Choose a Topic ....
Photograph Galleries
ABCDEFGHIKLMNOPQRSTUWY
Waddingham
 
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (1)
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (1)
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (1)

Anderson's Mill was a four-sailed mill with four floors. It was built in the early nineteenth century.

This view of the working mill is along Silver Street.

William Abey's grocer's shop and post office are on the right.

Jon Sass Collection, undated postcard

Waddingham, windmill, Jon Sass, Silver Street
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (2)
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (2)
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (2)

Anderson's Mill was worked by wind until about 1910 and was driven by engine until 1946.

Since this photograph was taken the mill has been fitted with a replica ogee cap and the tower has been conserved.

It is a Grade II listed structure.

Location: SK 981 961

Peter Kirk Collection, 1999

Waddingham, Anderson's Mill, windmill, Peter Kirk
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (3)
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (3)
Waddingham, Anderson's Mill (3)

"Tower mill. Early C19"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359453 

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, windmill
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Bridge
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Bridge
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Bridge

A cast iron bridge built over the Ancholme in 1931.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Waddingham, Brandy Wharf Bridge
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Inn
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Inn
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Inn
Pearl Wheatley, 2011
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf Inn
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Warehouse
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Warehouse
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, Warehouse
Pearl Wheatley, 2011
Waddingham, Brandy Wharf, warehouse
Waddingham, Chapel Farmhouse
Waddingham, Chapel Farmhouse
Waddingham, Chapel Farmhouse

A farmhouse built in 1740 and substantially altered in the twentieth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Waddingham, Chapel Farm house
Waddingham, Marquis of Granby
Waddingham, Marquis of Granby
Waddingham, Marquis of Granby

Currently closed and being offered for sale with an asking price of £150,000.

There is an entry in Kelly's Directory 1919 "Grassby Jeverson, Marquis of Granby P.H.; good accommodation for cyclists & travellers"

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Marquis of Granby, public house
Waddingham, Old Rectory
Waddingham, Old Rectory
Waddingham, Old Rectory

One of several Anglican rectories built by James Fowler. This one was built in 1860.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Waddingham, The Old Rectory
Waddingham, Old Rectory
Waddingham, Old Rectory
Waddingham, Old Rectory

Old rectory viewed from the churchyard. Kelly's Directory 1919 reports :-

"The living is a rectory, net yearly value £600, including 128 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Joseph Simpson, of Durham University; the rector is non-resident ; the Rev. George Edward Twamley is curate in charge and resides at the rectory"

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, rectory
Waddingham, Old School
Waddingham, Old School
Waddingham, Old School

White's Directory 1872 states :-

"The Free School, which was rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £200, was founded in 1719, by Mr. James Thompson, who endowed it with 21A. of land, called "South-North Hill," 7A. in the Cars, a common-right in Cowfield, and one "rake" in the South Car.

This land is now let for about £150 a year, but eight acres of it are subject to the Ancholme drainage tax"

And "Goldsmith George James, schoolmaster (Free School)"

Kelly's Directory 1905 has " Public Elementary (formerly Free) School, for 120 children; average attendance, 95 ; John Walley, master; children attending this school are eligible, if duly qualified, as candidate for exhibitions connected with Kirton-in-Lindsey School. The school is controlled by 6 members appointed April, 1903; Charles Rand, correspondent".

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, school
Waddingham, Old School House
Waddingham, Old School House
Waddingham, Old School House

A late eighteenth century house.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Waddingham, Old School House
Waddingham, Old Toll Bridge
Waddingham, Old Toll Bridge
Waddingham, Old Toll Bridge

A small brick bridge dating from the late eighteenth century.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Waddingham, Old Toll Bridge
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodists built a chapel on the corner of Silver Street and High Street in 1859.

In 1865 a schoolroom was built on the adjoining site on High Street. The two buildings are seen here on the right.

undated postcard

Waddingham, Primitive methodist chapel
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel

The former Primitive Methodist chapel schoolroom, built in 1865, is the current Methodist Chapel in the village.

The larger chapel was demolished in 1993 and is now an open space for car parking.

Pearl Wheatley, 2011

Waddingham, Primitive Methodist chapel
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)

"A List And Brief Details Of Chapels In The Brigg Circuit Past And Present” prepared by Colin Shepherdson & Mervyn White September 1997 (Revised July 1998) states :-

"The first chapel was built in 1835 on the corner of Silver Street and High Street.

A second chapel, on the same site, was opened in August 1859.

The foundation stone for the adjacent schoolroom was laid on the 26.4.1865 and the building opened on the 1.10.1865.

The two buildings were connected in 1960 by a block containing toilets and a kitchen.

The chapel was demolished in 1993, because necessary repairs were too costly, but the congregation, membership of 17, continue to meet in the schoolroom.

There are long term plans to replace the chapel on the same site"

DB 27 December 2020 


Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)
Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel (Schoolroom)

Date stone reading "PRIMITIVE METHODIST SCHOOL 1865".

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Primitive Methodist Chapel School
Waddingham, Redbourne Road
Waddingham, Redbourne Road
Waddingham, Redbourne Road

Waddingham lies near the A15, 10 miles south east of Scunthorpe.

It was originally two settlements: Stainton and Wadingham. Its present population is around 550.

Undated postcard

Waddingham,
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

The tower dates from the fifteenth century but the arcades inside were built about two hunded years earlier.

Peter Kirk Collection, 1990

Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

The fifteenth century (Perpendicular style) church tower seen from the west.

Jews' Court collection, 1978

 

Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

Kelly's Directory 1919 states "The church of St. Mary and St. Peter is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower of Perpendicular date, with crocketed pinnacles, containing a clock and 4 bells :

the chancel is Early English, and the porch an excellent example of the Early Decorated style :

the church was restored in 1862, at a cost of £840, defrayed by subscription :

the chancel was rebuilt in 1858, at the expense of the Rev. W. W. Berry, a former rector :

the paten and the chalice are of plain 16th century workmanship :

there are sittings for 220 persons"

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Saint Mary & St Peter, church, image
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

"The 3 stage tower has a moulded plinth and 2 chamfered string courses rising to embattled parapet"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359451 

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Saint Mary & St Peter, church, image
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

White's Directory 1872 states :-

"Here were anciently two Churches, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Peter; but only the former now remains, upon a commanding eminence, and all traces of the latter are gone.

It consists of nave, having a clerestory, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch and vestry, and was restored in 1862, at an expense of £840, raised by subscription, except the cost of the restoration of the chancel, which was defrayed by the rector.

It contains an organ, built by Nicholson of Lincoln" 

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Saint Mary & St Peter, church, image
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

"Parish church. C13, C15, restoration c.1860 by James Fowler".

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359451 

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Saint Mary & St Peter, church, image
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter

North side of church.

"In the north side are C19 2 light windows and a blocked early C13 pointed doorway with simply moulded imposts and chamfered hood mould".

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359451 

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Saint Mary & St Peter, church, image
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter, Porch
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter, Porch
Waddingham, St Mary & St Peter, Porch

"The C19 south gabled porch has a moulded outer arch with leafy label stops"

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1359451 

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Saint Mary & St Peter, church, image, porch
Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green

Village green with a tree that was planted "TO COMMEMORATE THE CORONATION OF THEIR MAJESTIES KING EDWARD VII AND QUEEN ALEXANDRA. JUNE 26TH 1902".

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, Village Green
Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green

Plaque attached to railings at base of tree.

"THIS TREE WAS PRESENTED TO THE PARISH BY MR H.HIRD & PLANTED BY MR G.KIRBY ON BEHALF OF MRS KIRBY TO COMMEMORATE THE CORONATION OF THEIR MAJESTIES KING EDWARD VII AND QUEEN ALEXANDRA. JUNE 26TH 1902".

George and Frank Kirby listed in Kelly's Directory 1905 as two of the principal landowners in the parish.

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, The Green

Village sign with images of the church and Anderson's Mill.

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, The Green
Waddingham, War Memorial
Waddingham, War Memorial
Waddingham, War Memorial

War memorial in St Mary and St Peter's churchyard unveiled 7th September 1919.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54402

DB 27 December 2020

Waddingham, War Memorial