Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Tealby
 
Tealby, All Saints
Tealby, All Saints
Tealby, All Saints

The ironstone tower of  All Saints is Norman work in its lowest stage, while the nave has architecture dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries.

The chancel, remodelled by James Fowler in 1871, has many memorials to members of the Tennyson d’Eyncourt family of Bayons Manor.

Frank Robinson, November 2014

Tealby, All Saints church, James Fowler, Tennyson D'Eyncourt
Tealby, All Saints
Tealby, All Saints
Tealby, All Saints

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire 1919 states :-

"The church of All Saints, which occupies a commanding site, is a large edifice of stone, in the Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a massive western tower, with embattled parapet and pinnacles and containing a clock and 4 fine toned bells;

the lower portion of the tower is Late Norman:

both aisles are Early English, with some Decorated windows; both the clerestory and aisle walls have Perpendicular embattled parapets with pinnacles; and there is a good timber roof of the same period and some fragments of stained glass:

the chancel, with the exception of some inserted Decorated windows, is of the same style and date as the aisles:

the church was restored in 1872, under the direction of Mr. James Fowler, architect, when the tower arch, an extremely fine example of Late Norman work, was opened; in the course of the work, a good deal of ancient mural decoration was met with, and many portions of tombstones were found to have been used in the construction of the windows; one of these forming the sill of a window, bore an ornamental circular headed cross, with other devices :

the cost of the restoration of the chancel was defrayed by Admiral E.C. Tennyson-d'Eyncourt C.B.;

the stained west window of the south aisle, a memorial to the Rev. Field Flowers B.A. vicar 1835-78, was presented in 1877 by the d'Eyncourt family:

the tower was restored in 1881, at a cost of £350, and a new parapet added, in memory of the Rev. F. Flowers; and in 1891 the late patron, L.C. Tennyson d'Eyncourt restored the chancel roof and presented a handsome reredos and a communion table:

a new organ was provided in 1898:

the church affords 250 sittings"

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel

Pevsner, Harris & Antram comment:-

"The church was restored in 1871-2 by James Fowler, who remodeled the interior of the unusually long chancel.

From this time date the niches with sumptuously carved foliage and tablets to the Tennyson d'Eyncourts of Bayons Manor"

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, chancel
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, East Window
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, East Window
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, East Window

East window showing the heraldic arms of families in the Tennyson lineage.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson's (1809–1892) family at Somersby was estranged from the socially pretentious Tennyson d'Eyncourts of Bayons Manor, Tealby. His poem "Lady Clara Vere de Vere" includes the lines :-

"Kind hearts are more than coronets, And simple faith than Norman blood"

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, stained glass
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Hatchment
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Hatchment
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Hatchment

Tennyson d'Eyncourt hatchment.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, hatchment
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Monument
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Monument
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Monument

One of several Tennyson d'Eyncourt memorials in the church - this in memory of Admiral Edwin Tennyson d'Eyncourt & his wife.

"The second son of Charles Tennyson d'Eyncourt, and a first cousin of the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson, he entered naval college in 1826 and became a lieutenant in 1837.

He served in the South American, East Indies and China Stations during the 1840s.

In 1854, he served in the Baltic campaign under Sir Charles Napier as captain of the gunboat HMS Desperate, and returned to that theatre in 1855 under Rear-Admiral Richard Saunders Dundas, as captain of the steam frigate HMS Pylades.

From 1859 to 1862 he was captain of the blockship HMS Edinburgh as the guardship at Leith.

He attained the rank of rear-admiral in 1866 and retired in 1870, continuing to rise to the rank of admiral by 1878. He was made a Companion of the Bath in 1873"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Tennyson_d%27Eyncourt 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, Edwin Tennyson d'Eyncourt
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Stained Glass
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Stained Glass
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Stained Glass

"Fragments of early C14 canopies of stained glass in north and south chancel windows"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, stained glass
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Stained Glass
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Stained Glass
Tealby, All Saints, Chancel, Stained Glass

"Fragments of early C14 canopies of stained glass in north and south chancel windows"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, stained glass
Tealby, All Saints, Churchyard
Tealby, All Saints, Churchyard
Tealby, All Saints, Churchyard

Looking east across the churchyard from near the south porch with C18 headstones in the foreground.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, churchyard
Tealby, All Saints, Churchyard, War Memorial
Tealby, All Saints, Churchyard, War Memorial
Tealby, All Saints, Churchyard, War Memorial

Unveiled 18th May 1921.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/43009 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, churchyard, war memorial
Tealby, All Saints, Nave
Tealby, All Saints, Nave
Tealby, All Saints, Nave

Looking east towards the chancel with Christmas Tree Festival in progress.

"mid C13 north and south arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, plain capitals and double chamfered pointed arches"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, nave
Tealby, All Saints, Nave
Tealby, All Saints, Nave
Tealby, All Saints, Nave

Looking west towards the tower arch.

"Interior C12 tower arch restored in 1884, has large pointed head of 2 orders"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475

Above, to the north, a round headed opening restored in C19, of unknown purpose.

Above, to the south, early C19 Royal Arms. 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, nave
Tealby, All Saints, Nave, Font
Tealby, All Saints, Nave, Font
Tealby, All Saints, Nave, Font

"C12 octagonal stone font with C19 base"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, font
Tealby, All Saints, Nave, Royal Arms
Tealby, All Saints, Nave, Royal Arms
Tealby, All Saints, Nave, Royal Arms

Early C19 Royal Arms.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, royal arms
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle

Looking east, along the early C14 north aisle, towards a 3 light pointed window with restored interesecting tracery.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, north aisle
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle, Altar Frontal
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle, Altar Frontal
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle, Altar Frontal

Altar frontal displayed at the west end of the north aisle. 

Local signage states :-

"Investigations suggest that this beaded Altar Frontal probably dates from the mid C18 and originated in northern Europe, possibly Germany or Austria.

It was presented to Tealby Church by the Tennyson d'Eyncourt Family in 1891.

It was repaired and restored at Derby Cathedral in 1987"

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, altar frontal, Tennyson d'Eyncourt
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle, East Window
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle, East Window
Tealby, All Saints, North Aisle, East Window

C19 stained glass.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, stained glass, window
Tealby, All Saints, Porch
Tealby, All Saints, Porch
Tealby, All Saints, Porch

"C16 south porch with plinth, moulded eaves and battlements"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, porch
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle

Looking west toward the church entrance.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, south aisle
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle

East end of the south aisle having 3 light pointed window with intersecting tracery

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, south aisle
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle, Brass Plaque
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle, Brass Plaque
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle, Brass Plaque

Brass plaque, beneath the east window of the south aisle, in memory of Admiral Edwin Clayton Tennyson D'Eyncourt and his wife Lady Henrietta.

There is also a monument to the Admiral and his wife in the chancel. 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, brass plaque
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle, East Window
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle, East Window
Tealby, All Saints, South Aisle, East Window

Early C20 stained glass window in memory of Admiral Edwin Clayton Tennyson D'Eyncourt and his wife Lady Henrietta.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, stained glass
Tealby, All Saints, Tower
Tealby, All Saints, Tower
Tealby, All Saints, Tower

"Mid C12 west tower with early C15 4th stage and buttresses"

"tower restored 1881-4"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, tower
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, Benefactions Board
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, Benefactions Board
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, Benefactions Board

Inside the tower at ground floor level.

White's Directory of Lincolnshire 1856 states :-

"The poor parishioners have the following yearly benefactions, viz., 40s. out of the great tithes, left by Anthony Gibbon, at an unknown date; 6s. 8d. out of Temple Garth, left by John Cooper, in 1649; 5s. left by John Foston, out of a house; and 6s. 8d. left by Germain Perkin, out of a house now the property of Mr Wm. Brooks"

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, benefactions board
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, West Door
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, West Door
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, West Door

"Small early C12 west doorway with large plain chamfered impost blocks.

C19 lintel inserted and semi-circular head.

Above, a round headed window of c1175 with small head inside apex with weathered, drooping leaves on either side and hoodmould"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1063475 

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, door
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, West Window
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, West Window
Tealby, All Saints, Tower, West Window

Round headed window of c1175 with stained glass from 1930s.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, All Saints, church, stained glass
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Bayons Manor

This huge picturesque house was built in 1836-42 by Charles Tennyson d’Eyncourt, uncle of the poet Tennyson.

The photo (from a colour slide) shows the west front in c1960.  Bayon’s Manor was blown up by the then owner in 1965.

Courtesy of Frank Robinson

Tealby, Bayons Manor, Charles Tennyson d'Eyncourt
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Charles Tennyson (uncle of Alfred) built the house.
Tealby, Bayons Manor, Charles Tennyson
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Bayons Manor

This huge picturesque house was built in 1836-42 by Charles Tennyson d’Eyncourt, uncle of the poet Tennyson.

Bayons Manor was blown up by the then owner in 1965.

Tealby, Bayons Manor
Tealby, Main Street
Tealby, Main Street
Tealby, Main Street

Tealby, 3 miles north east of Market Rasen, is generally considered to be one of the most beautiful villages in the County.

It was the site of Bayons Manor, a Gothic marvel, built for Charles Tennyson D’Eyncourt between 1836 & 1840. Having become derelict, it was blown up in 1964.

Tealby has a thatched pub, the Kings Head.

undated postcard

Tealby, Tennyson D'Eyncourt
Tealby, Methodist Chapel
Tealby, Methodist Chapel
Tealby, Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Front Street opened in 1819 and closed in 1993.

It is listed Grade II.

July 2017

Tealby, Methodist chapel
Tealby, Primary School
Tealby, Primary School
Tealby, Primary School

The first school at Tealby was erected by Charles Tennyson-d’Eyncourt in 1857/8 and was rebuilt in fine style after a fire in 1889. It was then known as the d’Eyncourt School until the First World War.

July 2017

Tealby, Primary School, Charles Tennyson d'Eyncourt
Tealby, Primary School
Tealby, Primary School
Tealby, Primary School

The main school classroom has a huge window in Perpendicular style and very fine hammer-beam roof.

July 2017

Tealby,
Tealby, The King's Head
Tealby, The King's Head
Tealby, The King's Head

This well-known village pub claims to have its origins in the 1360s, though the thatched mud and stud building shown here is listed by National Heritage as 17th century.

It continues to be a popular pub and restaurant.

See: National Heritage List for England

Tealby, King's Head, public house, thatched
Tealby, Village Sign
Tealby, Village Sign
Tealby, Village Sign

Village sign located near All Saints Church.

DB 22 December 2019

Tealby, Village Sign
Tealby, Village Scene
Tealby, Village Scene
Tealby, Village Scene

Tealby is considered by many to be Lincolnshire's most attractive village. Certainly in the north of the county no other village can boast such an attractive setting and a wide range of house and cottages.

Drawing by Tom Brooker, 1970

Tealby,