Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Sutterton
 
Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary

St Mary’s is a large impressive building with clerestory, transepts, crossing-tower and spire.

There has been much rebuilding, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries, but the five-bay arcades and the chancel arch date from c1200.

The fine windows show every Gothic style of tracery.  Pevsner describes the large west window, as ‘uncommonly wilful’.

September 2011 

Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary

Looking towards the south porch.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome structure, with a spire and eight musical bells.

In the south transept are some coarse figures of men, with nearly obliterated inscriptions.

The spire was re-built in 1787.

The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £23. 8s. 4d., and now at £885, is in the gift of the Crown and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Geo. Nott"

DB 3 May 2014

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church
Sutterton, St Mary, Chancel
Sutterton, St Mary, Chancel
Sutterton, St Mary, Chancel

"Chancel largely rebuilt in Cl9, reusing C13 windows, has double piscina and tomb recess and on the north side a double chamfered arch with one shafted reveal.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360517 

DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, chancel
Sutterton, St Mary, Chancel
Sutterton, St Mary, Chancel
Sutterton, St Mary, Chancel

"Chancel walls freely tiled in C19, elaborate mosaic and tiled reredos"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360517 

Flower festival in progress. 

DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, chancel
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy Alice Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy Alice Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy Alice Bonewart

Recently moved into the chancel from the south transept.

"This is said to be an effigy of Alice, wife of Geoffrey Bonewart whose effigy lies to the north. 

An effigy of their son John who was priest here, lies within the altar rail. John died in 1400"

Kelly's Directory 1919 states :-

"in the south transept are three stone monuments, formerly in the churchyard; these consist in each case of a coped tomb, the first of which bears the recumbent effigy of a man in gown and hood, and on the margin is an inscription to John, son of William Bonewort, of Sotton, ob. 1382:

the next tomb supports a recumbent effigy of Alice, wife of the above-named John; the third tomb has the figure of a priest in eucharistic vestments, and is inscribed to John, son of the preceding John Bonewort, and chaplain of Sotton ob. July, 1400"

DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, monument, Effigy Alice Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy Geoffrey Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy Geoffrey Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy Geoffrey Bonewart

Recently moved into the chancel from the south transept.

"This is said to be an effigy of Geoffrey Bonewart, husband of Alice, whose effigy lies to the south. 

An effigy of their son John who was priest here, lies within the altar rail. John died in 1400" 

Kelly's Directory 1919 states :-

"in the south transept are three stone monuments, formerly in the churchyard; these consist in each case of a coped tomb, the first of which bears the recumbent effigy of a man in gown and hood, and on the margin is an inscription to John, son of William Bonewort, of Sotton, ob. 1382:

the next tomb supports a recumbent effigy of Alice, wife of the above-named John; the third tomb has the figure of a priest in eucharistic vestments, and is inscribed to John, son of the preceding John Bonewort, and chaplain of Sotton ob. July, 1400"

DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, monument, Effigy Geoffrey Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy John Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy John Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, Effigy John Bonewart

Recently moved into the chancel from the south transept.

An effigy of John Bonewart ,who was priest here, lies within the altar rail. John died in 1400.

Effigies of his parents Geoffrey and Alice are also in the chancel.

Kelly's Directory 1919 states :-

"in the south transept are three stone monuments, formerly in the churchyard; these consist in each case of a coped tomb, the first of which bears the recumbent effigy of a man in gown and hood, and on the margin is an inscription to John, son of William Bonewort, of Sotton, ob. 1382:

the next tomb supports a recumbent effigy of Alice, wife of the above-named John; the third tomb has the figure of a priest in eucharistic vestments, and is inscribed to John, son of the preceding John Bonewort, and chaplain of Sotton ob. July, 1400"

DB 28 April 2019


DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, Effigy John Bonewart
Sutterton, St Mary, interior
Sutterton, St Mary, interior
Sutterton, St Mary, interior

The arch at the west crossing is pointed but has zigzag decoration and scalloped capitals.

September 2011

Sutterton, St Mary, scalloped capitals
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of St. Mary, founded in the 11th or 12th century, is a cruciform building of stone, in the Late Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, transepts with aisles, south porch and a central embattled tower with crocketed spire, admirably rebuilt in 1787 and containing a clock and 8 bells, dating from 1720 to 1797:

there is also a "Priest's Bell" of the 13th century, inscribed in Longobardic lettering "Symon de Hatfelde me fecit":

the oldest portion of the existing structure consists of the tower piers and arches, the north and south doorways and nave arcades:

of the Early English period are the transept arcades and clerestory of the transept:

the nave clerestory is Decorated:

the chancel retains a double piscina and locker ...

in 1862 the church was restored under the direction of Mr. Edward Browning, architect, when the nave walls and south porch were rebuilt, the arcades repaired, an aisle, now called "the Massingberd aisle," rebuilt on the east side of the south transept, at the cost of a member of that family, once resident here, the floor lowered, and the interior refitted:

the chancel was also entirely rebuilt at the sole cost of the Hon. Charles Cust:

the commnnion table cover, exquisitely wrought, was presented by Mrs. Boothby, widow of the late incumbent:

in 1879 the chancel was restored and the church reseated at a cost of £320, and the centre pane of the east window filled with stained glass, at the cost of the vicar, as a memorial to his mother, Anna Maria Eliza Rowley, daughter of Dr. Adam Clark LL.D. the commentator:

a handsome font was presented in 1881 by the Rev. Thomas Henry Clark M.A. and Mrs. Clark, of Weston-super-Mare :

the church was thoroughly restored 1903-8 at a cost of about £2,000, when a new organ was erected at a cost of £450:

there are 452 sittings"

DB 30 April 2010

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, nave
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave

Looking towards the west window. 

"Late C12 5 bay nave arcades with circular piers, square abaci with nicked out corners, carved capitals with unusual mixture of stiff leaf, interlace and animals, double chamfered arches, hood moulds, one with chevron moulding"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360517 

DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, nave
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, capital

This capital is in the north arcade.

September 2011

Sutterton, St Mary
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, capital

Round piers in the nave arcade have square abaci with nicked corners.  The capitals have small upright leaves.

September 2011

Sutterton, St Mary, capital
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, West Window
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, West Window
Sutterton, St Mary, Nave, West Window

"5 light west window with segmental head and outlandish reticulated tracery. In the gable parapet above the date 1602 and initials BW and WF"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360517 

Modern housing has recently replaced view of the former Beridge Arms which has been demolished.

Kelly's Directory 1919 states "Beridge Arms (J. W. Hardy, proprietor), every accommodation for cyclists & travellers ; full size billiard table ; good stabling ; horses & traps for hire"

DB 28 April 2019

Sutterton, Saint Mary Church, west window, Beridge Arms
Sutterton, St Mary, Royal Arms
Sutterton, St Mary, Royal Arms
Sutterton, St Mary, Royal Arms

Probably the newest Royal Arms in Lincolnshire, painted by Terry Despight in 1981 and showing the arms of Elizabeth II.

Mark Acton 2014

Sutterton, St Mary church, royal arms, Terry Despight
Sutterton, St Mary, south porch
Sutterton, St Mary, south porch
Sutterton, St Mary, south porch

Several parts of St Mary's church were rebuilt in 1861-63, including the entrance to the south porch.

September 2011

Sutterton, St Mary, south porch
Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Stated in "A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Spalding Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Norman Leveritt September 1997 (Revised August 1988) that :-

"i) The first chapel was erected in 1845 in Fosdyke Road, opposite the present one, and sold on the opening of its replacement. It has since been demolished.

ii) It was replaced with a new chapel on a site across the road and opened on the 1.12.1927. The chapel is still in use with a membership of 5" 

DB 30 April 2010

Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Church
Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Flower festival in progress.

DB 30 April 2010

Sutterton, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, church
Sutterton, Windmill (1)
Sutterton, Windmill (1)
Sutterton, Windmill (1)

This mill, at the junction of Mill Lane and Wigtoft Road, was built in 1855 with five floors and four sails.

Jon Sass Collection, photograph 1899

Sutterton, windmill, Jon Sass
Sutterton, Windmill (2)
Sutterton, Windmill (2)
Sutterton, Windmill (2)

William Tuxford of Boston provided some of the original machinery for Sutterton Mill.

Location of mill: TF 273 359

Peter Kirk Collection, 2002

Sutterton, windmill, William Tuxford, Peter Kirk