is the western portal to the Withcall Tunnel on the former line between Louth and Bardney and is on private land.

The tunnel lies between the parishes of Withcall and Stenigot and passes under the Bluestone Heath Road.

It is 888m (971yds) long and was opened in 1876.

May 2013

Stenigot, railway tunnel, Bardney to Lincoln
Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas

Small red brick church of 1892. St Nicholas, Stenigot, contains monuments, two members of the de Guevara family who came to England with Catherine of Aragon.

They had lost their property by 1660 – the last member of the family was a hairdresser in Market Rasen.

Building locked with no key information.

Mark Acton, 2012

Stenigot, St Nicholas church, de Guevara, Catherine of Aragon
Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas

From this viewpoint can be seen the eastern gable cross, the vestry and the dentil course at gutter level. Also visible is the enormous beech tree which almost dwarfs the church.

Jean Howard, November 2020

Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas

This view shows the west porch and the bell-cote of the Grade II listed church.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063700

The plain cross which can be seen over the hedge is the war memorial.

Jean Howard, November 2020 

Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas, East Window
Stenigot, St Nicholas, East Window
Stenigot, St Nicholas, East Window

The east window is of three lights in Y-tracery. The central light has a small figure of Christ as the Good Shepherd holding a crook within his right arm and a lamb on his left.  His right hand is raised in benediction.

Along the bottom edge the text is ‘In Loving Memory of Eleanor Cave Alington who died 3 April 1892 aged 17 years.  Given by her relations & friends.’

Eleanor was born at Muckton Rectory on 5th May 1874, the only daughter of Revd Charles Argentine Alington.  She died at Bournemouth and was buried at Swinhope as her father was at that time the parson there.

Jean Howard, November 2020 

 


Stenigot, St Nicholas, Eleanor Cave Alington, Charles Argentine Alington, Wsinhope
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Font
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Font
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Font

In the south west corner of the nave is a fifteenth-century octagonal Perpendicular font decorated on each face with a blank shield in a quatrefoil.

This was brought from the old church in the park. That building was partly demolished with just the chancel retained as a mausoleum which fell into disrepair. It is now secured and details can be viewed at:-

https://www.crsbi.ac.uk/view-item?i=2452

Jean Howard, November 2020


Stenigot, St Nicholas
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Gravestone (Burks)
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Gravestone (Burks)
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Gravestone (Burks)

The rose buds and foliage make this an eye-catching headstone to Charles William and Lucy Jane Burks.

He was Farm Manager for Col. H T Fenwick’s land at Donington-on-Bain, living at Manor House Farm there.

The inscriptions read:
In loving memory of Charles Wiiliam Burks, who died January 21st 1935 aged 66 years
Sweetest memories of a dear mother Lucy Jane Burks, died Oct 11th 1960 aged 87

Jean Howard, November 2020
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Charles William Burks
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Interior View
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Interior View
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Interior View

This shows the positions of the two Guevara monuments and that both figures are depicted looking to the east. The door at the far end leads into the vestry.

Jean Howard, November 2020 

Stenigot, St Nicholas, interior
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Interior View
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Interior View
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Interior View

Interior view from the lectern looking west towards the entrance.

Jean Howard, November 2020 

Stenigot, St Nicholas, interior view
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Memorial (Guevara)
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Memorial (Guevara)
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Memorial (Guevara)

Alabaster wall monument showing a male figure wearing a ruff and a long over-gown with optional sleeves.  He kneels on a thick tasselled cushion before a prayer desk decorated with hourglass and skull.

Above his head is a ribbon of text which reads: LA MAYOR VICTORIA DE ELLAS ES ELIBIEN MERECILIAS *  The scene is overtopped with a segmental pediment. The text on a slate panel beneath reads:

HERE LIETH YE BODY OF FRANCIS VELLEZ DE GUEVARA A /
NATURALE SPANNYARDE BORNE IN SEGURA IN YE PROVINCE OF BISCAY /
WHO HAD TO HIS FIRST WIFE DENISE READE DAUGHTER AND HEYRE /
TO JHON READE OF BOSTON IN YE COUNTY OF LINCOLNE ES: /
QUIER BY WHOME HE HAD ISSUE ONE DAUGHTER ELLENE AND /
AFTER MARRIED ANN EGERTON DAUGHTER TO JHON EGER /
TON OF WILLOUGHBY IN YE COUNTY AFORESAIDE ESQUIER /
BY WHOME HE HAD ISSUE 5 SONNES VIZ JHON, PEREGRINE, /
HENRY, WILLIAM, GEORGE AND 5 DAUGHTERS VIZ ANNE, SUSAN,
CATHRINE, ELISABETH AND FRAUNCES AND DIED YE TENTH OF /

FEBRUARY 1592

Francis’s mother was Ynez, daughter of John Sancriz de Salinas. Ynez’s sister, Maria de Salinas came to England with Katherine of Aragon as her Maid of Honour. Maria married into the Willoughby de Eresby family and her daughter Katherine left her cousin Francis (above) a pension of £30.

The de Guevara family lived in the Manor House in Stenigot, the site of which is marked by a moat near the site of the old church.

* Their greatest victory is good merit

Jean Howard, November 2020 

Stenigot, St Nicholas, Francis Vellez de Guevara
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Memorial (Guevara)
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Memorial (Guevara)
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Memorial (Guevara)

Alabaster wall monument on the south wall of the nave showing a male figure kneeling on a tasselled cushion at a prayer desk. The figure is oversailed by a cornice supported on two dark stone columns. The text below reads:

HERE LIETH THE BODIE OF SIR JOHN GUEVARA KNIGHT SOMETIMES DE /
PUTIE WARDEN OF THE EAST MARCHES OF ENGLANDE UNDER THE RIGHT /
HONORABLE PEREGRINE LO: WILLOUGHBY BARON OF WILLOUGHBY BEAK /
AND EACESBY SONNE AND HEIRE TO FRANNCIS GUEVARA ESQUIER WHO MARYED /
ANN DAUGHTER OF ROBERT SANDERSON OF SAXEBY IN THE COUNTIE OF LIN: /
COLNE ESQUIER BY WHOME HE HAD ISSUE 6 SONNES VIZT FRANNCIS JOHN /
WILLIAM, THOMAS, CHARLES, AND ROBERT, AND TWOE DAUGHTERS VIZT /
KATHERINE AND MARY, AND DEPARTED THIS LIEFE THE 6 JUNE 1607

Sir John was the eldest son of Francis whose monument is directly opposite. The two monuments were moved from the old church by faculty dated 8 August 1906.

John went on to have a family that included an eldest son Francis buried here in 1644. There were other siblings and descendants, but the family appears to have died out by the end of the century

Jean Howard, November 2020


Stenigot, St Nicholas, Sir John Guevara
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Royal Arms
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Royal Arms
Stenigot, St Nicholas, Royal Arms

The recently restored Royal Coat of Arms above the entrance door in the west end of the church.

Jean Howard, November 2020 

Stenigot, St Nicholas, Royal coat of arms
Stenigot, St Nicholas, War Memorial
Stenigot, St Nicholas, War Memorial
Stenigot, St Nicholas, War Memorial

Stenigot’s memorial to their dead of WW1 stands by the south west corner of the church.

At the outbreak of war the Lord of the Manor and resident of Stenigot House was Colonel Henry Thomas Fenwick CWG MVO DSO, who had served with distinction in the South African War, 1899-1902.

On 28 February 1923 he unveiled this simple granite cross erected by Mawer Bros., Louth monumental masons.  It is Grade II listed and reads:

IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY
OF
JOHN WILLIAM ANCLIFF
CHARLES FREDERICK BOGG
HENRY COUPLAND
HENRY WILLIAM STONES SMITH
THOMAS HENRY WILES
MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE
GREAT WAR 1914-1918.
"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1434758

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20491

Jean Howard, November 2020 


Stenigot, St Nicholas, Fenwick, Ancliff, Bogg, Coupland, Wiles, Stones,